SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Cosby - Convicted!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Cosby - Convicted! Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
While I think rapists should be convicted, I don’t like the way charges weren’t brought until he came out and said that the black community’s problems are internal. It seems that as soon as he didn’t tow the company line, he lost his protection. It seems when he took a stand, he became fair game.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I am not very familiar with this case. All I know is that he was accused, and he and his lawyers have been fighting it out in court for quite a while. So, please forgive me for my ignorance, but my question is: What was the evidence? Unless the woman had a blood test approximately 14 years ago - and even then, she could have administered the drugs herself in order to accuse him for the big payout.

I've been hoping he wasn't actually guilty. When I was a kid, we had some of his records and our whole family would listen and laugh.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the libtard-world, there is no more need to prove anyone "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt", it is now just "who was more 'believable' ", and of course the more "believable" side will always be the one conforming to the latest "Liberal Narrative".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This was a court of law, with rules of evidence, burdens of proof, appellate review, a jury, etc.

I think it is more than safe to assume that the state of Pennsylvania carried its burden to prove to 12 jurors that Cosby did what the commonwealth accused him of doing.

The doubts and questions expressed here are all legitimate. You can be assured that Cosby's defense raised all them and probably ones we didn't think of, and worked very hard to convince the jury that those doubts should prevent his conviction. Obviously, the prosecution prevailed, and convinced the jury, though the use of actual evidence, that Cosby was guilty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This was a court of law, with rules of evidence, burdens of proof, appellate review, a jury, etc.

I think it is more than safe to assume that the state of Pennsylvania carried its burden to prove to 12 jurors that Cosby did what the commonwealth accused him of doing.

The doubts and questions expressed here are all legitimate. You can be assured that Cosby's defense raised all them and probably ones we didn't think of, and worked very hard to convince the jury that those doubts should prevent his conviction. Obviously, the prosecution prevailed, and convinced the jury, though the use of actual evidence, that Cosby was guilty.

In the same manner OJ was innocent.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it is more than safe to assume that the state of Pennsylvania carried its burden to prove to 12 jurors that Cosby did what the commonwealth accused him of doing....

It seems OJ Simpson's jury found him innocent, although there seemed to be substantial evidence to the contrary. You have more confidence in the legal system than I do.

Edited to add: Augen beat me to it.

As my son-in-law told me, at the time a DA, "justice is a process, not necessarily an end result".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
From what I've read it was the fact that several other women (five) were allowed to testify in this retrial. In the first one, only one other alleged victim was allowed testimony (ending in a deadlocked jury).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
It seems OJ Simpson's jury found him innocent, although there seemed to be substantial evidence to the contrary.

Did they find him innocent or Not Guilty?

"Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. The standard that must be met by the prosecution's evidence in a criminal prosecution: that no other logical explanation can be derived from the facts except that the defendant committed the crime, thereby overcoming the presumption that a person is innocent until proven guilty."

Do peoples perception of the judicial system change depending on whether the case was resolved as they thought?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
OJ had the presence of mind to keep his mouth shut.

Cosby essentially confessed in a deposition. That was played in court.

quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
quote:

In the same manner OJ was innocent.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I liked him as a comic way back in the 60's. His comedy records were pretty good. He was one of the first...or maybe THE first black to be cast in a serious TV series; I Spy.

Saw him in AC way back and got to speak with him after the show. He seemed like a decent guy.

He wasn't your typical black comedian In my opinion. He seemed to be a bit higher classed. Never saw or heard him use the race card.

Sad that he did what he did, I guess I wrongly held the guy up pretty high and respected him. Why it's so sad for me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:....Do peoples perception of the judicial system change depending on whether the case was resolved as they thought?

Are juries ever biased? Are prosecutors ever incompetent? Does the media always present fair and balanced reports?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day I do have empathy for the actors and actresses from The Cosby Show. All the years that cast spent working on one of the most popular shows in television history, I can not even begin to calculate the lost royalties from the show no longer being in syndication.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:....Do peoples perception of the judicial system change depending on whether the case was resolved as they thought?

Are juries ever biased? Are prosecutors ever incompetent? Does the media always present fair and balanced reports?

As with ANYTHING where humans are involved, there are mistakes made in our legal system.

I challenge anyone to show us a better system, as demonstrated in real life (not just a theoretical model). Of course there is room for improvement, but many people here on this forum often claim our system sucks because somebody walks when "they know he/she is guilty.". .

I used to respect cosby. He seemed a class act and a badly-needed role model. Not any more.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Now some are muttering it's only because he's black. 60 accused him or all races over the years.

Cosby was a great comic and his records were some of the best "Why is there air?" Loved it.

But for years my wife showed dogs in the east coast shows. At some of the bigger ones, his dogs were shown . More than once she saw him launch into a hostile ranting if he didn't win.

Met "Mrs. Huxtable" a few times when we did the security for NBA Entertainment in NJ. She would come in to meet her husband at the time Armed Such a pleasant lady. She probably hated keeping quiet.

`-

`

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:....As with ANYTHING where humans are involved, there are mistakes made in our legal system.

I challenge anyone to show us a better system, as demonstrated in real life (not just a theoretical model). Of course there is room for improvement, but many people here on this forum often claim our system sucks because somebody walks when "they know he/she is guilty.". .

I used to respect cosby. He seemed a class act and a badly-needed role model. Not any more.

I agree with Churchill along the lines of "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else". As I commented earlier, a common belief among my lawyer clan, "justice is a process, not necessarily an end result".

Of course people make honest mistakes in judgment, such is part of life. And also at times, some people make dishonest judgments/choices. I believe our founding Constitutional system was inspired, and is the best we have, hoping people strive to be honest. (I do think our nation has a growing problem re honor/ethics/integrity/morals).

I saw Cosby in concert in the early 70's, he was a class act. I would hold him up as an example to refute stereotypical racism.

posted Hide Post
He'll probably get the ole jailhouse "pudding pop" if he is not careful. Big Grin

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three to ten years, maybe out after two years, nine months.

So much gloating by the prosecution team, that they have to be setting the scene for an appeal.

Cosby went right to lockup, since the judge called him a violent sexual predator yesterday, and couldn't exactly talk about bail during the appeal process.

I haven't followed this, since I see it as a combination of the Pound Me Too movement and the sliminess of the entertainment industry, but it's eerie to see this end to a guy we admired so much.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
So long Fat Albert.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
He will be dead before he ever serves a day.

He is suppose to start serving tonite , isn't he?

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Zip Zop Zoobity Bop!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post