SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Full Size SUV will the wife choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Full Size SUV will the wife choose? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
A BIG thanks to MattW for checking out a 2018 Sequoia TRD Sport for us today. That is the model we would get if she wants the Sequoia and there are like 9 for sale nationwide at the moment with the closest being in South Carolina.
He happened to be passing by the particular dealership today and stopped. They were closed but the Sequoia was unlocked when he got there. So he gave it a good once over and sent some pictures.

After some more discussion at dinner I think she is going to go with the Suburban/Yukon XL. She really wants the Sequoia but wants the bigger vehicle for these growing boys and their stuff. Which I have to agree with.

Best options locally are:

2016 Suburban w/ 40k miles nicely equipped for $37,400
2018 Suburban w/ 35k miles nicely equipped for $38,900
2016 Yukon XL Denali 52k miles SILLY equipped for $40,900
All prices prior to negotiations so far.

That 6.2L in the Denali though!!!!
But paying for 22” tires every 35k miles or so is not all that exciting and all the crazy little electronic things that could go bad eventually.

But it is one slick looking ride!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Option one I would scratch.

Option two and three sound good. I personally would probably go with option three. That said, I drive about 5k miles a year. So every seven years a set of tires isn’t bad.
Now if I was clocking 35k a year, I wouldn’t do the 22”. Plus, personally, most 22’s look silly. Of they look good, than maybe.
Now the engine in the Denali would maybe be enough for me to forget about the big ass wheels and jump on it.

Okay, I talked myself into it. The Denali. Unless it’s black. I won’t ever iwn a black car after the E63.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
2016 Yukon XL Denali 52k miles SILLY equipped for $40,900... That 6.2L in the Denali though!!!! 'Tis one slick looking ride!

You can get the one you wanted, or the one you wished you did. The price of 22"s will go down, but you can't add the 6.2 for $3,500 even if you did it yourself.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My wife currently does about 7k miles in her vehicle. Though we pretty much never drive it with the kids and take the Expedition. The Expedition gets about 14k a year currently. We’ll take the new acquisition as the fam.
So I am guessing 10-12k a year on her vehicle so 22s every 3-4 years.
Or I have not priced 22s in awhile and I was way off!
Falken Wildpeak HTs $200 a tire w/ 70k treadlife warranty
Nitto NT421Q $225 a tire w/ 75k treadlife warranty

The Denali is Silver
https://www.neilhuffmangmfrank...-KY/3551290843#close

No black cars for us as we traverse a gravel lane multiple times a week.

————————————————

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Glad you checked on the lightly used Suburbans as "my car guy" mused. Sorry Frank. Guess I am better connectedSmile

I know folks get lured by bells and whistles (Yukon) but either Suburban sounds like a great fit. Just pick the best one. Good luck Black.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
In reality, with all the active things that kids are into nowadays it’s my opinion that with 3 kids the only plausible option for 3 kids is either a minivan or a Suburban or Expedition XL. We know how you feel about minivans (I wouldn’t drive one either). The Sequoia is pretty similar in size to my Landcruiser (sorry to mention it again lol) and with just my daughter in a car seat with all her accoutrements things get tight really quick with my wife and daughter and her parents on an overnight trip. I can’t imagine 3 kids in car seats in a 3 row of seats SUV other than a suburban sized vehicle. There just isn’t enough cargo room. And even though you aren’t planning on using this vehicle for trips and what not, I’ve discovered that it’s best to buy a vehicle for what you might use it for and not just what you expect to use it for. Go with a Suburban sized vehicle - I think you and your wife both know it’s the best choice.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5575 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I would NOT get a GM. I think GM makes the best vehicles as long as they are working. I’ll tell you a few things based off my own personal experience. We bought a GMC Yukon Denali used but with complete dealer service records. This thing was mint! We owned it for 4 years. In 4 years, the heated steering wheel died, sway bar end links wore out, fuel pump died, powered lift gate broke, 2 door handles broke, clock broke, whirring noise coming from the back end (bearing or diff issue), seat motor broke, clunk upon acceleration from stop (u-joint or trans mount), the transmission shit the bed at 118k miles when we were on vacation in Florida (that was $5,000), and to make matters worse, there is loud metallic clanging sound upon engine startup and a separate knocking in the engine while foot is on the gas and at all speeds, the engine burned oil since the day we got it, oil pan gasket got replaced, air leveling suspension broke, all the plastic knobs on the stero and rear climate controls broke off and that’s all I can remember right now. We just traded it in at 126k miles before a catestroohic engine failure for a Honda Odyssey.

One of my best friends bought a brand new Tahoe, the black edition or whatever it was called I think it was a 2018. Since he’s had it, the transmission has been slipping and he’s had to replace the motor mounts. It had some other minor issues that I can’t remember.

Remember when GM went on strike recently? They pay their unionized employees more than any other car manufacturer and the product is complete crap, at least in my opinion.

I’ll never own another GM.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JohnV,

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Lt. I am just teasing you can mention the 200 anytime. Getting the full length vehicle it will likely become our main people mover over the Expedition. Especially since the GMs get far better gas mileage on the highway.

