SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you know that FDR narrowly escaped an assassination attempt on this date in 1933? Assassin was tried & executed within weeks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know that FDR narrowly escaped an assassination attempt on this date in 1933? Assassin was tried & executed within weeks Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I don't remember hearing of this assassination attempt. The part that stood out to me is that the killer was tried twice and executed within a matter of a few weeks. That's the kind of justice we need to return to today. There was no question that this guy was guilty, so no need for endless delays, motions and other nonsense.

http://www.history.com/this-da...sassination-in-miami

FDR escapes assassination in Miami

On this day in 1933, a deranged, unemployed brick layer named Giuseppe Zangara shouts Too many people are starving! and fires a gun at America’s president-elect, Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Roosevelt had just delivered a speech in Miami’s Bayfront Park from the back seat of his open touring car when Zangara opened fire with six rounds. Five people were hit. The president escaped injury but the mayor of Chicago, Anton Cermak, who was also in attendance, received a mortal stomach wound in the attack.

Several men tackled the assailant and might have beaten him to death if Roosevelt had not intervened, telling the crowd to leave justice to the authorities. Zangara later claimed I don’t hate Mr. Roosevelt personallyI hate all officials and anyone who is rich. He also told the FBI that chronic stomach pain led to his action: Since my stomach hurt I want to make even with the capitalists by kill the president. My stomach hurt long time [sic].

Zangara’s extreme action reflected the anger and frustration felt among many working Americans during the Great Depression. At the time of the shooting, Roosevelt was still only the president-elect and had yet to be sworn in. His policies remained untested, but reports of Roosevelt’s composure during the assassination attempt filled the following day’s newspapers and did much to enforce Roosevelt’s public image as a strong leader.

Unsubstantiated reports later claimed that Zangara’s real target had been Cermak and hinted at Zangara’s connection to organized crime in Chicago. Zangara was initially tried for attempted murder and sentenced to 80 years in prison, but when Mayor Cermak later died of his wounds, Zangara was retried and sentenced to death. Zangara died on the electric chair on March 20, 1933. (I corrected the date from the original History.com post. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Zangara)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, and there have been alternate history novels written where FDR WAS assassinated that day which changed many things. IIRC, The Man In The High Castle was one of them which portrays life after we enter WWII too late because of a pacifist POTUS and we end up losing.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Now that is what I call prompt/speedy justice!

Shot on this day in '33, executed March 20, '33.

We need a helluva lot more of that!

What is the average length of time those sentenced to death in this country? A couple decades? Then we spend millions doing stupid shit like spending shit-tons of money on transplants, etc so we can then kill them later!

Our legal system is so screwed up that it provides little incentive NOT to violate the laws.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

What is the average length of time those sentenced to death in this country? A couple decades? Then we spend millions doing stupid shit like spending shit-tons of money on transplants, etc so we can then kill them later!

Our legal system is so screwed up that it provides little incentive NOT to violate the laws.

It didn't appear to stop murders, though - executing him in six weeks. Even political murders. Kennedy, Kennedy, King, an attempt on Wallace, attempt on Ford, attempt on Reagan. And how many other murders?

I don't think executions deter murderers. Maybe there are other reasons to execute murderers, but I don't think they deter. Murderers don't generally draw up charts of pluses and minuses, and make rational decisions about murdering.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't think executions deter murderers. Maybe there are other reasons to execute murderers, but I don't think they deter.
Repeat offenders are pretty rare.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Heck, that was enough time for two trials, back in the day....
quote:
when Mayor Cermak later died of his wounds, Zangara was retried and sentenced to death.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
It didn't appear to stop murders, though - executing him in six weeks. Even political murders. Kennedy, Kennedy, King, an attempt on Wallace, attempt on Ford, attempt on Reagan. And how many other murders?

I don't think executions deter murderers. Maybe there are other reasons to execute murderers, but I don't think they deter. Murderers don't generally draw up charts of pluses and minuses, and make rational decisions about murdering.

Yeah, I don't know about the deterrent effects, whether it has been actually studied or not, but in cases like this it should be swift.

