SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Maybe try blaming MicroBillG, that might make you feel a bit better Balze. There are those that will profit in ways that are hard to comprehend from such a thing as the cv.

As far as your situation which is more financial that anything else as you tell it here. Surely those in the oil industry feel real, real, bad about having the raise the price at the pump when one of their little dealios cause the price of fuel to be $4 $5 a gallon and the incredible hardships that cause to the ten's of thousands of American households trying to keep it together on a shoestring budget that have little to look forward to other than making it through another day.

Hang in there and pull it together. We are not against you. But not necessarily buying your current poor me tune right now either.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Hang in there and pull it together. We are not against you. But not necessarily buying your current poor me tune right now either.

Poor me tune? No, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about me. One canceled vacation? Who cares? It's the economy getting crushed over tens of thousands of vacations being canceled, business travel being canceled, supply disruptions, etc. that has me worried. I fear the timing of all of this and the implications thereof to our country.

My situation? I'm just fine. Anyway, getting on a plane in a few minutes. Which reminds me, time to slam this whiskey and head to the gate.

Ciao.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Save travels, are you and "Skins" brothers? I have trouble keeping you two separate Razz

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
And now the Dow posts its 3rd largest point gain on Trump's economic stimulus package.

DJIA 25,018 +1167 (4.89%)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
And now the Dow posts its 3rd largest point gain on Trump's economic stimulus package.

Shows trust in leadership!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Shows trust in leadership!
I feel better about buying more of my employer’s (integrated oil & gas) stock yesterday

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
So we recover about half of what we lost the previous day?

Posts: 789 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Save travels, are you and "Skins" brothers? I have trouble keeping you two separate Razz

Huh? I like Alan, but we are not brothers or even anything more than imaginary friends. To make it easier his picture is a lion, mine are rotating DC sports teams.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
So we recover about half of what we lost the previous day?

Yeah, maybe it goes down tomorrow, maybe it goes up but staying the course in the long run is the idea. You only lose money when you sell during a drop. Hang tight, your steadiness will be rewarded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Huh? I like Alan, but we are not brothers or even anything more than imaginary friends. To make it easier his picture is a lion, mine are rotating DC sports teams.

Yeah, made me scratch me head too. I certainly wasn't offended by the notion however.

Oh crap! Time to slam this Ginger & Old Forester and grab my connection.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Better drink it up before the unwashed hoards go after your bourbon.

We are on opposite sides of this you are more blasé (pun intended) about it, me not so much. It's already affecting me. My schedule is only half filled for next few days, and nearly empty next week, there's usually no less than a week wait to get appointment with me. Believe it or not electrical repairs are elastic people stop fixing their broken stuff based on consumer confidence. New installs and upgrades are very elastic, but that is more obvious.

Got food and water just in case, got savings in the bank. This will hurt for me, but not nearly as much as others in my field. The one thing I don't have is vacation time, I only get five days a year and can't carry any over.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Better drink it up before the unwashed hoards go after your bourbon.

We are on opposite sides of this you are more blasé (pun intended) about it, me not so much. It's already affecting me. My schedule is only half filled for next few days, and nearly empty next week, there's usually no less than a week wait to get appointment with me. Believe it or not electrical repairs are elastic people stop fixing their broken stuff based on consumer confidence. New installs and upgrades are very elastic, but that is more obvious.

Got food and water just in case, got savings in the bank. This will hurt for me, but not nearly as much as others in my field. The one thing I don't have is vacation time, I only get five days a year and can't carry any over.

He was blase about it until it until it started to affect his industry with the "anxiety all of us feel today." Once he got called on it he backpeladed quickly and pretended not to care anymore.

Posts: 11 | Location: Foothills of SLC | Registered: November 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^who the fuck are you, and why should I give a damn what you say? Did you join SIGforum to talk about guns or viruses? Might want to stick to the gun section a bit and get a lay of the land before attacking someone who's been here far longer than you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^who the fuck are you, and why should I give a damn what you say? Did you join SIGforum to talk about guns or viruses? Might want to stick to the gun section a bit and get a lay of the land before attacking someone who's been here far longer than you.

