SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any issues running a Deep Cycle Battery as your main cracking battery? Or should I go AGM? Toyota has failed me!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any issues running a Deep Cycle Battery as your main cracking battery? Or should I go AGM? Toyota has failed me!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Not too happy with Old Toyota at the moment.
Was having some issues with the van and had to start jumping the thing this weekend. Of course it was a holiday weekend so they were not open.
And of course the thing was dead this morning once again. I checked for any lights being left on.
Well it is a 2014 Sienna and it is under the Toyota Factory CPO warranty. Still in the 12 month 12,000 bumper to bumper section of the warrant as I have had it only 2 months and just clicked 40k on the odometer.
Well guess what batteries are covered by nothing but the original 3 year/36k warranty. The CPO means nothing for batteries. What does that tell me? Even Toyota thinks their batteries are crap!
I have had a 92, 96, 2002 Mustang and a 2003 Explorer I got 10 years out of all of those factory batteries!
Now I understand that with the newer vehicles comes more electronics and stuff to drain on the battery but less than 3 years that freaking sucks!!! So since I am paying for a battery should I go ahead and switch over to a deep cycle battery or should I go with an AGM??
I have never bought anything other than Ford Motorcraft standard batteries.

What should I get. Another Toyota battery is not happening.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
A regular car battery will be just fine. A deep cycle is designed to have a high current draw and re- charge. Automotive batteries work best and last longer at their designed charge. It is not good for them to discharge deeply. Interstate, Duralast, etc seem to be good batteries. I'm sure some folks currently in the repair biz will make some good suggestions.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Uh, you do understand that Toyota (and all other auto makers) don't make batteries? Or tires for that matter?

Go to any auto parts store, or Walmart, and get a battery. No, you don't want a deep cycle. Those are designed for long constant draws of amperage. An auto battery is designed for the large, short length draws of LOTS of amps to crank the starter. You want a battery with a high CCA (cold cranking amps) number.

PS. Any battery has the potential of lasting anywhere from 2 or 3 months up to 8 or 9 years.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This is why I get my batteries at Walmart. I run all sorts of equipment that relies on batteries. Doesn't matter what time of day, what day of the week, or what part of the country I'm in. I can swing into a Walmart for a replacement, and if it's under warranty, it's good anywhere.

Not to mention they've been just as good as any other battery I have used in the past from a variety of other sources.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
IMHO, there's no benefit to the extra $$$ for AGM if you don't need it (per OEM specs). I've always had great luck with Autozone's batteries, and they're easy to deal with if you have a warranty claim.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have used Advanced Auto and WalMart a bunch for our Acuras, GMs, Toyotas...

Advance Auto will install for 'free' but obviously they kinda price that in to the cost.

Good results with both. Typically get ~5 years out of them. Of course save the receipt for possible pro-rated replacement if they fail early...

So yes - that Toyota battery failed early IME.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was recently on the Toyota 4Runner forum and read that guys with the AGM batteries were having issues as the alternator for a standard battery is putting out too low a voltage to charge the AGM to full potential. They were adding a device that caused the alternator to charge at a higher voltage which then somewhat stressed the alternator. I suggest staying with a standard lead acid battery. I had forgotten my old Moto Guzzi motorcycle used an AGM battery and it was not recommended to use a conventional battery as a replacement as it would boil the battery dry. It also needed a different charger to get the battery to full charge.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Uh, you do understand that Toyota (and all other auto makers) don't make batteries? Or tires for that matter?

Go to any auto parts store, or Walmart, and get a battery. No, you don't want a deep cycle. Those are designed for long constant draws of amperage. An auto battery is designed for the large, short length draws of LOTS of amps to crank the starter. You want a battery with a high CCA (cold cranking amps) number.

PS. Any battery has the potential of lasting anywhere from 2 or 3 months up to 8 or 9 years.

I am well aware they do not make their own batteries, just like the majority of their parts.
But the fact they stick their name on it and their sticker, it becomes their baby. Same with tires even though they don't re badge them. Something happens to those tires in the "covered period" it is on them. They may work something out on the back end with the tire manufacturer but the issue arises under the coverage period during a new vehicle purchase the vehicle manufacturer is who you visit.
According to the service fella Factory batteries are Panasonic and seem to last better than the replacements they use.
Sounded strange and he said each dealer sources replacements from different manufacturers based upon location and availability. Usually Panasonic or Interstate. They source theirs locally from Interstate.

I ended up going with a NAPA Premium Legend AGM battery as it is the same price that Toyota wanted but with a better warranty.
Can't say I could get much worse than the Toyota but it is always possible. NAPA has always been high quality in everything I have used.

