SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PTSD, Support Animals, and Open Carry
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTSD, Support Animals, and Open Carry Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I was out at a retail store today and saw something that I had never seen before. Perhaps it wasn't even legitimate.

A woman dressed in regular clothes wearing dog tags around her neck. She had a dog with a vest that had a "PTSD Support Animal" patch sewn on. She was also open carrying what looked to be a Bersa 380, in a nylon Uncle Mike's type of holster.

Perhaps it was bad for me to judge, but my first thought was that if she couldn't go out in public without an emotional support animal, she probably shouldn't be armed. Then again, maybe she was just seeking attention.

Not a complaint, she was acting normally so not even a concern. Just something I noticed that was new for me.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
She may have been training the animal for its future recipient.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Thank God no one in legislation agrees with you yet.

You'd strip our veterans of their 2nd amendment rights....because it makes you uncomfortable?

I'm sure we could go into statistics about LEO's still on the job with legitimate PTSD, and Military members, still serving with PTSD...not to mention the amount of women and others with PTSD as a result of rape and other violent crimes.....but sure...let's take away their 2nd amendment rights because you don't like it....

Rethink this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13949 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe she got the vest through a site like this:

https://therapypet.org/

The cynic in me agrees with you that if she needs an emotional support animal she should not be armed. But what do I know...

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure we could go into statistics about LEO's still on the job with legitimate PTSD, and Military members, still serving with PTSD...not to mention the amount of women and others with PTSD as a result of rape and other violent crimes.....but sure...let's take away their 2nd amendment rights because you don't like it....

That wasn't the issue at all. I thought I was clear on that.

My issue was not the PTSD, but rather the PTSD so severe that it required an emotional support animal. If legitimate, and I'm not 100% sure it was, if you can't go out in public without a support animal, you may not be well enough to be armed. Especially since severe PTSD may put the person in fear when no danger exists.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

That wasn't the issue at all. I thought I was clear on that.

My issue was not the PTSD, but rather the PTSD so severe that it required an emotional support animal.
What acceptable level of PTSD in your trained opinion warrants the removal of a person's right to bear arms?

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13949 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What acceptable level of PTSD in your trained opinion warrants the removal of a person's right to bear arms?

What acceptable level of other mental issues warrants the removal of a person's rights?

I'd say it's when that level reaches a point where it may be dangerous to the person or those around them.

www.zykansafe.com

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Seems like every swinging Richard has caught on and figured out the way to bring your dog everywhere is by slapping a vest on it that says "support" of some sort.

There's no questioning it.

I knew a guy who did that. He sure as hell didn't have PTSD refueling planes in Texas but he had some emotional issues. Maybe mommy and daddy didn't hug/kiss him enough. Brought his American Bulldog everywhere, even to the basketball courts without it being leashed. It had run after other dogs before, those dogs were leashed. He was lucky someone didn't shoot his damn dog.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

What acceptable level of other mental issues warrants the removal of a person's rights?

I'd say it's when that level reaches a point where it may be dangerous to the person or those around them.
A point in which the law has already determined that a medical/psychological professional can make. Someone with a legitimate PTSD service animal, is very likely in the care of such a professional.

You felt it important enough to come in here and post publicly about it. You have a problem with people needing service animals too? Was the service animal a bogus animal without any training? Did this person somehow actually do something that made you feel unsafe?

I've never picked up on the snowflake vibe from you before...so I'm trying really hard here to give you the benefit of doubt.

www.rikrlandvs.com

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like every swinging Richard has caught on and figured out the way to bring your dog everywhere is by slapping a vest on it that says "support" of some sort.

It certainly wasn't any official type of vest. It was a patch that was sewn on a regular looking harness.

That combined with the dog tags and with the open carry (not very common here in Missouri) is what also made me believe she may not be legitimate. Could be more of a "look at me and give me attention" sort of thing.

www.zykansafe.com

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
A point in which the law has already determined that a medical/psychological professional can make. Someone with a legitimate PTSD service animal, is very likely in the care of such a professional.

You felt it important enough to come in here and post publicly about it. You have a problem with people needing service animals too? Was the service animal a bogus animal without any training? Did this person somehow actually do something that made you feel unsafe?

I've never picked up on the snowflake vibe from you before...so I'm trying really hard here to give you the benefit of doubt.

