SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Philly: The Inmates Are Running The Asylum - Safe Injection Sites For Heroin Users
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philly: The Inmates Are Running The Asylum - Safe Injection Sites For Heroin Users Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
These Dems that have been running Philly for 70 years now are totally running amok now. They will tax your goddamn soda at 1.5 cents per ounce then want to take city taxpayer money to set up these so-called "safe injection sites" where, I'm NOT SHITTING YOU, they want to have city-funded sites with city-funded personnel HELP heroin addicts get their fix! WTF!

Philadelphia aims to be first US city to host safe injection sites

I hope they go ahead with this insanity and I hope the DEA shuts them down so fast, their heads spin! Mad

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They want to try it in Seattle and Tacoma also. The argument is that if the government is controlling the supply of heroin and its administration, we'll kill off less junkies because the opioid epidemic is a tragedy. Control the supply, and you can control the addiction and manage these people back to happy, healthy, productive lives.

But having seen what I've seen, I believe junkies will simply shoot up what they can find, where they can find it, and when they want to get a good buzz to finish out the day in a cot in a warm building, they'll head to the "safe injection site."

Oh, and housing. Don't forget housing. They'll need somewhere to stay, and that argument follows right on the heels of the "safe injection site" argument, so look for that.

If you want to experience some mind-warping spin, listen to a "safe injection site" advocate talk about crime in the areas it's been tried.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
What is so surprising about this? It is, after all "philly".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They've been doing shit like this for years. It started when the states began providing clean needles to drug addicts to slow the spread of HIV.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Oh, so shooting up with heroin can be safe?

I was soooo wrong about that! Roll Eyes

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'd rather give junkie a safe place to inject themselves with illegal narcotics, if only to ensure the hypodermics they use get dispose of properly and not scattered around children's playgrounds.

That and police can track the abuser when they leave, find their dealer, and arrest both.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
That and police can track the abuser when they leave, find their dealer, and arrest both.

I can pretty much guarantee that that won't happen.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I'd rather give junkie a safe place to inject themselves with illegal narcotics, if only to ensure the hypodermics they use get dispose of properly and not scattered around children's playgrounds.

You're more optimistic than I. There won't be children playing at the safe injection site, but I *highly* doubt that junkies that use the safe sites will completely stop shooting up in other places and leaving needles everywhere.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I like the idea. Just make sure to pump them full with as much of this crap as they want and forget about calling 911 when they OD. The problem will eventually solve itself.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I like the idea. Just make sure to pump them full with as much of this crap as they want and forget about calling 911 when they OD. The problem will eventually solve itself.

Given the recent threads we’ve had on addiction and it’s effects on our members and their families, I can’t share your glib assessment.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:

Given the recent threads we’ve had on addiction and it’s effects on our members and their families, I can’t share your glib assessment.

So what do you propose? Where does it end?
Perhaps we will buy the drugs, give them a safe place to shoot up (with help to do safely of course). Them provide medical care for them so they can continue to do it over and over again.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's heroin it's not supposed to be safe.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
I just started reading "Homeland Seige-Tactics for Police and Military" by H. John Poole. The author's case is that the PRC is waging 4th Generation Warfare against the USA and is behind the all the drug smuggling to work to undermine the nation.

I don't know if I buy that or not, but the prevalance of drug use and the liberals acceptance of it, and the way this country has been changed from the one I grew up in is genuine. Whether it's the Chinese or the cartels behind it, we've become weakened and just plain willing to put up with any form of bullshit "progress".

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps we will buy the drugs, give them a safe place to shoot up (with help to do safely of course). Them provide medical care for them so they can continue to do it over and over again.

Nailed it!

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
quote:
quote:

Nailed it!

If you subsidize a behavior, you will get more of it. And you will have to pay for the additional self serving bureaucracy.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I actually waded waist-deep into this argument with a coworker a few months ago, unknowingly. Us, the only two Trump supporters in the company; he, a self-avowed redneck, so I thought we were on the same page.

