SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you know that FDR narrowly escaped an assassination attempt on this date in 1933? Assassin was tried & executed within weeks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know that FDR narrowly escaped an assassination attempt on this date in 1933? Assassin was tried & executed within weeks Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't think executions deter murderers. Maybe there are other reasons to execute murderers, but I don't think they deter.
Repeat offenders are pretty rare.

Big Grin Thanks. Saved me the trouble.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
jhe888, as usual, presents a very cogent argument vis 'a vis execution as a deterrent. In that narrow sense, I agree with him.

My question is this: What, exactly, do we gain by housing these dirtbags for decades and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
One disquieting development has been the discovery and popularity of scientific means to show who is a perp and who is innocent, DNA, and the number of those who have been released from death row or prison having been shown to be wholly innocent...

This was key when Illinois Gov George Ryan suspended executions here in 1980 -- quite a number of those convicted and sentenced to death were innocent of the crime they were convicted of. With Illinois' reputation of corrupt government including the courts and trials, Ryan, a Republican, did the right thing. Ironically, he ended up in prison himself for his own past activities, and credit for ending the death penalty ultimately went to his successor, Quinn, a liberal Democrat.

In cases like Zangara, though, there never was any doubt of his guilt, and his execution was the right thing to do.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think executions deter murderers.

It does prevent repeat offenders.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Then we spend millions doing stupid shit like spending shit-tons of money on transplants, etc so we can then kill them later!

Our legal system is so screwed up that it provides little incentive NOT to violate the laws.

Don't forget the sex change operations on the taxpayer's dime.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
This argument - that execution doesn't deter others - is a smoke-screen as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if executions deter others or not. What I care about is justice. If someone commits a premeditated murder, the just punishment is death. Period.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

My question is this: What, exactly, do we gain by housing these dirtbags for decades and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it?

From a strictly economic standpoint, numerous studies have found that it is far less expensive to house an inmate for life as opposed to executing him.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
From a strictly economic standpoint, numerous studies have found that it is far less expensive to house an inmate for life as opposed to executing him.

Ya... well, let's think about that for a minute.
It costs what? About 60K a year to house an inmate? Multiply by 20 years or more? You are talking about at least $1 million, or more, right?
And a rope costs what? A buck? I'll donate it.

Of course, you will counter that his appeals take 20 years and that's expensive, right? Well, I think the original post in this thread demonstrates that it doesn't have to take so long.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no question that it doesn't have to take so long, however, the reality is that is does.

If it could be said with certainty that there was no need for it to take decades, that every convict sentenced to death was indeed guilty and unquestionably deserving of the penalty assessed, then perhaps the time between conviction and execution could be shortened.

However, given the number of death row inmates exonerated and released from prison based on DNA and other evidence over recent years, that seems unlikely.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

These "studies" fail to emphasize that a great part of the cost of carrying out a death sentence can be ascribed to laws that grant automatic appeals to those who have received one. The Government often has to pay for both sides of these expensive high court appeals, as the convicts rarely have the wherewithal to pay their share.

One might argue that "swift justice" most informs those who would be deterred, rather than the ultimate outcome. If a convicted murderer can expect decades of appeals, whatever deterrence a death sentence might hold is at least mitigated.

This is really about the balance between the rights of the accused versus the rights of the public. Perhaps because the latter garners less of a sympathetic reaction, it appears to me to be skewed from what most people would feel is appropriate.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I think executions should be by hanging, in the public square. Every young male should attend one.
Then... it might just stick in the mind.

This has been tried and didn't work. The British and others used to have well publicized public executions, many of them quite gruesome, for a wide variety of crimes including even for pickpocketing. Typically, the crowd watching the execution suffered from several pickpockets among them. So much for deterence.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

These "studies" fail to emphasize that a great part of the cost of carrying out a death sentence can be ascribed to laws that grant automatic appeals to those who have received one. The Government often has to pay for both sides of these expensive high court appeals, as the convicts rarely have the wherewithal to pay their share.

One might argue that "swift justice" most informs those who would be deterred, rather than the ultimate outcome. If a convicted murderer can expect decades of appeals, whatever deterrence a death sentence might hold is at least mitigated.

This is really about the balance between the rights of the accused versus the rights of the public. Perhaps because the latter garners less of a sympathetic reaction, it appears to me to be skewed from what most people would feel is appropriate.

I was not commenting on the propriety of the current system but merely pointing out the reality of the situation as it currently exists which is that it is far cheaper to house inmates for life than it is to impose and carry out a death sentence.