Then good old JohnV comes on in like a wrecking ball! Got me thinking maybe we should just get a bike. I know there are folks out the that get some bad ones across the brands. And I have had really good luck with all my vehicles so maybe we are due for a turd.
I do say all the gizmos to break on the Denali do worry me. I am going to check out the 16 Suburban tomorrow as it is the closest.
Wednesday drop off the wife’s ride to get the interior detail then take it to CarMax and another place that buys cars and will beat anyone’s written offer or give me $500.
I already got the KBB instant cash price. Which was $1200 lower than the highest I expected to get for trading it in. So we are in pretty good shape.

I do have to say that the Denali is a beauty but kinda thinking since we do plan on keeping it for quite sometime the less doodads and gizmos are probably a better route.

Leather, heated seats, and a smart key are her main requests and the Suburbans have those.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Why hasn't she looked at a new style Expedition? I have a 2018 that I bought new, so far it is a huge improvement in ride and handling over the previous model (I've had a 2008, 2005, 2003, 2000 all acquired new and rented a 2016), the 10 speed automatic is great, and I really have no complaints about the vehicle at all. Plenty of power, plenty of gadgets and the max is the same size as the suburban. I have a limited and it has A/C+heated seats, leather, smart key, power running boards, power lift gate and a myriad of other stuff.

After leasing 4 brand new ones in a row, a vehicle is now just a vehicle to me. I buy the Expedition the way I want it, so I don't have to waste money modifying it into something else, and keep it a long time. I'm in the camp of buy new with all of the options you want and keep it a long time. All wear items are new and everything is under warranty for the first 3-4 years, so you have no real out of pocket maintenance expenses or oh no moments the first 3 years or so, you know it's history, rather than swapping used vehicles for used vehicles every 2 years. My 2008 Expedition I kept almost 11 years and had one maintenance expense over $200 which was $2800 at 102k miles (cam phasors) and at the very end of my ownership and 2 under $200 and that's it besides routine maintenance. I have several friends with the large GM SUV's (escalade,denalli, suburban) and they all show a lot of wear and tear on the interior at 50k miles or so with trim pieces falling off, things inside not working, and drive clunky/loose.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
She is not a fan of the new body style and she doesn’t want to go to the 16/17s and have the same vehicle as me.

————————————————

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

But paying for 22” tires every 35k miles or so is not all that exciting and all the crazy little electronic things that could go bad eventually.

I have a 2015 Suburban LTZ with 22" tires. I just put new Michelin LTX tires on it. 60K mile rating I think. They were $1,100 out the door with an alignment and rotation package from Tire Kingdom. It wasn't really any more money that the 20" tires I used to buy for my old Suburban.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

I have a 2015 Suburban LTZ with 22" tires. I just put new Michelin LTX tires on it. 60K mile rating I think. They were $1,100 out the door with an alignment and rotation package from Tire Kingdom. It wasn't really any more money that the 20" tires I used to buy for my old Suburban.

I poked around at pricing lastnight and found they have come down in price substantially.
How are you enjoying your Suburban?

————————————————

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I didnt even know Toyota still made the Land Cruiser. When I was a kid they were sort of a heavy optioned Jeep. I used to play in them at the Dealership because of all the cool options and compartments. Seems like this new Land Cruiser breaks the 85K mark..ouch. Saw a 2016 on line which was over 50K. A friend had a 2010 Tundra which I posted about here last year. He had after market exhausts put on it as he liked to hear it growl. That guy roughed that truck up hard. Extended cab, 8 foot box, 4 wheel drive. It never got shut down. Pulling trailered cars and even a Chevy tow truck. In the end he had to give it back to his lady friend whos name was on its title. He claimed he damaged its engine, did nothing of the sort. Her new boy friend drives that long bed all over northern Kentucky and it runs just fine. All the time he pounded that little 5.7 he never had a single issue with it. Nothing in or on the truck ever came loose or broke off. Something to be said for the Toyota line.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

I poked around at pricing lastnight and found they have come down in price substantially.
How are you enjoying your Suburban?

I bought a used 2007 in 2011. Drove it up to around 280K miles.

Bought a used 2015 in 2018. Have 130K on it now.

If it got stolen or totaled or something along those lines tomorrow, I would go buy another without even looking at another vehicle.

I need the room for my work. I need the room for my kids and their friends. Even at its size, it's easy to drive (my wife says this). For my purposes and my family, it's the perfect vehicle.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I’ll mention this. Having driven my Dad’s Silverado across country (same engine as the Suburban), I would never buy one of the full size GM SUVs without the 6.2. I looked at a bunch of full size SUVs before settling on my 2017 Limited Expedition EL. That little 3.5L Ecoboost kicks the Suburban’s 5.3L’s ass. The Denali’s 6.2L is a much closer match. Until GM realizes the benefits of forced induction, you’re going to want the bigger motor.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plan to keep this awhile

Didn't you say that 4 cars ago?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I’ll mention this. Having driven my Dad’s Silverado across country (same engine as the Suburban), I would never buy one of the full size GM SUVs without the 6.2. I looked at a bunch of full size SUVs before settling on my 2017 Limited Expedition EL. That little 3.5L Ecoboost kicks the Suburban’s 5.3L’s ass. The Denali’s 6.2L is a much closer match. Until GM realizes the benefits of forced induction, you’re going to want the bigger motor.

