SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it too hard to say thank you when someone is trying to save you money?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it too hard to say thank you when someone is trying to save you money? Login/Join 
posted
I recently ordered a few gun items from a pretty big custom parts dealer/gunsmith and they initially screwed up the order. I contacted them and they sent me a return shipping label so I could return the wrong item. I eventually got the correct part I ordered a few days later but no apology,( not that I really expected it).

Today I received another part I did not order,( a $100.00 part and my credit card was not charged again), and called the company back to advise them of their mistake. I told them what I received and said I already received the item I originally ordered. She told me they would be sending another return shipping label to me via email. Fortunately the part is small enough I can stick back in the mail. At the end of the conversation, there was no thank you or we are sorry for the inconvenience,(as I just figured it is good business to do so,especially on a expensive little part). I had plans or ordering a few more parts from them eventually but this is changing my mind. At the end of the conversation she asked if there was anything else and I said "you are welcome". The quality of parts is very good but it seems customer service is not what it used to be.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The person probably was just trying to get through their calls. No excuse for not being actually "present" in the conversation. If the person actually was engaged at a higher level than just being in the weeds, they would have recognized what you did ought to have illicited a "Thank you."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the thing. They don't take orders over the phone,it is website order only. My call got right through as they have prior, with the same person answering all 3 times.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Simple courtesy and civility have gone the way of the dinosaur. No longer can a person expect to be treated like a person instead of a $ sign or number.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
She fixated on solving your problem instead of currying to your favor. I'd take action (solve the problem) over sugar coated platitudes.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Sadly you were just making more work for the person with whom you were dealing. No thanks for that. Frown

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In too many social situations where "Thank you" would have been appropriate (but never came) I just say "You're welcome" and go on my merry way.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently 'f2' didn't comprehend what I wrote.

1) I placed an order for $150.00 worth of goods with $10.00 covering shipping
2) I didn't receive the correct parts I ordered (they sent me a order sheet with what I did order but obviously was wrong),but I told them I received a different part $35.00. I could have lied and kept those parts and said I only received one item but I hold myself to a higher standard.
3) They sent me a shipping label for me to return the 1 item (loss to them of another $10.00)
4) They sent me the correct item I ordered but it cost them another $10.00 to ship
5) A week later, I receive a second $100.00 part for free that I did not order (they did not know apparently they had sent a second item). Again I could have kept it and they would have been out another $100.00 plus $10.00 for shipping
6) I call them back to let them know what happened and they sent me another shipping label (cost of another $10.00)

So if you add it all up,they could have been out roughly $150.00 but instead they are at a loss of only $30.00 and this is only one transaction with one customer. As an owner this would concern me. As an owner, I would have to wonder how many other times did this happen. I have employees that are inept or they don't care about my business and don't care if it is run into the ground.

What does that mean to the rest of us? Cost of business gets passed onto other customers by now charging higher prices to make up for the loss. How many times have we seen this?

Not only that but you inconvenience the customer. Fortunately, like I said, it is small enough to put into the mailbox but what if it wasn't? Do you consider this the customer's problem or your problem? Now that customer tells others their experience and you have the ability to lose potential business. It is not having them say thank you or sorry to me personally but having honest customers who will want to do more business with an honest business that provides what the customer wants/orders and trusting they will get them. As a prior business owner of a small shop, problems like this could hurt my bottom line. I just don't understand some business models.

posted Hide Post
I ordered lower parts kits and received double my order.

I called the company and they did the same thing. No thank you, no kiss my butt, nothing.

Sometimes doing the right thing comes without thanks.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Have you ever taken calls from the general public for a day?

Not in your case, but in general the stupid is strong on the other end of the call.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Now matter how busy they are, there is no excuse for not exercising common courtesy. Especially, when representing their employer.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post