SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would cause a bar of soap to spontaneously liquify over a fairly short period?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would cause a bar of soap to spontaneously liquify over a fairly short period? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I had a bar of soap in the shower....as you do, and it basically started to turn to goo over a couple/three days. What could cause that.

No my sweat and natural scents have never liquified anything or have ever been weaponized. Big Grin

This is just odd as I have never seen it happen.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soap dish not letting the water drain out?

Did any antibacterial liquid soap get near it? That and regular soap seem to turn each other into water and nothing.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Acid based cleaner like CLR.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
EMP... should have kept it in a faraday cage.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dissatisfaction. Try harder to keep happy soap.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aliens.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If I keep the soap in a Faraday cage it won’t be happy and or satisfied so I am screwed.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Aliens.

^^^^^^ - line the bathroom in tinfoil

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
"SSL" Spontaneous Soap Liquidification. Rare phenomenon similar to "SHC" Spontaneous Human Combustion.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think manufacturers may be cutting corners on soap in general to cut costs and not have to raise prices and maybe the formulation isn't as robust?

I like plain Ivory bar soap and lately it seems like the bars have come out of the package half used already they are that small and feel feather-light to me. I could have sworn they used to be much bigger and heavier.

Maybe they are whipping more air into them than they used to?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Perhaps your soap is identifying as shampoo?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If I may be serious for a moment (possible, but unlikely) I'd suspect heat and humidity.

Foregoing thoughts on formulation could well figure into it too.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Definitely a Poltergeist. You know....a ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances such as loud noises and objects thrown around and melting bars of soap.

Tin foil won’t help with these bad boys.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Perhaps your soap is identifying as shampoo?

or liquid soap masquerading as a bar of soap?

transformer?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What kind was it?

If it’s not lye made soap, it may be easier to dissolve.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No-one's asked you if you recently changed your soap, did you? Is there anything else you're doing different in the shower? (no need to go into deeply personal information, Boss Cool)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Irish Spring.
Have Used it before.
Not heat or humidity.
We are however in a different place right now/rental.
The soap in question came out of my travel kit and may have been a year old or so.
If it’s a ghost he’s clean, so thumbs up.
Can’t be an alien as my ass doesn’t hurt, so haven’t been probed.
If my soap is identifying as shampoo, it can do double the work.

Thanks all. It was just strange as I’ve never seen it happen.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
The soap in question came out of my travel kit and may have been a year old or so.

I think we found it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your soap had the 'bola.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 870 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Does soap “expire” if you will?