SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, after my griddle question, I wonder..(new question added!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, after my griddle question, I wonder..(new question added!) Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
What you griddle users do as far as cleaning after use?

I have seasoned the piss out of the top, but I'm wondering about the cleaning regime. What do you guys do?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Heat it up,squirt water on it to steam off left over food and scrape it off. Wipe it down and then oil while still warm. Takes about 3 minutes.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Use a pumice brick with a little oil, rub gently to avoid removing the seasoning and wipe clean with a rag.

https://www.amazon.com/Avant-G...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Those Benny Hana guys put water on the grill, toss on a damp towel with a steel wool pad under it and scrub.

Heres some tips..

https://www.partstown.com/abou...p-griddle-or-plancha

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^Those techniques and a 4" razer scraper work great with a stainless steel griddle, but not so much with carbon steel or cast iron griddles where you want to retain the seasoning.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
First I scrape most of the grease into the catch tray and then I let my griddle cool down to around 200 degrees, squirt some water on it, and then scrub it with a scrub pad and wipe clean with a clean cloth towel.

As said earlier, that all takes around three minutes...tops.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Heat it up,squirt water on it to steam off left over food and scrape it off. Wipe it down and then oil while still warm. Takes about 3 minutes.

This.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

This.

Same here. Quick and easy.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Scrape off the garbage and I lean mine over the sink. Then use one of the chain mail scrubbers and some water. Re-oil as necessary.

Those chain mail scrubbers are awesome.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. How often do you re-season? What do you use and what's your process?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Thanks guys. How often do you re-season? What do you use and what's your process?

If you follow my procedure for cleaning above you are re-seasoning every time after cooking.
Also no need to use and abrasive like a chain mail or steel wool if you have a good season on it. Something that aggressive will remove some of you're seasoning. I use those things when I'm cleaning up a old piece of iron or after one of my boys took my old 14" Griswold pan fishing to fry fish in it and brought it back a month later
without ever cleaning it. I had to use a chain mail in spots. That's why I like steaming very non aggressive.

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you follow my procedure for cleaning above you are re-seasoning every time after cooking.

I've watched videos that specifically say something along the lines of: re-season the top after every 10-15 uses - over and above the oil application after cleaning. Is this a 'belt and braces' approach or really unnecessary?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've watched videos that specifically say something along the lines of: re-season the top after every 10-15 uses - over and above the oil application after cleaning. Is this a 'belt and braces' approach or really unnecessary?

Guess I've never heard of that. The key to seasoning especially cast iron or pre-seasoned steel is to build many thin layers of seasoning. When you are done cleaning use as little oil as possible to cover the griddle. I will often times go back after a hour or more with a paper towel and wipe the griddle again to remove any excess. Only time you should need to re-season is if you somehow lose you're original seasoning. Of course the more you use it and the more thin layers of seasoning are applied the less chance you have of losing the seasoning.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I follow the exact process as ‘lastmanstanding’ and will sometimes use the same brush I use on my cast iron cookware. I wipe it down with light coat of oil while still warm and it is ready to go every time I take the lid off to cook. This is a don’t over think it kind of a thing. I find it easier to prep following a cook, than prepping again before you cook.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Scrape off the garbage and I lean mine over the sink. Then use one of the chain mail scrubbers and some water. Re-oil as necessary.

Those chain mail scrubbers are awesome.

I recently got one with a silicone insert inside which gives a bit more to grab onto. I really like it over the original little 5"x5" chainmail pad I have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13953 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mod29:
Use a pumice brick with a little oil, rub gently to avoid removing the seasoning and wipe clean with a rag.

--------------

That's exactly what I do as well, works very nicely.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post