SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for ear wax removal?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for ear wax removal? Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Had an Aunt that used Bobby Pins!, Eek

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
the main ingredient in debrox ($6+) is hydrogen peroxide ($0.69). 3 drops every other day. you hear it bubble because it's dissolving the wax. schedule an ear irrigation at the doc. qtips and anything else stuck into your ear causes the build up of wax (impacted) and makes it worse.

I had mine cleaned out at the doctors office once....
Since then, I've learned to do it myself. debrox is pretty good stuff, but yes, it is mostly hydrogen peroxide. Still, I don't use it that often so even if it's $6, a bottle lasts a year or so for me. I use a cotton swap (Qtip) when I get out of the shower. That cuts way down on the number of times/year you have to use the debrox.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
just back from ear irrigation - large syringe using water and hyd. peroxide and they flushed it out 4X. i softened the impacted wax during the previous week with hy. perox. and the chunks that came out. it was like taking out in ear plugs when my hearing got back to normal. all better now.

pa did say beforehand that irrigation may not work and that softening with debrox was recommended.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Forget watching it on Youtube, if you really want to feel sick have someone do it to you. I had a doctor pick and forcefully flush my ears and it was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever felt. Sort of lie having your ears boxed and getting kicked in the groin all at once. They had me lay down because they thought I was going to pass out.
The doctor said I have very small ear canals. Yet he still managed to get these jellybean sized balls off wax out that looked sort of like chopmeat.

If all is working well, you shouldn't need to clean your inner ear. Unless you compact the wax with q-tips or are someone like me who several times a week, often several times a day, sticks something in their ears. (ear plugs)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Sort of lie having your ears boxed and getting licked in the groin all at once.

Hmmm...I've always found that a rather pleasant experience, but...maybe that's just me. Confused

Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if it feels like being licked in the groin, I’m all in. Lol

Wife just did me. Debrox that is. A nasty little jelly bean sized chunk out of one ear, not much out of the other.

50 years, that was a first.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So we get cerumen impactions in the ER all the time. Most are caused by people who jam q-tips in their ears which jams the wax further in and compacts it. You can actually use liquid Colace to soften it up. Commercially available ear wax removal kits with hydrogen peroxide and bulb syringes will do the trick.

Be forewarned sometimes the problem isn’t wax at all ....

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Man, I could have gone all day without seeing that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
The old standard q-tips are not cutting it. I would like to try something better. I have seen some birthday candle you light in your ear. There was some cork screw gadget.

But what actually works?

Q Tips actually impact and pushes wax in deeper.
The best solution is a physician treatment of Ear Douche. It's painless, safe and effective.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you'd seen the doctor, huge have chosen kicked over licked.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Paper clip!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post