SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why isn’t anyone talking about the link between psychiatric medications and mass shootings?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why isn’t anyone talking about the link between psychiatric medications and mass shootings? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Who really thinks that if these mass murderers weren't taking any medicines , that they would be model citizens ?? And why do you think that ?

You're following the wrong trail of cause and effect.... They were given these meds in an attempt to straighten them out.... The only things you might blame on the meds is that they weren't strong enough...

If these meds are the problems....then why has it taken 40+ years to see the results ?? Some of these meds were on the market in the 1960's ( Thorazine, Mellaril, Stellazine, Lithium ).

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Here's the problem with blaming these drugs on the mass shootings, how many people take these drugs and do kill multiple people?

Blaming a drug is really no different than blaming the gun....

This guy right here.

Could the drugs have something to do with it? Mebbe. But maaaaaaaybe it's more likely that some of the folks they put on the drugs are just the type to go off the deep end and start hosing down classrooms and movie theaters, the drugs just didn't fix their problem. Maybe it made it worse for some people, that happens. We're incredibly complex meat robots, all manner of thing could throw us out of whack and we wind up malfunctioning. You take this pill, and you're not depressed anymore. You take that pill and suddenly you hear voices telling you to kill the mailman. You take another pill and your asshole bleeds, but at least your hair is growing back.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a step brother who was diagnosed as a Schizophrenic at age 23. He is now 65 and he has been on psychotropic medications for over 40 years and he is not now nor as ever been a Mass Shooter. IMO you are putting the cart before the pony. Because the only times when my stepbrother got in serious problems was when he has gone "off" his meds. Note, these meds have some rather severe side effects and one side effect is that it slows and dulls the mental process. Which is one reason why patients on these medications will stop taking them. Basically the problem isn't the medications, IT IS THE MENTAL DEFECTS IN THE INDIVIDUAL THAN MANDATES THE USE OF THESE DRUGS.

There are some specific mental health defects that are alarmingly common to Mass Shooters. If we really want to stop these shootings we need to be willing to identify individuals who should be barred from owning a firearm or living in a home with access to firearms. While it is a bitter pill in regards to the 2nd Amendment I will point out that Felons currently have their 2nd Amendment rights revoked when convicted. So, we need to recognize that some mental health conditions place a Priority of Public Safety over Privacy in Medical Records. Quite simply the Medical Community needs to be informed that they MUST report certain mental health defects to the NICS system upon initial diagnosis. I also believe that these patients should have a process that allows them to appeal these reported conditions but that process must involve the original Medical Practitioner in addition to any practitioners supporting the appeal for re-reinstatement of rights.

There are also other factors that help Create a Mass Shooter. One is involvement ins First Person Shooter video games. Talk to anyone who has researched the effect of these games on younger people and you will be told that they De-Sensitize the players to extreme violence at a level approaching 100%. To be blunt these games aren't healthy and should be banned. Then there is Bullying, something that has always been present in public schools but the degree of what takes place today is at least 10 times what I saw when I was in school over 50 years ago. In addition a lot of the bullying going on today involves gangs assaulting a single student instead of 1 on 1 incidents that was what was typical when I was in school. Finally the News Media needs to have limits placed on the reporting, because it has become obvious that anyone with a lick of sense that these overblown media reports lead to more shootings.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post