I have a 2016 Expedition and I like the 3.5L Ecoboost very much and it is a beast but I also don't find the 5.3L to be a slouch either.

I have the way old 285hp 5.3 in my 2000 Silverado and it still has plenty of power for my usage.
The newer 5.3s even more so. If I were frequently traveling mountains out in Colorado or the like I would certainly agree that the 6.2 would be a must.
But here being that this will be nothing more than a people mover I don't feel that the 5.3 is under powered at all it is pretty flat here. Hit some mountains through West Virginia occasionally but nothing that makes the 5.3 a dog. Any trips out west will certainly be had in the Expedition.

Though I can't say the thought of the 6.2 does make one smile. But is it needed not really.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Plan to keep this awhile

Didn't you say that 4 cars ago?

Nope must have me confused with someone else.

The Highlander we are replacing we have had for 7 years.

I have had my Mustang for 21 years, my GTO for 20 years, Silverado (been in the family) for 20, I had my Explorer for 10 years, replaced that with the Sienna that we had for a year (but that thing sucked something huge), replaced that with the Expedition for 3 years now.
Granted if we have a full length SUV instead of the Expedition that will become our main family mover, I can't say getting rid of the Expedition for a 100 Series Land Cruiser being much better outfitted for offroading is not out of the question

————————————————

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We have a 2017 Suburban LT with a bench second row, bought it new December 2017 and it is about 38000 on the odometer, no issues other than 2 minor recalls. We've rented an Expedition and an Expedition Max on vacations. Expeditions are faster and more responsive. Our Suburban doesn't have 4x4 Low, so it doesn't have the more aggressive gear ratio which would wake the 5.3 up in town. You have to get on it pretty good to get it to move. I really hate the rotary shifter in the Expedition and hate the dash mounted push button or whatever shifter the 2021 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban appears to have. A column shifter feels "right" in a vehicle this size.

We have a 2015 Accord V6 sedan as our other daily driver. I've thought about replacing it with a Tahoe Custom or a Expedition but the need isn't really there. The wife and I just trade cars as needed. Both cars have automatic seat memory for the key fobs, which is nice. I would miss that in a Tahoe Custom.

Be careful if you end up getting a 2015-2017 Suburban with 22" wheels, some have alot of thumping and drumming noise at highway speeds. I'm not sure if they fixed it in later years, a Premier with 22" wheels I test drove for garage fitment had it, once you hit 70mph you heard this "woow woow woow woow" in your ears because you are sitting in a big drum. Supposedly lots of tire balancing and some muffler weights fix that, some say it was because the roof wasn't glued correctly. We have 18" wheels and don't have it.

I see A LOT of Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XLs at the school and daycare drop off lines and parking lots. Women are driving them 3/4 of the time. My wife had it for school duty all last year, but our kids shifted school so I have school bus duty for our 3 kids in the morning and evening. We moved up from a 2014 Outback when #3 came along. I think a vehicle of Suburban size will permanently be in our garage or driveway for the next decade or more.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I went and drove the 2016 Suburban today and it was pretty much knocked out of the running immediately.
It showed water staining all the way down the passenger side of the headliner.
Not fooling with that.

I have the Carfax and it was a 1 owner lease with all the maintenance and recalls done at the dealer where it was leased from.
While I know Carfax is not 100% but records were solid for a 4 year/40k vehicle with zero mention of the water issue.
There was marring on the roof near the back of the roof rack. So I am guessing it had been off at some point for some reason.
But either way there are plenty out there I am not fooling with water issues.

Tomorrow I pull all the car seats and seat covers and am paying someone to clean out the interior.
Thursday we go check out the Denali.
I am guessing it will be the choice unless we run into an issue like the water damage today.

The 2018 is 2.5 hours away so if the Denali is a no go will have to figure out a time to make it down there.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
I went and drove the 2016 Suburban today and it was pretty much knocked out of the running immediately.
It showed water staining all the way down the passenger side of the headliner.
Not fooling with that.

I have the Carfax and it was a 1 owner lease with all the maintenance and recalls done at the dealer where it was leased from.
While I know Carfax is not 100% but records were solid for a 4 year/40k vehicle with zero mention of the water issue.
There was marring on the roof near the back of the roof rack. So I am guessing it had been off at some point for some reason.
But either way there are plenty out there I am not fooling with water issues.

Tomorrow I pull all the car seats and seat covers and am paying someone to clean out the interior.
Thursday we go check out the Denali.
I am guessing it will be the choice unless we run into an issue like the water damage today.

The 2018 is 2.5 hours away so if the Denali is a no go will have to figure out a time to make it down there.

These dealerships are in FL, but you might want to check out their inventory. Their prices are cheap, and they're very reputable

https://www.offleaseonly.com/u...evrolet-suburban.htm

https://www.offleaseonly.com/used-gmc-yukon.htm

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post