SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to 4Runner?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to 4Runner? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
First -- thanks to all who have helped to educate me and steer me in the right direction on buying my first 4x4 off pavement vehicle leading to my search for a used 4Runner.

Unfortunately, to date, no 4Runner within 500 miles meets my criteria for function, age/mileage and price. This is a difficult beast to find. I seen private party offerings, been to numerous dealers and been scanning websites. Nada.

Been looking for:
1) Trail and then either Limited, Sport or SR5.
2) Less than 125K miles
3) Ballpark price of $12k (2008), $14k (2009) to $23k (2013)

I think I have two more real shots coming up: trade-ins for Labor Day sales and/or when 2018 models arrive.

Other than that, I think I'm going to need to consider alternatives.

I'm going to do some research but wanted to get thoughts on other Toyota offerings. Sequioa seems like it doesn't hold value well. How about Land Cruiser or one of the Lexus GX(?) models?

Are these fine for off pavement? If so, any particular trim and/or generation (model years) to seek out? Would apply similar purchase criteria.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I just traded in my 2013 Trail with 89k miles. The dealer gave me $23,500. They have it priced on their lot for $26,900 now.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Land Cruiser or Lexus are both good machines but I suspect will be far out of your price ranges.

"In the gilded cage" does not give a lot of info as to your location. With more info perhaps we can get you hooked up with something we know of. It might be worth a flight and drive home if you can find the right one. My local dealership had three on the lot the last time I was there. One of which was the 2015 Trail I traded in.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My dad's Tacoma was a 2003, with ~65k miles on it and he traded it in last year at the dealership for around $13k; he said they were frothing at the mouth to get it, too, and had it stickered and on the lot before he drove off in his new Ford F150.

Toyota's just seem to hold their value higher over other cars. I looked up 4runners, Rav4's, and others when we were looking for a second car (ended up with a Rav) and I was looking at Sienna's the other day, and they're all higher value over comparable models of other makes.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I just traded in my 2013 Trail with 89k miles. The dealer gave me $23,500. They have it priced on their lot for $26,900 now.

Man, I would have taken it..... Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I had my 2014 4-Runner into the dealer for oil/tires the other day and was talking to one of the sales guys. He just sold a 2005 to a guy who flew to MN from Texas to drive it home.

2005 was one of the last with the V8 and he had been looking 'everywhere'.

This is our 2nd, and likely not our last. Best of success to you if you find a different option that the mighty 4-Runner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser and Lexus GX are both built on 4Runner bones. There's also Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds and Grand Cherokees. The previous body style Nissan Pathfinder was body on frame, early in that generation they actually had an off road trim. Nissan Xterra in Off-Road or Pro-4X trim.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently sold my 2006 4-Runner with 234K miles. Current 4-Runners are too tall, too wide, too heavy and too thirsty but for that, I would have bought another. Nice used 4-Runners go fast. I ended up getting a 2017 Outback. Closest thing I could find to the Toyota. The gas mileage is spoiling me .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a letter in the mail from the dealer I bought my '13 SR5 4x4 from (in AL, I'm now NC) who offered me $24,500 assuming it was in "good" shape and had less than 75K on it. Mine only has 62k, amazed at how well these hold their value.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
The Land Cruiser or Lexus are both good machines but I suspect will be far out of your price ranges.

Sigh. Yes. A little quick research and sounds like I would prefer the gen 2 2010+ model over the < 2009 models. Which seems like it puts me in the $30k ballpark. At that point, I'm back to buying a new SR5/TRDOR.

It's really difficult to stay in the <$20k (target $15k) range for a decent used vehicle. I really would like to not buy a new one but that may be the only option.

Hopefully Labor Day trade-in's may yield something.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There are some Limited's for consideration. But they seem commonly come with 245/60/20 wheels instead of the stock 265/70/17.

