SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you guys like for brake pads. Toyota Corolla Matrix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys like for brake pads. Toyota Corolla Matrix Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Time for new front pads. Looking for longevity mostly. Never sure what to buy.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The top pads from any auto parts store are great for a DD. I use Advance Auto Gold pads. Main thing is longevity, low dust and noise.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I haven't replaced mine on my 2012 Camry yet, but with 75K on them now I think I'll be getting them from Toyota.

With my pickup I've had 3 sets of pads on them, none have lasted as long as the original equipment, so when I need to do that one again, I know what I'll get.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I recall having great luck with Akebono pads. Got them from Amazon for my kids 03 Camry. Have used Monroe with good results, and about every top end house brand for all or my rides. Gotta say in this case, OE Toyota are very good in my experience, and not a lot more $ either.

Real kicker is finding anyone to turn the rotors. Sure was nice when I worked in various shops, to have a brake lathe, but seems that is gone with the Dinosaurs; everything now it seems, is replace with new Chinese made parts.

Not sure what year you have (4WD?), but I have a Matrix as well, and they sure can haul a lot of crap... Fold flat front passenger seat is neat as hell, as is the separate opening hatch glass. Pretty gutless, even with the manual trans model I have, but it always gets me from A-to-B.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I just bought DuraLast Gold from Auto Zone for the Yukon we own. $50 a pair, ceramic. I normally would take my time and look at my options but the diesel shop where my wife works is replacing them today as they are slow. They looked at her rotors and can turn them down. It's free, so I ran out last night and bought them so they could be installed today.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
I recall having great luck with Akebono pads. Got them from Amazon for my kids 03 Camry. Have used Monroe with good results, and about every top end house brand for all or my rides. Gotta say in this case, OE Toyota are very good in my experience, and not a lot more $ either.

Real kicker is finding anyone to turn the rotors. Sure was nice when I worked in various shops, to have a brake lathe, but seems that is gone with the Dinosaurs; everything now it seems, is replace with new Chinese made parts.

Not sure what year you have (4WD?), but I have a Matrix as well, and they sure can haul a lot of crap... Fold flat front passenger seat is neat as hell, as is the separate opening hatch glass. Pretty gutless, even with the manual trans model I have, but it always gets me from A-to-B.

For a car like mine it's cheaper to buy new rotors than to have them turned. I put over 100k miles on my first rotors without turning them and no issues. On my second set now. The matrix is great little car for hauling shit. Once at Home Depot someone was laughing as I pulled a cart with 2 seven foot garage doors to my hatch. They stopped laughing when I slid them in over the front passenger seat and shut the door.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Akebono original equipment pads seem to be good.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Put the Akebono from RockAuto on my ES300 a year and a half ago and they are very good.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
have gone with Carquest Wearever Platinums from advance on two recent brake jobs and would use them again. Good stuff.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I put Duralast Gold pads from Autozone on my sons Civic. They come with a lifetime warranty so I turned the old pads in and got the new pads free. Made my day

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I put Duralast Gold pads from Autozone on my sons Civic. They come with a lifetime warranty so I turned the old pads in and got the new pads free. Made my day

My last few sets were duralast from Autozone. The warranty says lifetime material and construction but not normal wear. I never thought to bring it them back if they wear out. Of course if I remove them I won't be able to drive to the store to return them.

These go to eleven.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic. Low dusting, long wearing, and they run specials on them all the time. When I did the brakes on my truck, I bought the front pads and got the rears for free.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by greco:

My last few sets were duralast from Autozone. The warranty says lifetime material and construction but not normal wear. I never thought to bring it them back if they wear out. Of course if I remove them I won't be able to drive to the store to return them.

I knew someone that did this. They bought the new ones and returned the old ones and the amount was credited back.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Got Uber or Lyft in your area Big Grin

quote:
Of course if I remove them I won't be able to drive to the store to return them.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a general purpose daily driver vehicle, I like the Wagner ThermoQuiet as well. You always want ceramic friction material. They will not have the frictional coefficient of a comparable semi metallic or organic pad but they are quiet, and do not dust as badly as other materials. These usually run around $50 for the fronts and if you shop well can usually get them with a lifetime replacement warranty.

If however you have some sort of specialized usage however, the rules change as well as the prices. Front pads for my track Miata run $200 per axle. They squeal badly when cold but will put you through the windshield once they are at operating temperature. And they wear out quickly.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I haven't replaced mine on my 2012 Camry yet, but with 75K on them now I think I'll be getting them from Toyota.

Really???? We have a 2012 camry also. Had to put new tires and brakes and rotors all the way around at 35k.

The tires were junk from the beginning. Started having issues with them at 20k, but stretched it to 35k before putting new ones on.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Got Uber or Lyft in your area Big Grin

quote:
Of course if I remove them I won't be able to drive to the store to return them.

Well I'll tell ya, Uber has no problem bringing me to the bar. But at 2 AM when I need a ride home they are unreliable. Big Grin

Anyhow, thanks for the tips guys. I ended up buying the Wagner just because they were a bit less pricey than the Akebono and they will be here Saturday morning so I can have my son learn to do the brakes during his weekend with me. Smile Akebono will be on my list for next time.

These go to eleven.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Really???? We have a 2012 camry also. Had to put new tires and brakes and rotors all the way around at 35k.

The tires were junk from the beginning. Started having issues with them at 20k, but stretched it to 35k before putting new ones on.

Yes, really - I've got an SE with the V6. I replaced the original tires at 30K (dealer missed an alignment issue so they wore prematurely) and will need to replace the second set soon. I rotate my tires myself every 5K to 7K and have been monitoring the pads - there was still a fair amount of life left in them the last time I looked.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Akeebono are OEM for many Asian brands , great pads.

Wearever Platinum are the best store brand pads I have ever used. Quiet, long lasting, and low dust. Use the 35 to 40 percent off coupons online at advance and they are even more affordable.

Wagner pads are just terrible in my experience.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post