SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to 4Runner?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to 4Runner? Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
My dad's Tacoma was a 2003, with ~65k miles on it and he traded it in last year at the dealership for around $13k; he said they were frothing at the mouth to get it, too, and had it stickered and on the lot before he drove off in his new Ford F150.

Toyota's just seem to hold their value higher over other cars. I looked up 4runners, Rav4's, and others when we were looking for a second car (ended up with a Rav) and I was looking at Sienna's the other day, and they're all higher value over comparable models of other makes.

Interesting...I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 I am getting ready to sell/trade that has <50k on it.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orionS14:

I like.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If you like Toyota, get an FJ Cruiser. It's like a 4Runner, only cool. Seriously though, I have had it for 6 years & 130K miles. It has been an awesome vehicle. Like it so much better than the Xterra it replaced. I am praying that by the time I need a replacement, it will be reintroduced.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
If you like Toyota, get an FJ Cruiser. It's like a 4Runner, only cool. Seriously though, I have had it for 6 years & 130K miles. It has been an awesome vehicle. Like it so much better than the Xterra it replaced. I am praying that by the time I need a replacement, it will be reintroduced.

I was thinking about getting an FJ Cruiser and started doing a bit of research. Talk about low depreciation. The used ones are selling for at least as much as they sold for new.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Alternative to 4runner? Roadrunner!

(Posting while drinking)

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nissan Xterra Pro-4x.

All of the off road goodies, plenty of them available at way more reasonable prices.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
The Land Cruiser or Lexus are both good machines but I suspect will be far out of your price ranges.

Sigh. Yes. A little quick research and sounds like I would prefer the gen 2 2010+ model over the < 2009 models. Which seems like it puts me in the $30k ballpark. At that point, I'm back to buying a new SR5/TRDOR.

It's really difficult to stay in the <$20k (target $15k) range for a decent used vehicle. I really would like to not buy a new one but that may be the only option.

Hopefully Labor Day trade-in's may yield something.

I would research some more.
I think you will find that the 100 series is a more formidable off road vehicle. Especially when one gets into modifying them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I would research some more.
I think you will find that the 100 series is a more formidable off road vehicle. Especially when one gets into modifying them.

Even more formidable is the 80 series, still with a solid front axle. At least for serious off road use. If you just want occasional off road use, then the later models will suffice.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What's 100 Series and 80 Series?

Yea, still researching the GX but the 460 had some frills that were attractive. I'm probably not going to be doing any serious off-roading like you guys. Especially anything that will require expensive mods. I probably have neither the budget nor the courage to do the things the vehicle is capable of doing (at least what I see on YT). Smile

I found a lead on a 2004 Sport at a reasonable price. I'm trying to figure out how to check it out so that I can make sure it's worth buying. It's far away from me so I can't bring it to my usual mechanic to check it out.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
80 Series = 1990-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470
100 Series = 1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470
200 Series = 2008-present Toyota Land Cruiser and Alexus LX560

Do some reading over at www.ih8mud.com

The 100 series was really the last purpose built off road beast (available in the US). The 200 is still crazy off road capable it just did a bit of a morph to the super soccer mom's fancy big SUV as only the true top end models are brought over.
The 80 series is quite capable as well it just has far fewer creature comforts.

The 100 series will allow you to off road anything you have described wanting to do (unmodified) and still be a fantastic daily driver for years to come under 20k. Yet, the modifications are very prevelant when the off roaring bug does kick in and you are wanting to do more. If you choose a model with AHC (automatic height control) you will likely want to dump it for the nonAHC which is fairly simple and inexpensive to do.

The 200 series has some aftermarket goings on but not near the 100.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
100 Series = 1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470

Thanks. Is this related to why T4R (gen 4?) is referred to as 120? I was wondering what 120 meant. Seems somewhat consistent. No idea what the numbers mean though.

Okay, I found brochures for the GX470. I'll read up on the 2006 I'm looking at. I've been reading things on the T4R website; I'll look at ih8mud.

Too much to learn actually - too much info in too short of time. I'm starting to jumble info and get confused.

Oh wait. Should I be looking at Lexus LX? Not GX? I'm not sure what the diff is between LX and GX yet. But I've been searching for GX (looking at a few 2006 and 2008/2009).

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
LX= Land Cruiser
GX= 4Runner

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ah. Ok.

So, I've been looking at 4Runner. As an alternative, you guys are suggesting that I look at 100 Series 1998-2007 LX470?

I see a 2001 and 2002 w/ low mileage for about $20k (price for a 2009-10 4Runner with similar miles).

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Unfortunately, to date, no 4Runner within 500 miles meets my criteria for function, age/mileage and price. This is a difficult beast to find. I seen private party offerings, been to numerous dealers and been scanning websites. Nada.

Been looking for:
1) Trail and then either Limited, Sport or SR5.
2) Less than 125K miles
3) Ballpark price of $12k (2008), $14k (2009) to $23k (2013)

I think I have two more real shots coming up: trade-ins for Labor Day sales and/or when 2018 models arrive.

Other than that, I think I'm going to need to consider alternatives.

You are making this harder than it needs to be. You did a decent amount of research to determine the right vehicle for your needs, including lots of input from knowledgeable forum members, but you didn’t set a reasonable budget for that vehicle.

A 2008 4Runner Limited V8 in great condition for $12k? Not realistic unless you just get lucky and steal it. And if you are looking for a steal it’s going to take a lot longer. It seems like you just decided on 4Runners a few days ago and now you are already giving up since you can’t find one for what I would consider an unreasonable price. How exactly did you set those prices? If you are able to spend $23k on a 2013 why wouldn’t you be willing to spend $17k-18k on a pristine 2008 if it’s exactly what you need?

