SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to 4Runner?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to 4Runner? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
So is the 4RUNNER SR just a base model, without 4wd or AWD?
I saw a 2008 TOYOTA 4RUNNER SR for around 10K with under 100K miles.

There are a few 2WD 4R's floating around but 4WD is much more common. I believe 2WD is only available on the SR5 but I have not even seen one of them in my years of admiring 4R's.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Damn Henryaz, that pickup is awesome. How hard would it be to get good used one to the US Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Damn Henryaz, that pickup is awesome. How hard would it be to get good used one to the US Wink

Legally, unfortunately quite expensive, unless it is 25+ years old.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm still searching.... .Smile

But also expanding my search to include other options (LX, GX primarily). But also starting to weigh vs buying new.

This is not exact science and I'll be making further refinements and have other considerations. But as a first pass, let's say I consider my price baseline as this:

1) New T4R Off Road = $36k + tax/fees = $40K out the door.
2) Life of the car is 250,000 miles (this is just to use a comparative assumption for used cars)
3) Price per mile = $0.16 / mile

So, a used car based on usable life of 250,000 miles, from a value perspective (similar equipped as new T4ROR), I should hesitate to buy something > $0.16 mile. I may still choose to buy a used car for > $0.16 based on absolute price (and opportunity costs, blah blah), but from a comparative value perspective, a new T4ROR might be better.

Based on a simple valuation like this, any thoughts on how you would limit the price of a used car? Considering that the history is risk (may or may not have been well cared for, may have used cheap shops / parts for maintenance, etc; it's a big assumption for me to assume a used vehicle is well cared for and maintained).

$0.18? $0.20? No more than $0.16? I guess I'm trying to figure out -- at what price and mileage should I just not consider a used vehicle and just buy new.

I have the budget to buy a new one but it means we don't replace my wife's car for a more extended period of time (will be financially problematic if it requires replacement before then).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
$0.18? $0.20? No more than $0.16? I guess I'm trying to figure out -- at what price and mileage should I just not consider a used vehicle and just buy new.

It's a difficult calculation to make because there are unknown variables, like how much the cost of repairs will be to get you to your usable life of 250,000 miles.
Of course, it increases as your car gets older. It's not a straight line. A vehicle with under 100K miles is going to have some scheduled maintenance but few repairs. As it gets older, and higher mileage, you are still going to have all of the regular maintenance, + more, + repairs.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The dealer that took mine in trade has it up with pics. I would think you could buy it under $25k knowing what they have in it. No issues and just had new rotors and ceramic pads put on all 4 corners. It's the Trail Edition with the KDSS suspension.

https://www.toyotaofcedarpark....ty-jtebu5jr3d5128146

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tempting. A car with know history is attractive.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Tempting. A car with know history is attractive.

Man, that does look nice. Ive got a 2005 SR5 2WD and a 2008 Sport 4WD. Such great vehicles...

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We planned to keep it forever but one thing about having kids is they tend to drive a lot of changed plans. With an 8th grader blowing past 6 feet tall and a 5th grader 5'2" and growing just as fast we needed something bigger. We replaced it with a Sequoia which seems huge by comparison.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
They're out there if you're patient and do your research. I was in the market for a 3rd Generation (1997-2002) with under 150,000 miles. I was willing to go 250 miles, maybe more if the right thing came up. Looked at some that turned out to be real garbage in the $8,000 range. I ended up (two weeks ago) with a 1999 Limited from a private owner 45 miles away(2nd owner--he's had it since 2004) with 142,000 miles (and all maintenance records) for $6,000. A very reputable used-car dealer friend of mine just put an identical unit (with 96,000 miles) on his lot for $11,900!

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Anyone in West Texas?
This one goes up for auction today:

2008 TOYOTA 4RUNNER SR5

https://www.copart.com/lot/33100137/Photos

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
You guys had me wanting one ... and so....
I rescued a 2008 4Runner out of Houston....
Hurricane Harvey vehicle with 100K on the clock.
Bid at auction was $5300 but I'm into it for about $7K with auction fees and shipping.

So far, so good. No major problems. It's very rust free underneath and the electrical all works. There was a broken tail light which I have replaced.

The water line is shown above, so it got the carpet wet, which smells... but I've used a laundry detergent solution to shampoo the carpet and I'm using baking soda and it's a lot better.

-rduckwor

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
LX= Land Cruiser
GX= 4Runner

GX does share a chassis with 4runner but thats about it, it is based off the Land Cruiser Prado which is not imported to the states. I keep reading the GX line is next to get axed and if they replace it with a unibody design the previous GX models will become more valued and prices will rise.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
If you are going to drive it into the ground and don't want a lot of hassle over the lifespan it's really hard to justify going used unless you find a grandma special garage queen.

We just got a 17 4Runner TRD Off-road part-time 4X4.

It is a fookin tank, man... A pretty one...

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I would suggest a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every bit as capable, if not more than a 4 Runner and depending on the trip level can be very luxurious.

This ^^^^^

In my recent search for a replacement for my ageing Chevy TrailBlazer I went from Porsche Cayenne -> VW Touareg -> Suburu Forester -> Toyota 4Runner and ended-up at Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Every review of the others I read had in them "If you're considering <this> you should also look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee." So finally I did.

Only three weeks on it, so far, and so far I'm still loving it.

(The Hemi might have something to do with that.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I would suggest a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every bit as capable, if not more than a 4 Runner and depending on the trip level can be very luxurious.

This ^^^^^

In my recent search for a replacement for my ageing Chevy TrailBlazer I went from Porsche Cayenne -> VW Touareg -> Suburu Forester -> Toyota 4Runner and ended-up at Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Every review of the others I read had in them "If you're considering <this> you should also look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee." So finally I did.

Only three weeks on it, so far, and so far I'm still loving it.

(The Hemi might have something to do with that.)

I have several 4wd vehicles and which one did I take home for this snowstorm we're getting? My Grand Cherokee Limited!
You made a great choice.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OP made up his mind and picked up a vehicle that trumps anything mentioned in the thread in my opinion.

chellim1 was just coming in to say he piggy backed off the OP's quest. Good looking 4Runner, chellim1. Hope it treats you well and the flood damage is of no future concern for you.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
What did he get? I don't see it posted.
Thanks, but I guess I should have started a new thread with my purchase.

-rduckwor

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
What did he get? I don't see it posted.
Thanks, but I guess I should have started a new thread with my purchase.

2008 LX570 I believe.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice grab chellim1 !! If no issues, you got quite a deal. I would have gone for it too.

Yup, I picked up a pretty well maintained '08 LX570. About 1000 miles later and I'm really liking it. Gone through some pretty scary (for me) ruts and stuff and it's been working like a champ so far. Really looking forward to taking some off pavement trips in spring/summer/fall next year.