SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good instant coffee? Try this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good instant coffee? Try this Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted

From Walmart and Amazon:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Caf.../10450735#about-item

https://www.amazon.com/Juan-Va...Coffee/dp/B003LJ95GC

Thought I would pass this along. Been drinking it for almost 5 years, and it truly makes a very good cup of coffee, and not just for an instant. It's freeze-dried, No weird off tastes, very smooth and bold without going harsh, great long lingering aftertaste. Aroma is very good, and consistency from jar-to-jar has been good.

It's made in Columbia, from 100% Colombian beans, by Juan Valdez/Buencafe. A jar does not last long for me, since I use two and a quarter heaping teaspoons, but I gladly pay the price; It's better than about 80% of the coffee I buy, or others make. Try it, I bet you will like it.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, gonna try some as we often run through a pot in the morning since my daughter started drinking it.

Seems to be such a waste to make a second pot!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Welcome, and I hope your recovery is going well.

I think once you find just the right way you like to make this instant, you will really enjoy it... I have not made brewed coffee in years, I like it that much, along with the convenience, and no waste.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I saw that the other day and almost pulled the trigger, but thought exactly what you discovered - that I'd go through it too quickly.

I'm going to get some now. Thank you.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... ordered from Amazon, more out of curiosity as to the flavor, etc ...

Thanks!

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I actually add a scoop of this to my brewed coffee to bump up the caffeine content and maintain flavor.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I got your instant coffee right here:

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post and recommendation. I will pick some up the next time I go to Wally 'world. I drink alot of coffee so it probably won't last long for me either, but that is okay since I don't mind paying for something I like.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Glad others have, and are going to try it. I just made another cup, so I can do a proper evaluation Smile

Just heaping it in the cup, it's rich aroma can be noticed several feet away... Very classic rich Colombian aroma, with a hint of cocoa, not harsh at all, not 'burnt' either. Very much like when you open a good can of coffee, or smell your fresh ground efforts.

Boiling water added, and it nearly dissolves instantly, with no grittiness. Color is very dark, but not at all muddy in appearance (especially on the edges), and a nice little oil sheen is seen on top. Aroma is nice, but not overpowering, and gets better as it sits. First slurp fills your nose with that great aroma, and the sides of your tongue receive a pleasant, astringent bite, with a very rich, long lasting bold finish. I'd call the roast medium. It is very pleasant, with no defects IMO.

It is not bitter at all, mouthfeel is good, not too thin and very smooth. There is plenty of caffeine, and acid content seems very good, as I never receive an upset stomach/heartburn, even at a strength that most would find nuclear. Even minutes after making, it retains a nice aroma, and remains clear and very smooth.

You can really tell the folks who make this take great care, and the results are amazing considering the bad rap (justifyingly so), most instant coffee gets. QC seems very good, as the dozens of jars I have bought over the years, are very consistent, with perhaps some having a bit more cocoa nuance than others. Never received a 'bad' jar.

I have however, received broken jars several times from Walmart.com, that they replaced quickly... Despite telling CS about the terrible packing job they do, they continued to send them without any packing between jars, and the results were predictable. Some jars also had very slight cracks, and the usually super taught, vacuum foil seal, would be lose under the lid. make sure to check any jars over well, even store bought ones. Many times it was out of stock online, and in my local store, but the store near my current location, always has a good supply.

Price has gone up about 25% over the last few years, but the net weight has remained the same. Whew, that was a lot about an instant coffee, but it is one true joy in my life, and if others can enjoy it, so much the better.

BTW, here is their official site:

juanvaldezcafe.com

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SierraFoxtrot10:
Thanks for the post and recommendation. I will pick some up the next time I go to Wally 'world. I drink alot of coffee so it probably won't last long for me either, but that is okay since I don't mind paying for something I like.

Welcome to SigForum!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Couldn't resist, just went to Wallymart and bought some.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Elite Instant Coffee is the best there is IMO.

I discovered it in Israel a few years back and it's all I have been drinking since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a three-pack from Amazon. $13.44 for the trio (Amazon reported only two remaining).

I'm not a coffee snob, so this will probably go well in the office, for when I want a quick cup.

Thanks.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
instant coffee

Heresy

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My memory of the BuenDia! is nothing like you describe. But it sounds like I prefer a darker and heavier coffee than you.

As much as I dislike their normal beans, Starbucks Via Colombian is the best instant I've tried. Buy it at Costco when on sale.

Day to day I mix Nescafé Clasico and Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso Powder. Fast, no waste left in the pot.

Just ordered Elite to try it.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso Powder

Been using this and Elite Platinum. My favorite right now is Ferrara Instant Espresso.

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrara...KPHEM59D29VBB24T3T27

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
This is the best instant coffee by far. Made in Malaysia. Even the coffee snobs I know enjoy it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just went to Wally World and bought a jar of this. Very good stuff for instant. With this stuff Juan Valdez kicked Sanka in the taint!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Sitting here enjoying a cup. I had to get some and did this evening.

Good job, Senor Valdez.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heresy

Yes, it is.

However, my company has one of those grind and dispense contraptions and it is the morning crowds single source for the life dispensing liquid. The resultant concoction is some of the worst tasting coffee ever offered to humans. All requests to just get some standard drip pots with warmers are rebuffed. Somebody is getting a kickback from the rental of that robotic tower of sacrilege. And NO outside appliances are authorized without facility review and approval.

And some mornings you come in and it is displaying a message, "No coffee for you this morning, bitches." Well, it may not say exactly that; it may be more like, "Requires Service", but it may as well taunt us as we lurch away, dragging our knuckles like apes.

I keep a jar of instant coffee in my desk drawer as part of the company safety program.

Because if I don't get my 2 cups in the morning, lives are at risk.