SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why isn’t anyone talking about the link between psychiatric medications and mass shootings?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why isn’t anyone talking about the link between psychiatric medications and mass shootings? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM: WHY ISN’T ANYONE TALKING ABOUT THE LINK BETWEEN PSYCHIATRIC MEDICATIONS AND MASS SHOOTINGS?
MAY 23, 2018 | ETHAN HUFF | NATURALNEWS.COM | 929 VIEWS
Top Tier Gear USA

The “March For Our Lives” gun-grabbers have convinced themselves that the only way to stop mass shootings in the United States is to prohibit law-abiding Americans from owning firearms. But what these brainwashed leftists fail (or willfully refuse) to acknowledge is the fact that almost every major shooting incident that’s occurred in recent years is directly tied to the perpetrators’ use of mind-altering pharmaceuticals.
We now know, for example, that accused Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz had been taking psychiatric prescriptions prior to allegedly shooting up Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. We also now know that authorities had been made privy to Cruz’s drug-associated mental problems prior to the incident, but proceeded to do nothing to address them.
An investigator from Florida’s Department of Children and Families discovered back in 2016 that Cruz, who had just turned 18 at the time, had been talking on Snapchat about cutting himself, as well as trying to find help obtaining a firearm. This investigator reportedly told NBC News that Cruz clearly “stated that he plans to go out and buy a gun,” but that it was “unknown what he is buying the gun for.”
Even Cruz’s own mother admitted to authorities during the investigation that her son had behavioral problems suggestive of the fact that he had no business purchasing a firearm. She reportedly told investigators that Nikolas owned an air gun that “she would take away from him when he did not follow rules about shooting only at backyard targets,” to quote The New York Times (NYT).
Despite all this, and the fact that Cruz was known to be on mind-altering behavioral drugs, the department declared Cruz to be “low risk,” and proceeded to close his case within two months of it being opened. This blatant failure to properly assess the situation is what many experts now believe resulted in the tragedy.
“Had Cruz been committed, under existing gun laws he would have become unable to legally buy a gun to carry out his murderous fantasies,” wrote Dr. Peter Breggin in an article that was republished by GreenMedInfo.com.
“Alternatively, if he had been carefully and safely removed from his psychiatric drugs while receiving good psychosocial therapy, his escalating violent impulses might have abated. Instead, he was left on his own to face the death of his mother and his expulsion from school, while his murderous impulses were fueled by drugs.”
Guns aren’t the problem – mind-altering drugs are the problem
The drugs Cruz was taking, for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), have been connected to mass shootings in the past. One example of this was 15-year-old Hammad Memon, who reportedly shot and killed a fellow middle school student while taking the drug Zoloft for both ADHD and depression. More well known is the Columbine shooting in Colorado, one of the shooters of which was also on Zoloft, followed by another drug known as Luvox.
Prozac is another common ADHD drug that’s repeatedly been associated with acts of violence. A 16-year-old boy named Jeff Weise who was taking the drug shot his grandfather, his grandfather’s girlfriend, and more than a dozen of his fellow students in Red Lake, Minnesota. And this is just one of many similar incidents, all involving Prozac, Zoloft, Ritalin, and/or a variety of other brain-bending pharmaceuticals commonly prescribed for depression and ADHD.
“Not only do psychiatric drugs add to the risk of violence, but psychiatric treatment lulls the various authorities and the family into believing that the patient is now ‘under control’ and ‘less of a risk,’” warns Dr. Breggin.
“Even the patient may think the drugs are helping, and continue to take them right up to the moment of violence.” Read ChemicalViolence.com for more details of the dangers of psychiatric drugs.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com...ass-shootings_052018

I brought this up about 6 years ago and the facts bear out what I've been saying about these people, they are on a Pyschotropic drug(s) in 99% of the mass shooting cases!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Medical Definition of Psychotropic drug?

https://www.medicinenet.com/sc...asp?articlekey=30807

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Ollie North is making them talk about it.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
probably cause doing so would violate the patients (even for the shooter) HIPAA rights,

and gotta wonder how many folks are on such drugs out there,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
because when you perhaps talk about the cause, you have to give up the argument on guns being the problem

and to the libtards, thats unthinkable

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The site I referenced, years ago, was removed by????
Big Pharma???

