SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Surveillance System
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Surveillance System Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Are you running Blue Iris? I run a Dahua DVR and I’m recording 8 cams at 30 FPS and 6144 bitrate with no problem. Could be not enough computer, you may want to head over to ipcamtalk.com and ask about BI Settings, lots of good BI info over there.

You could try backing off the FPS and bitrate and see if that helps.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
My cams are recording constantly because of the snow blowing around. Need to figure out how to stop that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

In Western NY I never solved the lake effect/blowing snow triggering my cameras issue- (until I moved away from the tundra, which isn't really an answer).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 8 cams, and with 3 or 4 of them recording the cpu is maxed out at 100%.
Is that normal? Everything seems real sluggish.
I am guessing that something can be tweaked just sure what.

Changing the sensitivity did nothing.

Change your compression and don't over do it on the frame rate.
Also if you are running a VMS (software) set the motion detector to camera side control vs server side (controlled by the VMS).
I know bigredfish uses 30fps but it is not necessary, 10 to 15 is standard unless you need it for a fast action area such as watching a cash drawer in a business.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
My cams are recording constantly because of the snow blowing around. Need to figure out how to stop that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Heavy rain at night gets me. We haven't had snow since mine have gone up but I am guessing it will get me too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
Are you running Blue Iris?

Yes Blue Iris

quote:
I run a Dahua DVR and I’m recording 8 cams at 30 FPS and 6144 bitrate with no problem. Could be not enough computer, you may want to head over to ipcamtalk.com and ask about BI Settings, lots of good BI info over there.

You could try backing off the FPS and bitrate and see if that helps.

Computer specs:
Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 430, Power Supply 100-W1-0430-KR
Gigabyte - GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory - BLS2K8G4D26BFSBK
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - WD Purple 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Also if you are running a VMS (software) set the motion detector to camera side control vs server side (controlled by the VMS).
I know bigredfish uses 30fps but it is not necessary, 10 to 15 is standard unless you need it for a fast action area such as watching a cash drawer in a business.

Thanks for the info will give that a try when I get home today.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why dont you record 24/7? My cameras record 24/7, I record motion events also but use those to quickly find events in the recording timeline. With 24/7 recording you are able to get a much better picture of what happened leading up to and after the event.

I have been thinking about doing this when I get a dedicated machine for the cams. For 8 cams what size drive should one have?
I think a 10 save on the video would be fine. I try to clear it out every couple of days manually.

quote:
quote:
I have 8 cams, and with 3 or 4 of them recording the cpu is maxed out at 100%.
Is that normal? Everything seems real sluggish.
I am guessing that something can be tweaked just sure what.

Changing the sensitivity did nothing.

I currently have the following but outside of Frame Rate and Resolution I really don't know what the rest of the stuff means.

Code-Stream Type - General
Encode Mode H.264H
Smart Codec - OFF
Resolution 1.3M (1280*960)
Frame Rate - 15
Bit Rate Type - CBR
Bitrate 1792
I Frame Interval - 30
Watermark Character - Digital CCTV

Any of these I can adjust some to help bring my CPU usage down as well? The Frame Rate was at 25 so I dropped it to 15.

I also switched the motion detection to the camera from the software.
Hopefully BlueIris will still send me alerts.
I chose the box in the triggers tab for camera's digital input or motion from Motion sensor.

————————————————

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Code-Stream Type - General
Encode Mode H.264H
Smart Codec - OFF
Resolution 1.3M (1280*960)
Frame Rate - 15
Bit Rate Type - CBR
Bitrate 1792
I Frame Interval - 30
Watermark Character - Digital CCTV

Any of these I can adjust some to help bring my CPU usage down as well? The Frame Rate was at 25 so I dropped it to 15.

I also switched the motion detection to the camera from the software.
Hopefully BlueIris will still send me alerts.
I chose the box in the triggers tab for camera's digital input or motion from Motion sensor.

Use VBR (variable bit rate).

•CBR stands for constant bit rate, aims for a constant or unvarying bandwidth level with video quality allowed to vary
•VBR stands for variable bit rate and allows the bit rate to vary but maintains a constant video quality level
•MBR stands for maximum bit rate allowing the bit rate to vary but only up to a maximum value, effectively VBR with a cap.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
For you Blue Iris folks, I found this on IPCAMTALK.com:

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/opt...ue-iris-s-cpu-usage/

Maybe some of this may help.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
For you Blue Iris folks, I found this on IPCAMTALK.com:

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/opt...ue-iris-s-cpu-usage/

Maybe some of this may help.

Thanks

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Hey Black, on your settings

Why running less than 2mp resolution with 2mp cams?
That bitrate is very low. Double it a couple of times and see video quality difference
Rule of thumb is to match Iframe to FPS

I know a lot of Pro installers say to trim back FPS, bitrate etc, but that is due to bandwidth restrictions over the wire. At home should be a non issue. If I buy a Ferrari I don’t put a 60mph governer on it Wink

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to your question on HD capacity:
I run all 8 cams 24/7, at 1980x1080 (2mp), 6144 bitrate, 30fps, and 7fps at 720x480 on the secondary sub-stream for mobile remote viewing.