Like the shooting yesterday - they caught the guy in the act, there is no need for extended proceedings. Trial next week, execution the following week - no need to house the guy for decades, he needs to be permanently removed from society.

In cases built on circumstantial evidence I can see withholding the ultimate punishment, but if you have DNA, video or the person is literally caught in the act - I'm OK with the death penalty - applied quickly.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think executions deter murderers. Maybe there are other reasons to execute murderers, but I don't think they deter.

I've never heard of a murderer who committed murder after his execution.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They didn’t catch the guy in the act. He was arrested walking down the street, ~ a mile away, according to the cop who arrested him.

Death penalty doesn’t deter those who murder, but it may deter many who don’t. Maybe they are just procrastinators who never get around to it or something.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

That is specific deterrence, and you are right. However, specific deterrence could be accomplished with a real life sentence.

Most people who want speedy executions are talking about general deterrence, or the deterrence of others. I don't think executions achieve much general deterrence.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think executions deter murderers.
I gave a joking reply above, but now that I think about it, I don't know how you could possibly support your hypothesis.

We have absolutely no idea, none whatsoever, about how many people have NOT committed murder because they don't want to face the possibility the ultimate penalty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is specific deterrence, and you are right. However, specific deterrence could be accomplished with a real life sentence.

Most people who want speedy executions are talking about general deterrence, or the deterrence of others. I don't think executions achieve much general deterrence.

It's probably mixed. Certainly, it doesn't deter crimes of passion.
I think executions should be by hanging, in the public square. Every young male should attend one.
Then... it might just stick in the mind.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it would be interesting to find out how many on death row die of old age...

I don't give a crap about it being a deterrent

I do care about it being a punishment - and if its imposed it should be carried out within a reasonable time - 30 days is more than enough of a wait

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is really no way to quantify that beyond opinion. We will never know how many people didn't do something as a result of fearing the consequences.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave a joking reply above, but now that I think about it, I don't know how you could possibly support your hypothesis.

We have absolutely no idea, none whatsoever, about how many people have NOT committed murder because they don't want to face the possibility the ultimate penalty.

And neither can supporters of execution offer any evidence that speedy executions achieve any general deterrence. (Not specific deterrence, to be sure.)

It would be very difficult to study the negative, wouldn't it?

However, murder rates continue to fall in the U.S. (which is a fact, even though there is a general belief that it is the opposite and that modern life is more dangerous), despite the fact that we execute fewer people than we did formerly.

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
In 1960, “The Untouchables” TV series had a 2-part episode called “The Unhired Assassin” in which this event was portrayed.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
murder rates continue to fall in the U.S. (which is a fact, even though there is a general belief that it is the opposite and that modern life is more dangerous), despite the fact that we execute fewer people than we did formerly.
It could be argued that we have executed those who were not deterred and murder rates are falling because those who are left (not executed) are the ones who were deterred.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
murder rates continue to fall in the U.S. (which is a fact, even though there is a general belief that it is the opposite and that modern life is more dangerous), despite the fact that we execute fewer people than we did formerly.
It could be argued that we have executed those who were not deterred and murder rates are falling because those who are left (not executed) are the ones who were deterred.

But murder rates have fallen quite noticeably in the recent years, when we have executed fewer people. And we have had time to raise a new crop of potential murderers, who were not alive to see a time when there were more executions. Remember that murders are generally committed by young people.

I think whatever side you are on here, you have to concede that reliable, objective evidence will be hard to find.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One disquieting development has been the discovery and popularity of scientific means to show who is a perp and who is innocent, DNA, and the number of those who have been released from death row or prison having been shown to be wholly innocent.

I doubt these are 100% foolproof and always reliable but they are such an improvement over what was available to use before.

BTW, I did know about the attempted assassination, having heard of it in an episode of The Untouchables on TV, probably in the early 60’s, and read in several accounts since.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I dont care if its a deterrent. Its a punishment that fits the crime.

The availability of DNA technology etc is IMO an argument in favor of having the death penalty AVAILABLE as punishment for certain crimes. Including but not limited to murder.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post