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
because when you perhaps talk about the cause, you have to give up the argument on guns being the problem

and to the libtards, thats unthinkable

Sums it up.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is a chicken/egg deal. Did the drugs do it or were they that troubled already (and the drugs were being used to treat it). Hell maybe these people would have went off sooner without the drugs? *shrug* I don't know how to answer that question or how to even study it with the relatively low incidence of this behavior.

I do think that the over medication of children needs to stop. You don't medicate someone for just being a fucking kid (never mind the insanity of shoving kids full of hormone blockers because they want to be a boy/girl this week).

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

A lot. If someone took Zoloft for anxiety at age 10, should they be prohibited for life? Should a woman taking it for post partum depression have their firearms seized? We really don't need another class of prohibited individuals.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I think this is a chicken/egg deal. Did the drugs do it or were they that troubled already (and the drugs were being used to treat it). Hell maybe these people would have went off sooner without the drugs? *shrug* I don't know how to answer that question or how to even study it with the relatively low incidence of this behavior.

I do think that the over medication of children needs to stop. You don't medicate someone for just being a fucking kid (never mind the insanity of shoving kids full of hormone blockers because they want to be a boy/girl this week).

Shawn

Yes.

Which way does the linkage go? Do drugs cause the problem, or are drugs used when there already is a problem? Noting a correlation between the drugs and the shooters tells us very little about causation - only that it is something we want to look at.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

A lot. If someone took Zoloft for anxiety at age 10, should they be prohibited for life? Should a woman taking it for post partum depression have their firearms seized? We really don't need another class of prohibited individuals.

I agree that we need to be very careful about setting standards for how crazy you have to be to be a prohibited person, and about how that decision is made. I think it should be judicial, with all the usual guarantees that due process requires.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:

Uh, it's not "chick/egg."

They don't give psychiatric medication to people who are normal. They give you prosac, lithium or whatever, because you're not OK.

Would these people have "went off" without the drugs, is difficult study to get any data on.

Yes, of course mass shootings are not common behavior, that is part of the issue with clowns wanting to ban guns due to something that is actually so rare.

All we CAN do, is look at the individual cases, and find common threads. Such as, did they get their guns from a parent or relative? Were they mentally troubled? and so on.

Mass shootings will never go away, but we can minimize them. How we do that is a societal and socioeconomic problem. It has nothing to do with legislating what guns lawful citizens can own. Nothing.

Real solutions to the problem have ZERO to do with the second amendment.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:They don't give psychiatric medication to people who are normal. They give you prosac, lithium or whatever, because you're not OK.

There's a huge range of "not OK". You interact with people on SSRIs every day and never know it.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The drugs Cruz was taking, for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), have been connected to mass shootings in the past.

"Connected" in what way?
These twits also drank water, breathed air and watched TV. I bet they listened to music and rode in cars.
The only thing that "connects them" is they're some of the talking monkeys who aren't wired right.

To blame RXs for nutso behavior is a bit of a reach. Should it be looked at? Sure!
But it needs to be an objective study without a preconceived notion or desired outcome starting out.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Because that's not the problem they want to solve.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
because other countries have people who take these drugs, but they don't have the gun violence we have.

that is the answer i received recently when i posed the same question on another forum.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve long held the opinion that screwing with the brain chemistry of children has as many if not more negative effects as treatment may help. I don’t have a Ph.D. and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express though.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve long held the opinion that screwing with the brain chemistry of children has as many if not more negative effects as treatment may help. I don’t have a Ph.D. and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express though.

The next addictive crisis which is already on the horizon are the stimulant medications, ie Adderall and the like which are abused by one of out of four college students. Everyone seems to know about opiates, more restrictions are now being placed on benzos. Physicians are now doing screens routinely on patients taking benzos to see if other drugs show up. The stimulant drugs will be next.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upset teenagers are already near the edge, adding in the ups and downs when taking psych meds could easily push them over.
I would call this a med problem, because the teens would be very unlikely to shoot up the school, no matter how upset they were.

As to Big Pharma shutting down links, definitely. They got the files closed on the Columbine killers. Big Pharma has billions at stake here, both from lawsuits and loss of sales.

Remember the Gene Hackman movie, "The Conversation"? The movie talks about big money and how far it will go to keep what it has. I think Big Pharma would do just about anything to not be connected to these school shootings.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:They don't give psychiatric medication to people who are normal. They give you prosac, lithium or whatever, because you're not OK.

There's a huge range of "not OK". You interact with people on SSRIs every day and never know it.

Yes... I was saying that they don't give these medications to anyone for no reason. You don't take them just because you like the taste.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post