I use two 4TB hard drives and get 14-15 days recording using H264H

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think most of the concern is for high cpu utilization with Blue Iris (or maybe in general)?
Not so much on bandwidth or storage.
In many cases in you can push the envelope but if you reach the limit (bandwidth, storage, cpu, etc) you just need to address that individually.
YMMV

posted Hide Post
That makes sense. One of the reasons I like the newer Dahua DVR/NVR's is that they support the full capabilities of the cameras and just work.

There are a few things the BI can do better, but the list is pretty small..

Hard to beat this one, I've two on order, one for me and one for a buddy.
http://www.cctv-mall.com/nvr52...sion-2-4-conformance

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
That makes sense. One of the reasons I like the newer Dahua DVR/NVR's is that they support the full capabilities of the cameras and just work.

There are a few things the BI can do better, but the list is pretty small..

Hard to beat this one, I've two on order, one for me and one for a buddy.
http://www.cctv-mall.com/nvr52...sion-2-4-conformance

I like the idea of a DVR/NVR especially considering the cost of about $330 after buying a couple of hard drives.
That price is a bit cheaper than any PC one would buy to run Blue Iris.

Here are the issues I think in my case running a DVR/NVR. If I am wrong and there are work arounds please let me know.

One is limited to Dahua cameras with this DVR (Not a huge deal exactly I just would need to replace one Amcrest).

Not sure Dahua has any wifi cameras or they are compatible with this DVR/NVR. Due to location on 1 camera there is pretty much no way I can run an Ethernet cable to it. Not sure running a Powerline kit to an outside outlet is a good idea. That is about my only option.

Each camera has to be plugged directly into the DVR/NVR. My DVR/NVR would have to be in my utility closet in the basement which is a horrible location for me to view and work.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
That NVR like most nowadays will run any ONVIF compliant camera. That said, mixing brands may mean you lose some proprietary features of a given cam, but most will work fine.

On the Wifi connecting to the Dahua NVR, I'm not honestly certain. Doubtful. Dahua does make some Wifi Cameras, but They are fairly new and I cant find much on them. Wifi just drops out too much to be reliable. If you have line of sight, many praise the Ubiquity Nanos as being very reliable. pricey though. Here's good info on them:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/...ss-ip-cameras.21907/

If you are running IP cameras no need to home run each cable back to the NVR. You can add POE switches and run many cams to one spot or various spots with only the cable to the switch running back to the NVR. (If you get a POE NVR then yes, but most have the choice of models allowing use of your own external POE switch)

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well we may be on to something here then.

Is it possible to fully control the DVR/NVR from a PC on the network?

If that is the case I could easily Home run the cams to the DVR/NVR in the closet in the basement and run it from my PC in the office.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Yup sure can.

My DVR is 40ft away from my router and my laptop on my desk. Laptop connects to router via Wifi and so does the DVR using a Netgear WNCE 3001 Internet adapter that sits at the DVR providing network access on my LAN.

The Dahua DVR has a web interface so you just log into say 192.168.1.101 via browser on the laptop and walla, you are into the DVR... or cameras for that matter as they will all have their own IP on the LAN as well.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk router that comes with free OpenVPN (I think the Asus routers do also), so I use VPN to connect into my system from outside my network, like with the Dahua iphone app (iDMSS) to view cameras and get alarms etc... I can also VPN in on my laptop and control the full DVR remotely like I can from my desk.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Since clearly I am a novice with this stuff how difficult is the DVR/NVR to get up and running?
In other words how much am I going to be bothering you?
I like Blue Iris and works very well. It has just maxed out my PC pretty much with 2 cameras so I I need a new one. And the OP here has built one heck of a PC and still has a ton of CPU usage and he spent a pretty penny building his PC.
You seem to have zero issues running 8 cameras, I will likely be fine with 6, with the DVR/NVR that costs about the same as the processor alone to build a PC to make Blue Iris shine.

Seems kind of silly to stick with Blue Iris.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Ha! No worries man, that's what they make TeamViewer for Wink I do this stuff as a hobby so no problem dialing in and helping you out.

Seriously if you can figure out BI you'll not have too much trouble learning the NVR. I'm about 1/2 IP networking challenged and old, if I can figure it out you can.

There's a huge thread on that specific machine over at the ipcamtalk forum
Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

It and the 5231 Starlight cam are the most widely used and regarded pieces of Dahua kit over there so lots of info and lots of folks smarter than me to help out if we get stuck. There was a problem with firmware when they first came out, and of course with tens of thousands of video surveillance nerds poking around, inevitably someone will break almost anything if they try hard enough Wink Dont be the first to upgrade firmware on cams or NVR's. Let others be the Beta testers.

