SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice needed, Car rental Paris Fr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed, Car rental Paris Fr Login/Join 
posted
I'm going to need a car in France/Germany May 28th thru June 1st. Who is good to rent from there ? Thanks

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rent from Hertz at CDG. Just be sure you look at the car, and take a cell phone picture of all four sides. My company required us to accept all of the insurances.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Hertz is usually good.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was curious if you'd need an International Driving Permit. From Rick Steves:

quote:
Passports, Driver's Licenses, and International Driving Permits
Whether you're American or Canadian, your passport and driver's license are all you need in most European countries. However, some countries also require an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP is an official translation of your US license (making it easier for the cop to write out a ticket). You can get an IDP at your local American Automobile Association or Canadian Automobile Association office ($20 plus the cost of two passport-type photos — OK to bring your own; doesn't require AAA membership). AAA is authorized by the US State Department to issue permits; avoid scam artists peddling overpriced, fake international licenses.
You may hear contradictory information on exactly where you need an IDP. People who sell them say you should have them almost everywhere. People who rent cars say you need them almost nowhere. People who drive rental cars say the IDP is overrated, but can come in handy as a complement to your passport and driver's license. It's a good idea to get one if you'll be driving in Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, or Spain — countries where you're technically required to carry a permit. If all goes well, you'll likely never be asked to show it — but the permit is a must if you end up dealing with the police. That said, I've never been asked to show one.

And yes, Hertz is good. It's surprisingly easy.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My experience has been to get one when driving on the continent but have not felt the need in my 13 driving trips in the UK and Irish Republic.

I've had good luck with AutoEurope out of Portland, ME.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've rented several cars on my trips to Europe and have always used Sixt. Never had a problem.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto Dresden: " take a cell phone picture of all four sides. My company required us to accept all of the insurances."
Do it even if your insurance says you don't have to. Too easy to get trapped into paying a LOT of money when they tell your insurance doesn't cover something.

Posts: 152 | Location: Waukesha Co, WI. & St. Paul MN | Registered: March 25, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an IDL but have never been asked to show it anywhere in Europe. I recently rented a car in Amsterdam and spent 5 days in France. We booked it thru Thrifty but they are served by Hertz at least in the NL. They didn't have the car we booked so they upgraded us for no extra charge. Great service and experience.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Just two weeks ago rented an SUV in Aix en Provence from Sixt. It was easy other than their web reservation system screwing up the pick up. I even walked into one of their Paris locations to resolve the rez... and is was still screwed up when we got to Aix. They had run out of cars at the station so we took a taxi into town... and arrived during their 2 hour lunch break.

Other than that... it was Ok.

And do get the IDL from AAA, never had to use it... but European cops are known to retain your driver's license.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
I have also had a good experience with Autoeurope.

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harkrader:
Ditto Dresden: " take a cell phone picture of all four sides. My company required us to accept all of the insurances."
Do it even if your insurance says you don't have to. Too easy to get trapped into paying a LOT of money when they tell your insurance doesn't cover something.

I’d add - take those pics at beginning AND end of rental.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I haven’t rented in Europe for several years, but when I did, it was much cheaper to make the reservation here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I haven’t rented in Europe for several years, but when I did, it was much cheaper to make the reservation here.

That would still seem to be the case today. Renting a car in France has always been relatively cheap for my wife and me. We typically book quite a bit in advance via carrentals.com or the like.

If you have USAA you might also want to check through them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post