SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are commercials getting worse or is it me?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are commercials getting worse or is it me? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
In a Word; Worse.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you would think EVERY couple is mixed race by watching the commercials .

Posts: 1556 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't recall any commercial with a husband and wife discussing something in which the wife (or GF) doesn't win the argument and the guy looks dumb.
Just watch, you'll see what I mean.

This is my observation as well there is a very prevalent slant in many commercials today, which promote a constant attack on masculinity.

NRA
Gun Owners of America
Arizona Citizens Defense League

Remember the 343

Posts: 239 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the Progressive ad where Jamie is "fetched" by a Harley-Davidson motorcycle to go to Flo's aid and runs along behind it all the way to her is totally asinine. Why doesn't he get on and ride it? Sheesh! (I wouldn't buy Progressive, anyway--they are very anti-gun.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 20756 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Anything from Progressive but frankly especially with Flo in it makes me violently ill. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
COTEP #192

Posts: 8923 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
Plus MANY commercials have adopted Progressivism in that they attempt to denigrate and emasculate the American male by making him appear weak, moronic, and inferior.

I can't recall any commercial with a husband and wife discussing something in which the wife (or GF) doesn't win the argument and the guy looks dumb.
Just watch, you'll see what I mean.

A number of commercials involving interaction between kids and adults, the kids are the smartest people in the room and adults are dolts.

I'm sick of all the BS.

____________________________________________________________________________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 1671 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Commercials are indicative of the population. We have gotten dumber and less literate so of course advertising has done the same.

Posts: 15479 | Location: Winston Salem NC or VA Beach | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I could do without the goddamned drug commercials. A particularly bad one lately is the "look, psoriatic arthritis can be fun!" for "Cosentyx." Then they list all the side effects that are as bad or worse than the ailment. Vaccine makers are also getting in on the act. "Your teenager could die - DIE, I tell you - if he/she doesn't get the meningococcal meningitis vax right now!"

Posts: 21093 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The current one that disgusts me is a radio spot where the woman says her "number 2 doesn't look like number 2. Maybe it should be called a number 3." Roll Eyes Eek

Oh for cripe sake have they no shame? Gesh!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
COTEP #192

Posts: 8923 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Kind of sounds like I made the right call when I got rid of my television a couple years ago.

Posts: 23289 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
And you would think EVERY couple is mixed race by watching the commercials .

Last month, I saw a commercial with a white father, black mother, and asian kid. Because this family type is the most popular in the U.S. Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 11294 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My belief is that commercials are deliberately annoying. The more often they are run the more annoying they become.
That’s to make us remember them. Notice how well people remember specific commercials here?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
― Samuel Adams

Posts: 5305 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
YA, the commercials suck!
Even worse is the program they are sponsoring SUCKS even worse!
I can hardly sit down and watch TV, even FOX news has me ready to vomit.
Netflix movies for the most part suck!
I find myself watching U TUBE channels now.

The commercials now are all the same,
Father or male,if promoted as a "normal male", is stupid, wrong,or an incapable fool.
OR,they are not really men, some sort of creature that morphed between a man and a women.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FrankMoses
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Many, many americans are stupid, the commercials cater to their stupidity.

This again. Plus MANY commercials have adopted Progressivism in that they attempt to denigrate and emasculate the American male by making him appear weak, moronic, and inferior. I would extend that to today's TV shows as well, starting YEARS ago with "Everybody Loves Raymond".

Some would say it started in 1961 with The Dick Van Dyke Show.

--------------------------------------------------
"Please do not send me back to the culture I nostalgically praise; please let me stay in the culture that I ignore or deprecate."

Posts: 919 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
in the last few years they've become worse

Progressive is by far the worst...but other commercials are just crap...but hey, its only television - its not real life

the commercials for Sonic are enough to make me never want to go there - same with those rats they used to have on the Quiznos commercials

they appeal to the lowest to 10% of the bottom 10% of the population - I can't think of anything I've ever purchased in the last 20 years based on a commercial I saw on tv

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison

Posts: 47224 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I can hit the mute button on my Harmony Remote in microseconds.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
Liberalism is a failure to find pathways to intelligence in your brain. - David Lawrence

Posts: 1497 | Location: Kalispell Montana & Florida’s Emerald Coast for the Winter | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pharmaceutical commercials
Toyota commercials
Almost any commercial on Fox
Publisher clearing house commercials
Any mattress store commercial
My Pillow
Too many more to list

Posts: 495 | Location: Federal Way, WA (It's a city not prison) | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Progressive Insurance has the worst. Farmers Insurance has the best

Posts: 10996 | Location: Carolina but Texas in my heart | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tarheelbball
posted Hide Post
This Truth anti-smoking commercial got me the other day.

https://youtu.be/RkXfZd5HVeI

Posts: 462 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh... Those Chevrolet "real people" ads? Geezus.
I have a 2018 Silverado and no one from Chevy has wanted to reinforce how wonderful it is with me.
Aint I real?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 7250 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post