You're not picking up on it now either. Had I been concerned I wouldn't have remained near her with my two small children and perhaps I would have called the police.

I felt compelled to come here and talk about it because in all 40 years of my life on this earth I have never seen such a thing. And I've seen a lot of stuff.

I also have friends who have seen a lot of stuff. A few of them even have/had PTSD (service related). Most of them have guns. None of them ever had it to such an extent that an animal was required.

In these parts open carry is legal, especially if you possess a concealed permit. I spend roughly 12 hours a day out in public. Up until now, and not counting the planned protesters, I have never seen somebody open carrying. And the one time I do it's this woman who has other stuff going on that grabs my attention.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

There is considerable controversy regarding this issue. It is complicated and cannot be based on a simple Diagnosis of PTSD. Many states prohibit purchase of firearms by individuals who have been committed against their will to an inpatient psychiatric facility. Typically, that involves an examination by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist that determines whether the person is dangerous to themselves or others or unable to take care of themselves in the community.

At one time, there was a bill pending that would prohibit anyone receiving social security disability and having a payee as being unable to possess a firearm. This bill was not made law, but gives you an idea of the overreaching of our government.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What about all the crazy motherfuckers that have no external "indicators" like you think you saw with that women, around you, everyday, everywhere you go?

All those batshit crazy, maybe gonna pop your eyes out and skull fuck you types, that look well adjusted and all "normal" like, but underneath that all American exterior...

What do you do about them?

Me? I am only afraid of being afraid.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
That combined with the dog tags and with the open carry (not very common here in Missouri) is what also made me believe she may not be legitimate. Could be more of a "look at me and give me attention" sort of thing.

Open carry is hardly ever tactically intelligent, most legitimate PTSD dogs that come from legitimate trainers also come with a fairly official looking vest of some sort, but it's really up to the disabled person to determine what the dog wears. The rules on this are quite lax. I work with a lot of veterans who utilize dogs for PTSD, and it changes their lives. I've only known of a very select few that needed their 2nd amendment rights to be revoked, and in those cases there were lots of other reasons to revoke them besides PTSD. You interact with people who have PTSD probably a lot more than you realize. It is difficult enough to accept an outward revealing label by utilizing a service animal, it's also difficult to consider getting help when someone has to be scared of losing their guns as well. To LEO's and Veterans, having your firearms removed is a really big deal. People who have zero understanding of what PTSD is and is not, really shouldn't be making blanket judgements about removing other's rights. I'm choosing to believe that you aren't posting this as one of those people, but rather that you simply witnessed someone doing something you don't see very often.

www.rikrlandvs.com

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
but rather that you simply witnessed someone doing something you don't see very often.

That and it wasn't so convincing on top of that. Of course I'm not going to be "that guy" and open my mouth about it.

Either way something didn't strike me as right about it.

quote:
What about all the crazy motherfuckers that have no external "indicators" like you think you saw with that women, around you, everyday, everywhere you go?

I'm used to seeing them. Big Grin

I did a google search for the patch, and of course one of the first results is one sold on Amazon.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
There are many other psychological disorders other than PTSD that could pose a problem. The majority of patients with PTSD are not dangerous to others. Individuals who are likely to harm others range from adolescents with poor impulse control, individuals who have serious alcohol and drug problems, those that are psychotic, and sociopaths. If the average person knew what goes through the minds of some people they would never leave their homes.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are many other psychological disorders other than PTSD that could pose a problem.

Sure. Had a former neighbor some years back that fit that description. One day I saw him with a gun and had the same gut reaction. It didn't seem right.

He shot himself about a year ago. Never harmed anybody else.

www.zykansafe.com

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Carrying a Bersa in a nylon holster. Obviously there's a problem. Wink

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carrying a Bersa in a nylon holster. Obviously there's a problem.

It wasn't just one thing. It was the whole picture that rung my bell. Big Grin

Her shirt was long enough to cover the gun, but she intentionally had it out. She intentionally had her dog tags out front and center. In honesty, I probably wouldn't have even noticed either of the other two if she didn't have the dog with the big patch on it.

www.zykansafe.com

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have a "Smelling Nose Dog" to protect me from Sarin gas. If he detects the smell of Sarin gas, he is trained to start howling.

So far so good.

I've never been killed by Sarin gas.

I thought about training him to detect Commies, but here in Northern Virginia, near DC, he'd never stop howling.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post