SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum Electricians, a question regarding transfer switches.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum Electricians, a question regarding transfer switches. Login/Join 
posted
As I gear up for hurricane season, I am going to have a transfer switch or interlock installed. My generator is 10kw/8kw running. The distribution panel in my garage does not house the main breaker, it's in its own box outside of my garage. Because there is no main in the distribution panel, an interlock becomes a little more costly because a new main has to be installed along with a backfeed breaker. Cost for interlock is $670.
My question is:
Is it possible to install a 60amp single load transfer switch outside at the main breaker panel and simply plug my generator into that when I lose power? Then flip the switch from utility power to generator power to send power to my entire distribution panel, choosing which breakers to run.
Thanks for your help

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In short, depending on your local codes, yes. This is how my house is wired. When they built my house, they put two boxes in, the main and the secondary. Power comes into the main, and powers such things as the Range, Dryer, AC(i.e. the high power draw stuff. Then this feeds into the secondary and powers essentials, MBR lights, kitchen lights, well, & septic, plus a few other lights.

Here is the main panel(The lower right breakers feed the secondary panel):

The lower right breakers feed the secondary panel

This is the secondary panel. At the bottom is the switch that determines whether it is fed from the main panel(Utility) or the generator:

This is a close up of the secondary panel Utility/Generator selector:

This is where my generator cord comes out from behind the wall:

I put the cord out through this small doggie door to the outside. The generator sits on a concrete pad. One thing I don't have pictured is the Carbon monoxide detector that is across from the doggie door:

EDIT: rereading your post, you will want to also install a watt meter so you can adjust your load. Also you will want to turn off [U]all[/U] of your circuit breakers before you transfer over to your generator.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture of the panel? If I understand correctly you have a disconnect near your electrical meter and an Main Lug Only panel? And your question is can you move your MLO feed to a backfed breaker, right? The short answer is likely not while meeting the electrical code. Unless you can find the breaker retaining kit made for your panel. If you can find the kit and you have a service small enough to backfeed with a standard breaker (100 or 125a). Then it's possible. Most houses have 150a or 200a service which you can't just get a snap in breaker for.

It's probably a lot easier and cheaper to just install a 10 space manual transfer switch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post