I presume we may see a different approach to vehicle batteries as we add more and more electronics to these vehicles and folks like me who are used to 10 years on a battery don't even get half that.

Maybe some sort of dual battery setup that completely separates the battery for the electronics from the battery for the starter.

————————————————

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My experience is that three years is not bad for battery life nowadays. I very seldom have one last 6 or 7. A Walmart battery in an old Suburban once made it to 10. On my wife's vehicle I replace the battery at 3 years to reduce the likelihood of unpleasant consequences if it fails on her.

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
IMHO, there's no benefit to the extra $$$ for AGM if you don't need it (per OEM specs). I've always had great luck with Autozone's batteries, and they're easy to deal with if you have a warranty claim.

-Rob

Besides OEM specs, the other reason to get AGM would be for an occasional use vehicle - standard car batteries lose 10-20% charge per month, good AGM batteries lose 1-2% per month.

You can also install them sideways or upside down, but that's generally more useful for boats.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI the battery in my 2012 Mustang just lasted approx 2 years

I remember someone stating that a typical car battery that has been fully discharged will have a shorter life. Maybe the prior owner was not kind to the battery.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
For severe service I think AGM is most definitely better. As mentioned if you go long periods between starting, or operate in extreme temperatures, I like the AGM (also for strange mounting positions). AGM's also are better at being recovered, drawn down and charged back up like nothing happened (with the correct charger). For an everyday driver though I use regular lead acid. In my application I just don't need the extra features. Last lead acid battery I had was an Enegizer in my Grand Cherokee, lasted 7 years. I just replaced it with a NAPA legend lead acid. If I get five years I'm happy, any more is gravy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yikes.
I am not liking these numbers. Wife's Highlander is 4 years old. Maybe I should just grab a new one for hers as I don't want her stranded somewhere with the boys.

————————————————

Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Have you had the alternator checked?

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Interstate batteries are what I use in everything. We sell them and very very rarely have a warranty issue.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I usually get one made by 'Johnson Controls', no adverse issues.

Last I looked, there were only 3 battery makers in the USA, standard auto batteries.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, you have absolutely no idea how that battery was treated before you were the owner. Being a minivan I wouldn't be the least bit surprised of lights had been left on more than once draining the battery down. It doesn't take many times for that to happen before the battery life is drastically shortened.

My original 2014 Tundra battery is still running strong and it sits for long periods of time without being driven.

My wife's 2007 4Runner OEM Panasonic battery lasted for 9 years. Those made in Japan Panasonic's are legendary for their long life, too bad we can't buy them here. I only replaced it this past winter just to minimize the risk of it not starting for her on a cold winter day. The replacement Toyota battery from our local dealer (made by Johnson controls) has so far been working great.

My buddy was at 8 years for the same Panasonic battery in his 2008 4Runner until he left his lights on one time by mistake. The battery never recovered and he had to replace it shortly after. Even the best batteries don't do well with a deep discharge.

My 2003 Lexus OEM battery (also a Toyota product) lasted for 8 years. The first Autozone replacement only lasted for about 1.5 years, the replacement was pro-rated and lasted about as long. Went over to NAPA batteries next and am still not real impressed. I'll be surprised if I get 3 years out of the NAPA battery.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
This is why I get my batteries at Walmart. I run all sorts of equipment that relies on batteries. Doesn't matter what time of day, what day of the week, or what part of the country I'm in. I can swing into a Walmart for a replacement, and if it's under warranty, it's good anywhere.

Not to mention they've been just as good as any other battery I have used in the past from a variety of other sources.
^^^This. I'm done chasing expensive batteries. And I've had zero issues with Walmart replacing a battery under warranty.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I guess I am behind the times in regard to car batteries but in this case does not seem to be a bad thing.
So maybe I won't blame Toyota too much aside from I find it silly they do not cover a battery 2 months after a CPO purchase.
Ohh well the NAPA is cheaper and has a longer warranty. If it sucks as bad as this Toyota one did I am only out $93.

Been thinking about getting AAA here recently and now being informed of the new trend in vehicle batteries at $120 a year and covers a battery amongst all the other things seems like a no brained.

————————————————

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't know where Toyota sources their battery's from but they are junk in an otherwise great car. Going by the price shown in the service ticket they are way, way overpriced too.
My wife's Lexus RX350 went through several while under warranty including one that leaked acid all over.
Then, another went out while still under the warranty so we just bought our own Interstate and it has now been trouble free for several years.
Both the dealer and I have checked for charging system problems and there were none that caused the problem.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post