I know I'm not part of your little sewing circle, but you have to admit that it is fun to watch someone like Alan get owned when his hypocrisy is pointed out to him. He went from *get the hell over" "the silly overreaction" to poor me and the "anxiety we [in my industry] feel today" inside of a day only because he realized that it may suddenly affect him. He is trying to backpedal and talk about the macro economic effect as opposed to his, but his earlier words betray his revision.

Posts: 11 | Location: Foothills of SLC | Registered: November 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
And who’s this guy?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Eric.Stober.SLC:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
For those of us who work in the energy field, particularly the crude oil and refinery market, the talk of cheaper gas at the gas pump as some kind of consolation doesn't exactly make up for the anxiety many of us are feeling today.

Sucks when it affects you doesn't it? You're probably just having a silly overreaction and need to snap the hell out of it like you advised everyone earlier in this thread.

Where did you get the impression that this hasn't been affecting me all the while? You see, that's the thing. It's been affecting me through this whole hysterical episode just like it's been affecting damn near everyone. That's why I'm ranting about what I believe is totally irrational behavior to something that, yes, should be taken seriously, but not to an extent that is completely non-proportional to the threat.

People are losing their jobs, companies are going bankrupt, people who were looking to retire this year may now have to rethink that due to the nonsense in the market (and I actually work with someone exactly in that position), and all of that is due not to people actually getting sick with Covid-19 but to fear and panic mostly perpetuated by the media and Democrats.

And just an hour ago I got word that the conference I was to attend next month is now canceled. I mentioned this earlier that I feared it would be nixed, and now it has. Normally I actually wouldn't mind, but I have an entire trip booked with my family based around going to this conference. That's going to be a personal and financial inconvenience, not really a huge deal, but it still sucks. It sucks even worse for the companies that will now lose my business. Multiply that by thousands and people (employees) are truly hurting from this hysteria.

As far as the oil markets, your Schadenfreude, sir, is misplaced. And for a member with only seven posts and a few months on the forum, it was an especially bold and immodest gesture on your part.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

If you've read all of the previous posts, it's kind of deserved.

Shame on you, Jimmy.

The stock market was long overdue for a minor correction to begin with. But aside from that, the MAJORITY of the stock market losses are caused by things outside of this country. Mainly fallout from China, goods/raw materials/ key components/supply chain interruptions and NOW Italy. Then the oil war between Russia and Saudi is the second key component. The travel industry fallout is the third reason. What's going on inside the U.S., the panic is the last reason. But not THE REASON.

Even Hoberg Paper Company's stock is following the DOW and they make Charmin toilet paper which is reportedly flying off of the shelves ALL over this country. You think their stock would be at 52 week high!

If you look back at 9/11, we had a serious interruption in the travel sector. But NO goods interruption whatsoever. This has BOTH AND OIL industry issues combined with it being in an election year. So, it's a quadruple whammy.

As far as the stock market goes, this too shall pass and the market will rebound, it always does. Just stay seated in your seat.

"Self quarantine, drink beer, and chillllllllllloutttttt.....

The amount of freaking out over a cold is aaaaamaaazing..... " Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was kind of what I meant by my post. We can disagree with someone, even vehemently, but it carries more weight with someone with somewhat of a presence here. It is easy to get nasty from behind the keyboard when you don't realize how a cool thing it is to be a member here.

ETA, I tend to defer to a long time member than a noob. Especially those with "Balze" or "Skins" in the game. Wink

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Smile Smile
Balze and Skins, that seems like sumptin right there.

I love you guys so just having a little fun. It just seems like you guys post multiple times in the same threads. Maybe internet bro's Wink
Probably just me Razz

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smile Smile
Balze and Skins, that seems like sumptin right there.

I love you guys so just having a little fun. It just seems like you guys post multiple times in the same threads. Maybe internet bro's Wink
Probably just me Razz

I think we both just read a lot of the news and have commentary on current events. I would totally but that guy a beer (maybe a bourbon/whiskey) if we bumped into each other though.

ETA Blaze-n-Skinz might be a good cover band name. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
And who’s this guy?

It's...Eric...Stober....from SLC.

I think he's wearing khakis. Razz

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post