SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pressure cooker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure cooker Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I know that meats come out tender when using the pressure cooker. But that's usually when the liquid level is covering the meat.

What if I wanted to just steam the meat -- use a low level of liquid; the meat is on something that's raised above the liquid level. Will the meat come out tender in this case as well?

I have some spare rib nuggets (coated in some seasoning) that I want to steam only, not immerse in liquid, but want them to come out tender.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
My wife did exactly what you're talking about with some ribs and they came out great.
She's cooked quite a few things in the pressure cooker since she got it a couple months ago and everything has been good.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Pressure cookers are fantastic to use for all types of cooking. The one thing I learned many years ago is you need to keep the contents elevated above the bottom if you are using a small amount of liquid. Once upon a time, some cookers came with a trivet and divider pots for cooking things separate. If you don't have a trivet then an easy fix is to use a collapsible stainless steamer basket with legs for standoff, the kind you can use with different pot sizes on the stove top. They are very inexpensive and can be found often in thrift stores.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post