SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small, simple coffee pot recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small, simple coffee pot recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Bodum 8 cup French Press?
Simple to use, produces an excellent product and available at Walmart for under $20.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
For 1 cup of coffee: https://www.amazon.com/Melitta...ds=melitta+pour+over

Actually for a single cup, this is even better: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Sin...o-Drip/dp/B01ENK41Q6

Great for camping, everything. i just "fill the top" and get back to making the rest of my breakfast instead of standing there trying not to make a mess with the hot water kettle.

Yeah, no. I used a kettle for good while and tried all the pour over techniques such as pouring a little water to saturate for a bit before pouring the remainder etc etc. Found that just heating 10oz of water in a measuring cup in the microwave for 2minutes 10seconds (sometimes 20), then just pouring into the Melitta pour-over ... was even better. I fill it and come back in a couple of minutes. And fewer moving parts than the OXO. Less cleanup and less storage space with the Melitta. If you need something with a water reservoir, may as well get an electric coffee maker, to keep it simple for ya.

The OP subsequently stated he wasn't interested in single cup brewing. Not sure then why he stated in the OP that he was looking for something for an afternoon cup or two.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Mr. Coffee, in any size. My gripe is about all coffee makers' definition of "cup". I have the Mr. Coffee "12 cup", which provides me 3 cups of coffee. It takes 4 "cups" to fill my 20oz mug, so I guess a "cup" of coffee is 5oz. I always thought a cup was 8oz.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry hobbs, maybe a mug or two.

Mzoe. no I have not. I do not know anything about a french press. I will see if I can look that up on WM website. Thanks guys. If I am going to boil water might as well have something to brew the coffee and keep it hot.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Sorry hobbs, maybe a mug or two.

Mzoe. no I have not. I do not know anything about a french press. I will see if I can look that up on WM website. Thanks guys. If I am going to boil water might as well have something to brew the coffee and keep it hot.

Well, you did ask for coffee pot recommendations, not pour-over recommendations. Absolutely my bad. Sorry.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The setup I bought from Walmart is this one, $27.99:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ven...Grade-Safe/520922984

I also got one of these babies, an electric kettle, $19.96:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham...ric-Kettle/224144476

Just under fiddy before tax.

I got my recipe down as follows:

-4 rounded tablespoons whole coffee, rough ground in the grinder (ground fresh pepper sized)
-boil 0.5 liters of water in the kettle, turn it off once boiling and let it sit for 1 minute (I use the time while it starts to boil to grind the beans, but the water always beats me...). VERY important to let sit for one minute, makes the coffee bitter if you jump the gun on this.
-put ground coffee in bottom of pot, pour 1/2 the hot water in and stir (releases carbon dioxide from the beans or some such crapola, but I find that it does matter...), pour remainder and stir/mix yet again.
-cover the top and set timer for 4 minutes.
-press the coffee and pour off.

Enjoy, you are now a hoity toity coffee snob on the cheap.

You should try it, it's a fast process once you've got it down, and the coffee is much better.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
a $15 bodum french press...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's tough to beat the Melitta drip system for a really good cup of coffee. Presumably you're using good coffee to start with, otherwise it doesn't matter.

Posts: 1 | Location: Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nothing makes a better cup of coffee than the French Press.
It may be a bit more work but it will taste the best bar none - and that includes the pricey Technivorm.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
French press is easy. Been using the same one for years. Full pot is three rounded tablespoons (for me). If you can boil water in a kettle, you can make a good cup of coffee.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
French press is good, well tasty. I have a couple of stainless Bodums taking up cabinet space. Couldn't get past teeth/denture stains and mud in the bottom of the cup. To each his own ... I like a clean cup. I drag the french press out from time to time to remind me why I don't use them anymore.

The smallest Bodum stainless press (about 12oz), I had to order from Europe because it wasn't available in the U.S. market. At least not about ten years ago. May still not be.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
so the local mom and pop had the Melita 52oz pour over for $16.
Brought it home, washed and went for it. Made a little on the weaker side, but not bad.

I generally reheat coffee. I was not like, wow. But it is fine. Time wise with boiling water pretty similar to making the coffee with the Cuisimart. I am not sure how much I will use it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Good deal O.R.C. Stick with it and you'll get it dialed in.

Melitta I use. Mostly the white ceramic one. The plastic ones are now for back up in case I drop the ceramic one LOL. I make one cup/mug at a time.

... and of course I still have a couple of Technivorm Moccamasters. A 10 cup and a 1 cup.

Think between the french press, melitta and moccamaster, I'll get by. I use to have a Moka pot for stovetop espresso. Can't put my hands on it right now.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
so the local mom and pop had the Melita 52oz pour over for $16.
Brought it home, washed and went for it. Made a little on the weaker side, but not bad.

I generally reheat coffee. I was not like, wow. But it is fine. Time wise with boiling water pretty similar to making the coffee with the Cuisimart. I am not sure how much I will use it.

Tips that may help cope with being a little on the weaker side ...
- Have the water really hot but not boiling as you pour. Boiling water may make the coffee bitter. You want it just under boiling.
- Pour enough water to cover the grounds and let steep for about 30 seconds or so to allow the coffee to blossom/bloom. Then pour the remainder of the water slowly in a circular motion around the outside edge of the coffee grounds. You'll have like a little island of coffee in the middle. The slower you pour the water and lower the coffee remains in the filter throughout the process, the stronger the coffee will be.
- Hopefully others will chime in too.

Mostly it's an art but with a short learning curve. You'll just have to make a couple of pots and see what works for you as far as quantity of coffee, temp of water and time it takes to pour and brew.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When I'm looking for just a good solid large mug of coffee I prefer the Clever Coffee Dripper.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/cl...dripperpictorial.php

Otherwise it's a prosumer espresso machine or a Melita Clarity drip.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Aeropress. Like a French press without the grit. Spring for the metal filter instead of small paper ones. Best coffee I can make and travels/camps well too. The best feature is how easy it is to clean.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll toss another vote in for the French Press!
I love mine. Easy for a 1 to 3 cups of good coffee, easy to set up, easy to clean.
$15 to $30 at Target.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post