Nope. He got visibly upset with me over my being happy to sign the petition to ban "safe injection sites" in King County and telling him how he could find the Pierce County to sign before informing me that he had a half brother who died of overdose and another brother who has been in and out of Skagit County correctional facilities all his life, surviving multiple overdoses. He's a good friend, I would do a lot for him, but as much as we agree on everything, we had to differ on this because he watched opioid addiction rip his family apart, and wishes that a safe place to shoot up had been available to the one brother who died of OD.

I agreed with him that it was awful and I appreciated his candor, but told him that I couldn't agree that safe injection sites were the answer, and that his brother's problems that led him to shooting up and an early grave weren't something that would be solved by simply having someone hand him a full syringe of heroin while he lay on a cot in a room full of addicts doing the same. He agreed his brother might be alive, but no better off. We agreed not to talk about it anymore. He was too close to the personal loss side of it and I too close to the side who it costs. We respected each other's opinions but agreed to disagree.

One thing isn't up for debate, and that's how polarizing the issue is. I've had my car prowled multiple times, had my car pissed on by a junkie while a coworker filmed it to show me later, (hey, is ____ your car?), stepped in shit multiple times, nearly stepped in shit many more times than that, seen waste of all sorts being passed by addicts and even made eye contact with them while they did it, been screamed at hysterically by someone having a bad trip on the sidewalk more than once, played hop-scotch with discarded orange syringe caps and busted crack pipes... I could go on. But you know what? If it was a blood relative, I might be wanting to say those people need help. The sad truth is that none of them seemed to want help, in any way other than money. I guess if that was my blood acting that way, I wouldn't want to say what I have about them. And that wouldn't be doing them any favors, either.

I don't know what the answer is, for the addicts, for society, for any of us. But what I truly believe is that the answer is *not* to simply give them government heroin and a warm, cozy place to shoot up under supervision.

If we're going to try to attempt to control the supply to the junkie and oversee the use of the drug by the junkie, then we need to be in complete control of the junkie, and not let simply let them roam the streets so that they're doing everything but dying in the streets. If you want to sell the benefit to society, well, for everything I have seen that makes me not care for them, what I haven't yet seen is a dead junkie. So if you want to just give them a nice cozy place to continue being ruined human beings, that helps nobody. That's not how you get people better, it's how you keep people enslaved.

Safe injection sites, I could be all for, but only if they exist outside of society, behind walls and barbed wire, where they wean these people off the shit and get them treatment. Don't pass the treatment? Stay and be sober, but stay all the same.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't think my 'glib' comment is as ridiculous as the asinine behavior of these nitwit progressives in Philly. By doing what they are proposing, they are openly and with intent, aiding in the killing of people. Its really that simple. They're recommending an environment where people can use and OD with safeties in place to try and bring them back so they can start the process all over again. This is simply insane.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When medicinal cocaine becomes available, legally, I might want some. Purely for relief from distress I suffer along my gum line, the back molars, you understand. No, I do not like the way it smells, and will have no part in drug abuse.

Heroin? Maybe not ... Hey, with all the fentanyl-laced heroin going around, what is the city's liability if they provide the place and the needles when one of the recipients of their program ODs?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
In Vancouver, BC the entire neighborhood around the legal injection site is ruined. Perhaps it was before. I can see the point of letting addicts shoot up under supervision and giving them clean needles (to prevent AIDS from spreading, which is a huge expense to society) but I just do not think it will work. Addicts are notoriously unreliable, and they have no idea what they will do one hour to the next. Legal injection sites will ruin the general area where they are located. Just take a walk through that area in Vancouver some time. Or Google it.
http://vancouversun.com/uncate...he-downtown-eastside

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
In Vancouver, BC the entire neighborhood around the legal injection site is ruined...

Shocker, who would have guessed it?

I was always led to believe that enabling people’s poor behavior was bad.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post