SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PTSD, Support Animals, and Open Carry
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTSD, Support Animals, and Open Carry Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Service dogs I've worked with have real tags, attached to the vest. They aren't dog tags either. They're big in plastic, kind of like someone's work badge, and there will be 2-3 of them stacked in a layer. Dogs are registered with the city or state. What these people are doing is buying crap off the internet for their charade. I went to a film a few days ago and a lady had her shepherd in there with the fake vest, no tags. What a shit show.

Service dogs have to be trained to perform a specific task, but no registration is required with or in any city or state in the United States.

Any registration, certification, or paperwork carried by a service dog is legally essentially meaningless and is just something provided by a trainer or some random company to make it easier for the owner of the service dog to deal with people who don't know anything about service dogs or the laws dealing with them.
This post bears repeating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Who's Ronald Reagon? Razz

quote:
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagon, 1964

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Service dogs I've worked with have real tags, attached to the vest. They aren't dog tags either. They're big in plastic, kind of like someone's work badge, and there will be 2-3 of them stacked in a layer. Dogs are registered with the city or state. What these people are doing is buying crap off the internet for their charade. I went to a film a few days ago and a lady had her shepherd in there with the fake vest, no tags. What a shit show.

Service dogs have to be trained to perform a specific task, but no registration is required with or in any city or state in the United States.

Any registration, certification, or paperwork carried by a service dog is legally essentially meaningless and is just something provided by a trainer or some random company to make it easier for the owner of the service dog to deal with people who don't know anything about service dogs or the laws about them.

The ones we've worked with had official tags of some sort.
But they were not support animals, they were service dogs trained for specific tasks.
Laminated ID's, 2-3 attached to the vests.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
What needs to be tightened up on is the fakers, and where legitimate support animals can go. The whole "service animal" and "support animal" are two different things. And the water is so muddy that no one wants to tackle it by telling someone with an out of control animal to GTFO for fear of lawsuit.

Service and Support animals should never be allowed to be a nuisance to other people. I don't care how we explain it away. They should never be allowed to be a nuisance. And if there is someone who is allergic to the animal? You've got to go. Just because your doc has given you a piece of paper for your emotional support pit bull, you should never be allowed to inconvenience other people. And there is no way you can tell me that they should.

This entire thing is out of hand.

This.

There needs to be SOME sort of standard.

If a "support animal" helps then I'm for it, provided a few things.

I remember back in the cell phone sales days, where I managed a store. We had a young woman come in with her "support dog" she carried in her arms. As I was showing her phones, the little ankle biter, who was in her arms, suddenly became a "hand biter" and literally bit me as I went to hand her a phone (that she asked me to hand her because she was so fixated on the dog.) I dodged the bit enough that it didn't break skin, but the thing was aggressive and not trained in any way at all.

It was VERY APPARENT that this dog was NOT trained in any way, and she was using this as an excuse to bring the little mongrel inside the store. I booted her out of the store, and the dog too.

She of course claimed she was going to sue me, and the company, and anyone who looked at her, and anyone within a 5 block radius... Nothing ever came of it.

Hell, I treat my dogs better than most of the people I deal with on a day to day basis treat their children... I understand that service dogs are an actual thing and can benefit people who really need them.

But the clowns who try to game the system ruin it for the people who really need them and have actually certified, and trained dogs.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any registration, certification, or paperwork carried by a service dog is legally essentially meaningless and is just something provided by a trainer or some random company to make it easier for the owner of the service dog to deal with people who don't know anything about service dogs or the laws about them.

The ones we've worked with had official tags of some sort.
But they were not support animals, they were service dogs trained for specific tasks.
Laminated ID's, 2-3 attached to the vests.

They may have LOOKED official, but there is NO SUCH THING as an official tag or ID for service animals.

Check this page, specifically question 17:

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

quote:
Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?

A. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.

There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

But the clowns who try to game the system ruin it for the people who really need them and have actually certified, and trained dogs.

That's the crux of the matter for reasonable people. How to weed out the clowns need to be solved.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

That's the crux of the matter for reasonable people. How to weed out the clowns need to be solved.

Frankly, I think it is a miracle that the government hasn't set up a huge agency, thousands of contradictory regulations, and a bunch of assorted taxes and fees in order to completely fail to do anything effective while making the whole process tremendously more painful and expensive for the people who actually need it.

That seems to be SOP, after all.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frankly, I think it is a miracle that the government hasn't set up a huge agency, thousands of contradictory regulations, and a bunch of assorted taxes and fees in order to completely fail to do anything effective while making the whole process tremendously more painful and expensive for the people who actually need it.

That seems to be SOP, after all

The Democrats would like that. More help from the Government.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
More help from the Government

Don't give them any ideas.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15715 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Couple of days ago at Safeway, I saw a guy coming out of the store with not one, but two "service" or "emotional support" dogs. He must have really been in bad shape. I'm glad I don't need a dog (yet) to help me hobble from my WC parking place to the store. I hate to see all the little lap dogs accompanying our senior citizens, for no other reason than they want take their fluffi in the store with them.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is certainly possible for a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist to evaluate whether the individual requires a service dog. Unfortunately, there will probably be some state legislation that addresses this issue. I would think it similar to applying for a handicapped sticker for parking. As it stands pretty much any healthcare professional can write these notes. Sympathetic physicians and nurses write these notes frequently, and as a consequence there are malingerers and other miscreants who have these special privileges. I think there can be a workable solution here that satisfies both sides.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any service dog not accompanying a person wearing shades and a white cane is suspect.

Posts: 1800 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post