SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Macchi Castoli MC 72 Schneider Cup Racer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Macchi Castoli MC 72 Schneider Cup Racer Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Held the speed record for piston powered sea planes since the 1930's. Love the tandem counter rotating V12s and the low drag surface radiators on the floats, wings, float struts and lower cowling.

Took an English guy to figure out what was blowing them up. He figured out a fuel brew and that they were going lean with 400 MPH ram air. The Supermarine racers were awesome also. They won the cup that closed the races.

http://www.air-racing-history....astoli%20MC%2072.htm

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
384 knots / 441 mph. Open cockpit!

From the article it's easy to see the Macchi 202 & 205 lineage. Beautiful and fast aircraft they were.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Beautiful aircraft. The Italians built some of the prettiest

(and ugliest)

aircraft of WWII. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Beautiful aircraft. The Italians built some of the prettiest

(and ugliest)

aircraft of WWII. . .

The same can be said for Italian made cars:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The 1942 movie Spitfire includes an earlier section regarding R.J. Mitchell's development of Schneider Cup float-plane racers for Supermarine.

Here's another link, including a photo of Jimmy Doolittle with his Curtiss floatplane--that team brought the Schneider Cup to the US.

Schneider Cup history

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how much those Schneider Trophy racers resembled each other.
Here is Reginald Mitchell's S6b (the forerunner to the Spitfire)

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

I'll assume the ribs along the sides are another form of low drag radiators. Amazing how fast the Brits went with one Rolls Royce R racing engine, the Italians set the record with a pair of Fiat V12s making 24 cylinders. I think the total displacement was about 100 liters.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
That's what it looks like.
There is no other visible radiator intake.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I built a model of the S6B when I was a kid. That plane, and the Schneider Trophy fascinated me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I too had a model of the S6B but the Spitfire was the aircraft that really fascinated me.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Imagine how fast a similar plane could go today, even with the same powerplant, with modern wing and propeller design and aerodynamics.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

That is a BEAUTIFUL aircraft. Like the airborne version of Arabian horses. . .

I love how the pilot has no forward vision, but what he could glance out the side panels. It would have been awesome to watch one of those races.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
For gearheads, a detailed paper on the development of Italian Schneider Cup engines:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/....gov/19930094473.pdf

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The 1942 movie Spitfire includes an earlier section regarding R.J. Mitchell's development of Schneider Cup float-plane racers for Supermarine.

Here's another link, including a photo of Jimmy Doolittle with his Curtiss floatplane--that team brought the Schneider Cup to the US.

Schneider Cup history

Just saw the version released in England called "The First of the Few". Although it depicts R. J. Mitchell almost 180 degrees differently from what he was actually like, it's an interesting movie for aviation buffs.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
eslie Howard's portrayal of Mitchell has a special significance since Howard was killed when the Lisbon-to-London civilian airliner in which he was travelling was shot down by the Luftwaffe on 1 June 1943. His death occurred only days before The First of the Few was released in the United States, under the title Spitfire.

Just found this in Wikipedia. Ironic death for Leslie Howard.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post