SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Company was reorg'd and my job was eliminated...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Company was reorg'd and my job was eliminated... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Well that sucks. Never been let go before, 12 years in the railroad industry and have always weathered downturns due to my performance. This time it was more about wrong place/wrong time. A little over a year ago I left my position with a Class I railroad for what was supposed to be a better atmosphere at a short-line. Turns out that was far from the truth. While I wasn't happy recently I would have liked to leave on my own terms.

It may end of being a blessing in disguise as the 4am alarm clock and being awoken at all hours due to emergencies were getting old. Same goes for the missing out on time with the kids due to demands.

Severance and insurance as part of the package so I can't be too mad, but it just sucks to be starting over. Plus having three young kids at home is going to stress me no matter what I do.

I plan to go in and sign my severance paperwork tomorrow morning, go meet my dad for lunch and spend the afternoon with him. Then start on the job search on Thursday.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Sucks to hear this.

Prayer sent to help guide you to the open door you’re meant to find.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep your head up man. Things will work out.

I was in the same position about 18 months ago (different industry).

It sucked and was a big disruption but we've made it through.

Good luck -- don't do anything drastic. Smile

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the perfect position lands in your lap after you've had time to decide what that would look like.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow
Sorry to hear this
At least you were given a severance package and insurance so that will tide you over for at least a couple of weeks while you catch up on some sleep and search for a job.

Bright side is that you get to have a nice lunch with your father and a conversation starter.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
At least the economy is great right now.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I remember when you moved, you were so excited about the new opportunity with a smaller line.

Please come join us in Florida, we'd love to have you.

Florida East Coast Line is growing.

https://careers-fecrwy.icims.c...ch?pr=0&schemaId=&o=

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good luck and I hope you make the most of the opportunity.

Posts: 1955 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers that you can't decide which opportunity is best!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good luck, I’m going through something similar, but at least I have a chance at another position, once they put it out there. Seems to be a trend lately.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check into the Lake Superior & Ishpeming RR. They may need qualified guys.
Several other rail lines are active in the Upper Peninsula, too.
And you may need to buy a parka! Good luck in your search.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I hope you bounce back soon.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
keep a positive attitude. There are very few people these days that stay in a job until it's convenient for them to leave. Most are forced out due to things changing in the industry they are in and their particular situation in the company. Many times it has little to do with job performance which sounds like your situation.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sorry Amigo, it sucks. Be positive & as life does go on.

Posts: 13788 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dang...sorry to hear that. Chin up!

Just had an idea Sig...if you're not opposed to driving to Dallas Love or DFW, what do you think about applying for a job with Southwest, American, United, or any other carrier at those airports? Since you've been in the public transportation sector, maybe there's something at the airline level that would fit your skills?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11016 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
That sux. I am POSITIVE you will land on your on your feet.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that my friend. Was in a similar situation 20 years ago with two young children. It’ll work out for the better is my prediction. Good luck - keep that positive attitude.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frown Try to keep a positive attitude. You will come across much better in interviews.

Posts: 7511 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't say sorry because I'm confident you'll land a better job and get to spend some quality time with your kids in the meantime. This could be a great turn of events, good luck!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Getting the rug yanked out from under you always sucks. Hope you find something better.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post