SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Surveillance System
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Surveillance System Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great job!

One suggestion, most folks try to do too much with a single camera, try to 'cover" too big of an area which while it gives you situational awareness, doesn't give you good ID. Think in terms of "choke points".

On the driveway cam, angle down a bit to get better ID coverage of your car in the drive. You won't be able to ID anyone across the street anyway. Same with the front door cam.

Best thing to do next is walk around in front of each camera, thinking and acting like a bad guy. Car, front door, etc. Replay the video and ask yourself if you can ID that person if you didnt know who it was. Can you hand it to LE for ID?

The other common mistake is mounting cams too high....getting great images of bald spots.

Ideal height covering doors etc is usually 6-7ft.

Example at 7ft height and 12' away from vehicle - skip ahead to 0:46 bad guy enters scene from left.
(change Youtube player to 1080p)

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Great points. I definitely have to go back and aim them better. I think I have all my doors covered good, definitively better than what I had before. My biggest blind spot was under my deck where both boors to my basement are. I have one aiming right at them now. It would still be hard to get a face though, so I might have to think about that a little bit more.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:

One suggestion, most folks try to do too much with a single camera, try to 'cover" too big of an area

The other common mistake is mounting cams too high....getting great images of bald spots.

Ideal height covering doors etc is usually 6-7ft.

All true and good points.

Another problem can develop with scenes farther away when you use a cam with a too short focal length.

Use more cams and place them correctly is great advice.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
cams are addictive. You get a few and you want more to cover blind areas.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Which cams did you end up using?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I used 7 Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z cams.

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z

Where did you end up ordering them from??
Mine took almost 3 weeks to arrive. Yours got here quick.

————————————————

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely guilty of dressing in all black and trying to sneak around my own house and property to test the coverage. It's fun, and actually useful - exposing the problem areas.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z

Where did you end up ordering them from??
Mine took almost 3 weeks to arrive. Yours got here quick.

I was going to get them here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/ite....13010608.0.0.t64wEH

It would have taken 2 - 3 weeks or I could have opted for $60 in shipping to get them a little quicker.

I ended up just getting them on Amazon though:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am a prime member, and I felt more comfortable getting them form Amazon if I wanted to return them for any reason. I could have saved some money though.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Ok every thing is up and running good. I ended up using a case and Mobo I had here that was going to be another build. I have the android app and it works well. Accessing the web server from other devices is pretty straight forward. Very happy with the results.

I've already bought another camSmile

Here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/a/4qkem

posted Hide Post
Nice work.

Another thing to consider, if you are port forwarding, you're exposing your system to ever increasing hacks. I had a DVR at Mom's get hacked a few weeks ago. They are running automated scripts looking for NVR/DVRs and cams by Dahua and HIK that are port forwarding for remote viewing. Doesn't matter if you have strong passwords or not (I did) as most of this stuff is not exactly secure from the factory.

Many IoT devices haven't looked at network security as a priority...

Best to setup a VPN to access your system remotely. Most Asus and Netgear routers come with the free OpenVPN software and its relatively easy to setup.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Ok every thing is up and running good. I ended up using a case and Mobo I had here that was going to be another build. I have the android app and it works well. Accessing the web server from other devices is pretty straight forward. Very happy with the results.

I've already bought another camSmile

Here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/a/4qkem

Looking good. I love that deep blue siding.
Did you mount any of the the cameras to the soffit???
The Dahuas are pretty stout I am guessing a wood bracket needs to be added in the attic to support the weight??
My place is all brick so I need to mount them from the soffit and can't utilize the wall like you did as easily and hide the wire.

————————————————

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks, I just had it painted last year. I did not mount any to the soffits. My house was built in 64 so I have the old wood soffits underneath. Steel siding was done over the existing wood siding I believe. If you have a newer house you will have to see what is behind the soffit. Most likely you will have to add some backing to mount the cams. If you don't want to drill into the brick that is probably what you will need to do.

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Tag

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Any pointers on how to tweak my settings so snow and rain don't trip my cams? Trying to find some info on this but can't seem to find anything useful.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This was some really good advice on cam systems-

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a mention about using an infrared illuminator/spotlight in areas where camera(s) might have a long view or places with lots of snowfall. The "spotlights" look like this-

I had to use them on one gunshop friend's setup in Western NY where he had one camera that had a long view and needed some help. These infrared spotlights are easy to install and really give a boost up to 300 feet or more. Most of them auto-switch on when available light is below 10lux by CDS. The 950nm illuminators are the stealth LEDS and only appear as a dim purple glow to the naked eye.

One thing- Before purchasing, you need to check your IR capable camera's specifications and closely "match" the Illuminator wavelength with your camera(s) wavelength.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
My cams are recording constantly because of the snow blowing around. Need to figure out how to stop that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
With standard motion detection on most any camera, you're going to get a lot of false alarms. Many have sensitivity settings but its a trade off with missing video that you really need by having the sensitivity low enough to not pick up shadows, leaves, bugs and yeah snow. Standard MD simply senses a change in pixels, not like a true PIR sensor.

Why dont you record 24/7? My cameras record 24/7, I record motion events also but use those to quickly find events in the recording timeline. With 24/7 recording you are able to get a much better picture of what happened leading up to and after the event.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have 8 cams, and with 3 or 4 of them recording the cpu is maxed out at 100%. Is that normal? Everything seems real sluggish. I am guessing that something can be tweaked just sure what.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Changing the sensitivity did nothing.