SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does my freezer drain stop draining?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does my freezer drain stop draining? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Well... um... because it's in the freezer and it freezes up? It sounds like a stupid answer, but it's the best I've got.

I've got a Maytag upright freezer in the garage. It's great. Except for the fact that every couple of months I have a small iceberg in the bottom of it. That, in turn, brings on an hour's worth of chipping away at the ice (carefully, and in violation of the manufacturer's instructions), removing the interior back panel, and then pouring near-boiling water into the drain (repeatedly) to melt the ice inside the drain tube.

This past weekend brought another edition of this no-fun event, and I again wondered why this happens. It's in the garage, so maybe... um... bugs nesting in the tube? Heck, I don't know. This past weekend I got a little smarter (maybe) and pushed a piece of plastic air line down the tube after melting the ice out. Seems there's no hard clog there -- hot water poured down the tube gurgled right on out. So I put it all back together and put my tools away.

But I know that in a month or so, there will be a mini iceberg in the bottom of the freezer again.

So what gives? Is this really supposed to happen? (I don't think so.) How do I prevent it from repeating? What in the world is going on here? It makes the lower 1/4 of my freezer pretty much unusable.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Garage fridge? So it's a backup? Move the food inside, unplug it to defrost every couple of months?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will help in your situation but this fixed the problem that I was having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYPjuJLrmI

CW

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
Not sure if this will help in your situation but this fixed the problem that I was having.

CW

Just going to suggest this.

You don't have to wrap it around the heating element - calrod - just make a decent hook and hang it.

Works every time its tried. Smile

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's stinking awesome.
Cheap, easy, and effective.
Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my freezer. Turns out the drain tube was clogged with lint. It prevented the water from draining into the tray causing the water to back up into the freezer and freeze which created a layer of ice in the bottom of the freezer.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
If the freezer is full of frost or the cooling core is a block of ice it might be worth taking a look at the defrost element. If it is burned out you will continue to ice up and have to manually defrost. It was an easy fix on my fridge a few years back and it worked perfectly after.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:

CW
This has worked on 2 fridges in my house...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I had the same problem with my freezer. Turns out the drain tube was clogged with lint. It prevented the water from draining into the tray causing the water to back up into the freezer and freeze which created a layer of ice in the bottom of the freezer.

Had the exact problem. Replaced the tube with the new part they now replace it with and no more problems. If you call customer service, they will send you the new style tube for free.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was my problem as well. The drain opening was not well designed either, but that's another topic

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
If the freezer is full of frost or the cooling core is a block of ice it might be worth taking a look at the defrost element. If it is burned out you will continue to ice up and have to manually defrost. It was an easy fix on my fridge a few years back and it worked perfectly after.

Sure, but that's not his problem. His defrost is working - hence the glacier forming on the bottom of the freezer section from melt water.

If your defrost isn't working, check the bimetal switch and continuity on the calrod. If that's good, check the defrost timer/circuitry.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

This was my problem as well. The drain opening was not well designed either, but that's another topic

This summer or sooner, I will have to move the fridge to replace the hard wood floor that got ruined due to the water that flowed out when the freezer filled up with ice. I tried keeping up on getting the ice out, but some weeks I would forget and the water would flow out and on to the floor.
Once I started looking at YouTube, I realized this stupid tube affected several brands and models.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My whole fridge would freeze up, freezer and cooler sections until I tried the Youtube solution. Easy fix, maybe it's not his issue but it's worth a try.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post