My very well maintained 2007 Limited V8 just turned 100k miles this weekend and I would laugh in their face if somebody thought I would let it go for anywhere near $12k. These are one of the most reliable mid-sized SUVs you can buy with real 4WD capabilities. The well maintained ones hold their value quite well because a sub 100k mile 4Runner still has lots of life left in it.

Within 500 miles of me Autotrader has seven 2006-2008 V8 4Runners with less than 100k miles, including some Sport, SR5, and Limited models. The low end is around $15k and the newer Limited’s are $17k-$19k with ~85k miles. Broaden that search to include V6 models and now I have 50 to choose from so there are many more options, but the clean looking ones with good miles aren’t significantly cheaper.

So my advice, if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while spend some more time learning about them, expand your budget, expand your search radius, look at lots of them in person, and be a little more patient finding the right one. If you aren’t willing to walk into a dealership and plop down the cash for a brand new one then finding the right used one is going to take longer than a week. Once you look at several of them it will become more apparent which ones were well maintained and which ones were not.

I have no idea what your location is, but to get one this clean (assuming it all checks out of course) it will probably take a road trip. Heading out of town a few times to get just the right car is a lot of fun and always worth it, I have done it a bunch of times. Cool

https://www.autotrader.com/car...YOTA&modelCode1=4RUN

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also agree with what Brett B said. Folks that buy a 4Runner in the first place have done a lot of research before buying, as have you, and know what the things can do and their value. They are not likely to let one go at a bargain basement price unless there is a time bomb ticking inside that is hard for the average guy to see. I personally would be extremely concerned about a "cheap" 4Runner being offered up for sale. If it's too good to be true....
You have chosen a great vehicle to go after for many of the right reasons but you need to reset some of your goals regarding the purchase. Right now is an ideal time to buy new since the dealers and consumers now know there will be few if any changes to the new model year 4Runner as the 2018 brochures have been distributed. Dealers may be willing to clear the decks so to speak of new inventory but it will not change the pricing of used. That was the position I was in when I bought my 2015, all the certified ones available were almost at the same price point as new so paying an extra $2000 vs a used vehicle made a lot of sense to me. As I said, you have made a good choice regarding the vehicle you want but look at what you are willing to spend to get into one. Hope to hear that you found a 4Runner that fits into your plans.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yes, I probably do need to reset my budget expectations.

The basis of my current budget is based on age and mileage, assuming condition is 'very good' - KBB and estimated initial invoice was as influence on the baseline valuation. But I also reconciled against personal experiences to reach a 'real valuation' which consists of what I expect the effective life of the vehicle to be: something in the ballpark of 250k and 30 years. So,based on my needs, I need something about 2004-2006+ and less than 130-150k miles. The budget is based on SR5 4WD and I'd make allowances for Limited or Trail.

My hesitation with the local offerings (w/in 500 miles) are:
1) very high mileage (150k+)
2) very high valuation (more that 120% of my perceived calculated real value)
3) shady dealership with spotty reputation
4) aftermarket mods (which I have no idea how to assess)
5) suspect condition (for example, if it has no name Chinese made tires, I'm going to suspect the overall condition of the vehicle)
6) I rule out anything > $25k -- I'd seriously consider biting the bullet and buying a new TRD OR for $36k.

All of the above is pretty common around here. That being said, I agree I need to reassess my valuation vs market value. My problem is that I'm not as good as you guys in determining the actual condition of a vehicle. I can look for obvious frame damage. I can test drive. But I have no idea if the suspension will need work. Or if the differentials are healthy. Or other costly potential repairs.

Also, I've done quite a bit of driving -- the vehicles I found on cars dot com are generally not available. There is a lag between real inventory and what's on the website. I will check autotrader (new website for me).

So, this leads me to be probably more conservative than you guys. Trying to keep to a reputable seller (and or private party who looks like they are 'honest').

Keep in mind that this is the first time I'm buying a used car in my life. I already have a natural aversion to used cars. And buying one above valuation that would leave me stuck in the middle of nowhere is some unnatural paranoia I'm experiencing. Smile

Just FYI: there are 15 TR4 within 500 miles that are 2004+ and < 150k miles and < $25k.

Only 1 is actually viable. 4 are gone even though they are listed (probably as bait). 2 are modified and I have no way to judge quality. 1 is a deal I backed away from - suspicious PP. 3 are salvage title. The others are nothing special and too far to justify checking out.

All said, I agree I need to re-eval 'fair market value' vs my valuation and the opportunity cost of just buying new. I'm miserly (aka on a budget) and I need to decide if I want to pay FMV even though I don't see the value or just buy new. Again, the difficulty here for me is that I can't really judge FMV since I don't really have the knowledge to really judge the car's condition.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If only...we could buy the 70 series Land Cruiser that Toyota still sells everywhere in the world except the USA. 4.2L diesel powered. 5 models available, including two pickups and three hardtop wagon/SUV style.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My current 4Runner is an 07', Limited, 4x4 with the 4.7l V8 also. It's got 160k on it. I bought it from a dealer in 2012 for like $22k with 86k miles on it IIRC. Your looking at a very solid platform. I was prepared to go out of state for mine when it turned up at a local Acura dealer as a trade....right under my nose!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
So is the 4RUNNER SR just a base model, without 4wd or AWD?
I saw a 2008 TOYOTA 4RUNNER SR for around 10K with under 100K miles.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
IMHO, there are no real (cheaper) alternatives to the 4Runner anymore. Even if you buy it new, it's well worth the price you will pay.

We bought ours last year, and have really enjoyed how capable a vehicle (mostly) on- and off-road this thing is.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post