SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are commercials getting worse or is it me?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are commercials getting worse or is it me? Login/Join 
posted
I don't want much TV. I do watch football and I can't understand the amount of repetitive, unfunny and annoying commercials.

Bud light used to have commercials that made me laugh out loud. Classics like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDh_YqYVnz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9YawP4a1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJL_KPwg9w

Now it's a "Dilly dilly" medieval theme that ran its course a long time ago yet they keep building on it. If you've seen it once you've seen it enough.

Speaking of beer commercials, what happened to Coors Light? They had some real gems back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EXWMd0XQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPiLiVK_mI

But the reason for this thread is the Verizon commercial that plays at every commercial break. You know the one I'm talking about with the pussy beta male who interrupts a family picnic because they can't decide what music to listen to and he recommends bubble trance. He's got the most punchable face and I've seen it at least a dozen times today watching ONE game. Does Verizon not have a marketing budget and can't make several different commercials to fill all the time slots they bought? Don't they have studies that show that unfunny, repetitive commercials turn consumers against your brand?

That said, I couldn't name one recent commercial that made me laugh or was even remotely interesting. Every single one of them have been boring, overplayed and in the case of the Verizon commercial, irritating.

Posts: 27 | Registered: August 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, most are really stupid. I especially dislike the millions of car insurance commercials. Except 'Jake from State Farm'. That was the Citizen Kane of commercials.

Posts: 725 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many, many americans are stupid, the commercials cater to their stupidity.

Posts: 10795 | Location: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I agree. Anheiser Busch got bought out by InBev and their commercials went downhill. They were no longer the irreverent but more, "European and sophisticated" A lot of others have gone the same route.

Nissan used to have some of the best commercials. When GI Joe snakin' Barbie from Ken showed during the Super Bowl, we couldn't stop laughing. Then there was dogs love trucks and the Top Gun seagulls. Now their commercials suck and so do their cars. Coincidence?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 10219 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mute the SONIC commercials every time . Absolutely horrible . Liberty Mutual is my insurance company but being bombarded 50 times a night with that jingle is getting old .

Posts: 1515 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
The ones I hate are commercials that no longer just hawk their product; instead, they have to push social re-engineering at the same time.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 825 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If auto insurance co’s would reduce their ad budgets to about 10% of what they now spend, auto insurance rates could be reduced to about half what they are, and misery and despair almost entirely eliminated from our national burdens.

Good grief!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 47813 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I refuse to watch the NFL until the kneeling bullshit is put to an end....so no commercial issues here.

Posts: 5842 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

^ This.

And never underestimate their stupidity. If commercials said to jump off your local bridge these idiots would do it.

Commercials annoy the fuck out of me. Haven’t watched them in 20 years. Pay for XM/Pandora, and Satellite at home. If it has commercials I either don’t watch it or preload and FF through them. They are the main reason why I mostly stick to films, MotoGP, and shows on HBO/SHO. No commercial interruptions.

He possess great skills.

Posts: 8840 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree on the Verizon Mangina. Gag. Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 7005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

This again. Plus MANY commercials have adopted Progressivism in that they attempt to denigrate and emasculate the American male by making him appear weak, moronic, and inferior. I would extend that to today's TV shows as well, starting YEARS ago with "Everybody Loves Raymond".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 4968 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I could have been mistaken, but while watching the BMW golf-delay-replay yesterday, there was a BMW commercial that quickly showed several couples passionately kissing, including two dudes.

See, I don’t really care what people want to do in their homes. Personally I don’t need or want to see displays of affection (in public or over the airwaves) by anyone.

But that is the new normal. Madison Avenue feels they *must* cater to everyone, lest anyone be offended.

RB

Cancer (NHL) Survivor 2010 and 2014, now fighting Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma.

“Did you hear about the statistician who recently drowned in an average of 5 feet of water?”

Posts: 6714 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Commercials coincide with the dumbing of American viewers...

Get over yourself. You're not that special unless you walked on the moon or received the Medal of Honor.

I've been in prison four times and didn't care for it.

Posts: 8162 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I just wish they'd turn the volume down the damn things blow the room out when they come on.

We clocked the time on commercials on Wick the other day, 7 minutes, 7 freaking minutes of commercials. We DVR everything now, probably have to get a new remote from wearing out the FF button...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 12347 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the drug commercials? If you have a hangnail, you should take this! But watch out for suicide tendencies and you might piss your liver out.

P226 9mm CT
p226 40 S&W/ 22 kit
p2022 9mm
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15
Now P226 x5 L-1!

Posts: 686 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
The ones I hate are commercials that no longer just hawk their product; instead, they have to push social re-engineering at the same time.

You noticed that too?

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 640 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just think about how smart an "average" American is.
Then, realize that, on average, football viewers are probably not on the "high" side.

And then 50% of them are stupider than that average.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6420 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My viewing has significantly diminished in recent years. That said I've developed a knack for being able to time how long commercial breaks take and switch channels during them. It can be crazy with some programs / channels only going about a minute and a half. Others (OMG!) will run between 9 and 11 short spots before returning to the programming.

And to the OP's point, yes they uniformly suck. No longer is there some redeeming value with humor, cuteness, or hotness....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
COTEP #192

Posts: 8762 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
I just wish I could see MORE Geico and My Pillow ads. 20 a day is not nearly enough.

Kidding aside, when I'm somewhere that I don't have control over the DVR, commercials make me throw up in my mouth a little.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 2811 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus MANY commercials have adopted Progressivism in that they attempt to denigrate and emasculate the American male by making him appear weak, moronic, and inferior.

I can't recall any commercial with a husband and wife discussing something in which the wife (or GF) doesn't win the argument and the guy looks dumb.
Just watch, you'll see what I mean.

Regarding My Pillow ads: does Mike Lindell appear on channels other than Fox News? Wearing a cross?

“Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things.”--Adam Smith, born June 16, 1723

Posts: 14031 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post