SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember this National Lampoon cover?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember this National Lampoon cover? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
I do. I was a senior in high school.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
My friend and I were convinced we were going to be O.C. and Stiggs....

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
Yes. Funny.
I have always liked THIS one -

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure we hashed this over before but that dog cover will go down in history as one of the best ever. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I remember the dog and yearbook, and may still have them. Today the dog cover would probably get the editor lynched by people who hate guns and/or like dogs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
"Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair".

OC and Stiggs was some of the most guffaw-worthy material ever. They made a movie, which can be found on YT. Its okay. Nat Lamp was a favorite when I was in high school.

The original 'Vacation' story is also hilarious.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
In the 70's & 80's I had a subscription to National Lampoon. They did the "That's not funny, that's sick" cartoon of an amputee frog in a cart rolling out of a restaurant kitchen. Around 1980 they offered a polo shirt with that frog embroidered on it, first because it was funny and second because they were making fun of the ridiculously popular Lacoste shirts that were a must-have for the preppies.

I ordered one and still have it buried in drawer somewhere. When I was in college I was one of maybe 10 guys (out of several thousand) on campus with long hair. In the height of the "preppy" fad it greatly amused me to wear what was essentially a poke-in-the-eye amongst the lemmings that sported Lacoste shirts. Once they realized what the logo actually was the looks on the faces of some folks were hilarious.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Miss Booker, my high school english teacher, didn't mind me reading National Lampoon in her class as long as I could keep from laughing aloud. She probably thought it was funny, too. We all loved her.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some of you here will remember when I did this little bit of photoshopping.

Cool

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Do you remember Deidre Callahan and Blind Bob- "Hey you fingers stink"?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Always one of my favorites...

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I do. I was a senior in high school.

The first thing I noticed about this cover is that the revolver used is a 3 1/2 inch S&W Model 27. The second most desired model/barrel length of any S&W revolver. BTW, the very most desired is the model 27's predecessor the Registered Magnum with the same barrel length.

And I will note that could be a 3 1/2 inch Registered Magnum but have to assume that it's a model 27 because they were much more common and most collectors would not trust a treasured RM to some knuckhead taking a picture for a magazine cover. If it is an RM I would bet the hand holding that revolver was the owner.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I had that issue also. I was a freshman in college in '73.
Remember the comic strip Cheech Wizard in National Lampoon?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I noticed the 3 1/2 inch Model 27, too. Even back then I was into Smiths, had not even heard of Sigs, except for that Browning(?) .45 that was a 220.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Great, historic cover! Smile

Speaking of National Lampoon, I loved the NatLamp album "Radio Dinner". It wouldn't be producible today.

Among the songs/sketches was the song 'Pull the Tregros, Negros' which was a parody with a Joan-Baezy folksinger, who in the actual song used the word 'triggers' instead of 'Tregros' and kept with the rhyme. The song poked fun at the '60s enlightened middle class individuals in San Francisco who 'felt' for the downtrodden 'across the bay' but never actually went there or did anything to help them. Wink

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I remember the dog cover. Laughed then and laughed again just now. In January of '73 I would have been a sophomore in college. That seems about right for National Lampoon; both the magazine and then the Radio Hour. Between those, the Firesign Theatre, and a few non-prescription drugs, I remember quite a few laugh fests.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I remember the dog and yearbook, and may still have them. Today the dog cover would probably get the editor lynched by people who hate guns and/or like dogs.
Maybe. Certainly by people who hate guns and/or like dogs _and_ have absolutely no sense of humor.

I really like dogs and I about busted a gut on that one. It is just funny, especially the expression on the dog's face. Of course I don't hate guns and I do have a sense of humor...

Smile

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the price of the magazine?

75 cents.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
...I loved the NatLamp album "Radio Dinner". It wouldn't be producible today.

Among the songs/sketches was the song 'Pull the Tregros, Negros' which was a parody with a Joan-Baezy folksinger, who in the actual song used the word 'triggers' instead of 'Tregros' and kept with the rhyme...

"Tha's mah box, Captain!"

"Oh! Allow me to apologize profusely!"

"Tha's alright Captain! Just take yo hand off mah box!"

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post