I'm on an older Tribrid DVR currently, but I'm ordering one for me and a buddy. Mine wont be installed for a while as its for the HOA and will be after some construction work is done in the neighborhood so we can play with yours till then Wink

Look, plenty of folks are very happy with BI and it does have a few features not found in NVR's if you like tweaking and playing with computer settings. There are also a number of other higher end VMS systems out there to run on a PC. I quickly decided that the important thing is settings and placement of the cameras themselves, lighting, sensors, and focusing on getting that money shot ID for LE. I'm way over the tweaking for the sake of tweaking phase.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like Blue Iris and works very well. It has just maxed out my PC pretty much with 2 cameras so I I need a new one. And the OP here has built one heck of a PC and still has a ton of CPU usage and he spent a pretty penny building his PC.You seem to have zero issues running 8 cameras, I will likely be fine with 6, with the DVR/NVR that costs about the same as the processor alone to build a PC to make Blue Iris shine.Seems kind of silly to stick with Blue Iris.

I understand your concern.
However, if you have a configuration problem where something is inadvertently out of whack or just misconfigured, would you think a NVR is going to solve the problem?
These NVR's are just cheap ass computers with some other cheap built in components like a poe switch.
They COULD (just be the softaware).
From what I've read Blue Iris is more cpu intensive than other software.
It may be in the VMS software as the DVR's usually have a basic software embedded as well.
Perhaps try another software package.
Normally, if properly configured it does not take a lot of computer power.

https://ipvm.com/reports/free-vms-software-directory

Open Source/Free

Open source options for VMSes are limited, with only a handful available:
•iSpy - Visual Studio 2015 source code is available as well as precompiled installable versions.
•OpenCVR/Rapidvms from veyesys
•Shinobi - Open source VMS, developed in node.js
•veyesys Rapidvms - Offers opensource code for most of the VMS platforms, but some components are only available as binaries.
•Zoneminder - Offers precompiled packages for linux distros, and also open source code.

Free With Restricted Use

These products all work without any timeout period, but generally have limitations around the number of channels or the amount of storage supported in the free version.
•Alnet Systems Netstation - 4 channels, 7 days recording, software login required every 8 hours
•Argus DVR - Fully functional demo, displays "Unregistered" watermark on video
•Arteco Me - 2 channels
•ATVideo VMS - No restrictions
•Axxon Next - 4 channels, 1TB storage
•Devline Line - 16 channels, no time limit, but only offers live viewing, no recording
•GeniusVision NVR - 16 channels, non-commercial use only
•Herospeed VMS - 64 channels, but partially stolen from Milestone / Video Insight
•ipConfigure Orchid - 4 Channels/128GB storage free. Raspberry Pi version with no hard limits, effectively limited to 4-8 cameras, depending on resolution
•ISS SecureOS - 4 channels
•Luxriot Evo - 1080p max resolution supported
•March Networks Command Lite - 6 channels, 1 week of recording
•Milestone Essential - 8 channels, no storage limits, requires annual renewal for free license key
•NovoSun - 64 channels
•Pelco DigitalSentry - 4 channels
•Pelco VideoXpert Professional - 1 year trial (renewable) for 4 channels
•Sighthound - 1 channel, low resolution only
•Trassir - 8 channels

Free For Trial Period

Products in this group generally offer full functionality, but timeout after a limited period.
•Aimetis Symphony - 30 day trial
•Avigilon Control Center - 30 day trial of Enterprise product, sales people can provide 180 day trial keys
•Axis Camera Station - 30 day trial
•Blue Iris - 15 day trial with watermark on video
•CathexisVision - 5 channels, 60 day trial
•Digital Watchdog Spectrum - 4 cameras, 30 day trial
•Digifort VMS - 30 day trial
•Exacq - 45 day trial, request key here
•IndigoVision Control Center - 5 camera/45 day trial, longer trial periods can be requested
•Logiware go1984 - 30 day trial
•Ksenos - 90 day trial
•Macroscop - 30 day trial
•Milestone XProtect - 30 day trial of any version, 8 channels/5 days storage
•netavis Observer - 30 day trial, 20 channels
•Network Optix nxWitness - 4 cameras, 30 day trial
•OnSSI Occularis - 30 day trial, requires providing project/user details
•SecuritySpy - (runs on OS X) 30 day trial
•SeeTec Cayuga - 30 day trial
•Sony RealShot Manager 30 day trial for up to 32 channels
•Vicon Valerus - 30 day trial
•VideoInsight VI Monitor - 60 day trial, up to 99 cameras
•Wavestore VMS - 30 day trial

Free With Same-Brand Cameras

Several manufacturers have VMSes that do not require a license when used with their own brand of cameras, these are listed here.
•ACTi NVR - Free for use with ACTi cameras + 1 free channel for non-ACTi cameras
•Axis Camera Companion - Only works with Axis cameras, 16 channel limit
•GeoVision G-VMS - Free for up to 32 GeoVision devices
•Mobotix Control Center - Free for Mobotix cameras
•Sony RealShot Manager - 9 channels free for use with Sony cameras
•Video Insight VI Monitor - Free when used with Panasonic cameras
•Vivotek VAST - 32 channels free when used with Vivotek cameras