SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner & neighbors restrain a thief with duct tape is the headline, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner & neighbors restrain a thief with duct tape is the headline, but... Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
So the sensational headline includes duct tape; however, you don't get to the real reason they were able to get the duct tape on the thief until the middle of the article Roll Eyes

quote:

Homeowner restrains intruder with duct tape until police show up

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE/CNN) – A New Mexico homeowner caught a burglar breaking into his home and, with the help of a neighbor, restrained the suspect with duct tape until police arrived.

Albuquerque Police said surveillance video captured Mark Thompson breaking into the home, and then getting a little too comfortable inside the residence.

In the security video, Thompson is seen casually walking around the house Sunday afternoon, putting on a jacket, and even turning on the TV.

At one point, he grabs a beer from the fridge. The homeowner got an alert that there was movement in his home. He watched Thompson on his phone and called his neighbor.

Shandra Vestal lives across the street from that homeowner and didn’t hesitate to help.

“I went to my garage, my husband and I. We got two pistols. We met him at the cul-de-sac. He blocked off the entry of the cul-de-sac to make sure if he did have a vehicle, the man entering the home wouldn’t be able to escape,” she said. “As he pulled in, I passed him this 45 and then I got the other Ruger.”

That’s when the woman, her husband, and the homeowner confronted Thompson.

“Micah and I went into the home with two of the loaded weapons. Micah announced himself to the perpetrator saying, ‘I have a loaded weapon, get down on your hands and knees,'” she said. “At that time, I came up behind him and we got the individual on his hands and knees to lay down.”

At that point, they made sure he had no way of escaping.

“We got his arms and his feet duct taped. Then we picked him up, carried him out to the front yard and waited for the police to show up,” said Vestal.

When police showed up, they found Thompson on the ground, his hands and ankles taped.

“The police had told us that the home prior that he had broken into. He was wearing the same clothes he had stolen from that home when he broke into Micah’s house,” Vestal said.

This time, Thompson tried to talk his way out of trouble.

“He truly said, ‘I’m not trying to steal anything, I just want to be friends,'” she said.

The homeowner and neighbor said they were both confident in their ability to detain the suspect, because they had both served in the army.

http://www.kmov.com/story/3570...until-police-show-up

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like this Shandra Vestal. I wish I had a neighbor like that.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff.

Definitely not 'sheep' and glad it ended well.

If more people could react similarly we would no doubt have less crime.

'I want to be friends...' I bet you do when you are staring down the barrel of a .45. Big Grin

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
That's a hell of a way to treat a friend! Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They get the Joe Horn Award!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I like this Shandra Vestal. I wish I had a neighbor like that.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Curious -- at what point did the residents actually call the police?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

After they finished their celebration beer. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
After the perp is duct-taped, they invoked this:

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What a great neighbor!

Pretty good taste in firearms, too. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Long after they should have. They shouldn't play police officer. Going home to rendezvous with neighbors, blocking streets, and engaging him with a firearm with no threat present was dumb. My stuff isn't worth dying for. I'd call police. Different story if he was home and possibly in danger.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post