Is the 245/60/20 going to be okay for off pavement? Or only good for highway?

posted Hide Post
There are several guys on 4runnerforum.org that run the 20's offroad. It doesn't sound like you will be doing technical trails (at least at first) so will likely have no issues. I have the 20s on my Limited for Summer months but recently picked up a set of take off 17s from a 2017 Offroad and put a set of BFG K02 tires on them for winter use. The 17" tires are still expensive but cheaper than the 20s and there is a wider choice of tread patterns. I will put the 20s back on in the spring as they are quieter and I am getting slightly better gas mileage than I did with my 2015 Trail even though the LE is full time 4WD. Most of the folks prefer the looks of the 17s and change for that reason but probably there isn't a lot of difference performance wise if you are staying with the stock tires.
I volunteer for Red Cross in my area and wanted a much more aggressive tread for winter use as we go out to calls in all weather day or night. The snow can get deep here in Iowa at times. That is just my personal choice though.
I had asked in an earlier post about your location, if you prefer not to divulge that is your choice but again someone may have a lead on something near you if it is not too far away.
You might check inventory at Cedar Rapids Toyota (Iowa) as they had my old Trail Certified with 35,000 miles and a couple of other 4Runners on the lot. If you choose to contact them, email me first and I will hook you up with a very honest guy to deal with. I have bought 3 vehicles from him and never felt taken advantage of. Email is in my info.
Perhaps just give your Zip Code, that will not give too much info about you.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Every bit as capable, if not more than a 4 Runner and depending on the trip level can be very luxurious.
Our family is on our third one and although some bash their reliability we have never had any issues.
We typically get at least 150k out of our vehicles before we sell them.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I had my 2014 4-Runner into the dealer for oil/tires the other day and was talking to one of the sales guys. He just sold a 2005 to a guy who flew to MN from Texas to drive it home.

2005 was one of the last with the V8 and he had been looking 'everywhere'.

This is our 2nd, and likely not our last. Best of success to you if you find a different option that the mighty 4-Runner.

iirc V8 was 2003-2009. not many in '09 though.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
First -- thanks to all who have helped to educate me and steer me in the right direction on buying my first 4x4 off pavement vehicle leading to my search for a used 4Runner.

Unfortunately, to date, no 4Runner within 500 miles meets my criteria for function, age/mileage and price. This is a difficult beast to find. I seen private party offerings, been to numerous dealers and been scanning websites. Nada.

Been looking for:
1) Trail and then either Limited, Sport or SR5.
2) Less than 125K miles
3) Ballpark price of $12k (2008), $14k (2009) to $23k (2013)

I think I have two more real shots coming up: trade-ins for Labor Day sales and/or when 2018 models arrive.

Other than that, I think I'm going to need to consider alternatives.

I'm going to do some research but wanted to get thoughts on other Toyota offerings. Sequioa seems like it doesn't hold value well. How about Land Cruiser or one of the Lexus GX(?) models?

Are these fine for off pavement? If so, any particular trim and/or generation (model years) to seek out? Would apply similar purchase criteria.

looks like you would need to either drop year model for your wanted price/mileage or up your price for the year/mileage your looking for. they are out there if you adjust your criteria a little.

I found a '06 4WD V8 locking diff Limited with 75K for $15K on autotrader for an example. very clean looking.

also I think the V8's in that year span have the timing belt and not a timing chain. if belt you need to take that into consideration on mileage. usually its a 60K change interval and they are interference engines. if you dont already know. good luck with your search. as I stated in your first thread on getting into off road, I would consider taking a good look at the Jeep Wranglers.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new 4-Runners are just as big or a tad smaller than the older Toyota Sequoia. I would purchase one of those. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Alternatives to a 4Runner? There are none, except it's bigger brother the Land CruiserBig Grin. I'm currently on 4Runner #6. I just keep trading up over the years. Had an FZJ80 (Land Cruiser) in there for a couple of years too. Check this link for info on the FJ100 Cruisers. Lots of good info..
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the GX470 still flies under the radar...and honestly, you get more truck than the 4Runner for less $$$.

I started with this:

And ended with:

One caveat - The rear air suspension will likely require attention at some point, and I'd recommend changing it to coil springs. But this is easy and not very expensive. Do it at the same time you do a small front lift, put on more aggressive wheels and tires...and you'll be set!

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do u live konata?

My neighbor has a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 132k commuter miles. It is in great condition, has brand new tires, but needs an engine. Not sure what he is asking, but lmk if interested.

As far a 4Runner's go, I have an '03 SR5 that I picked up almost two years ago with just under 12K miles for $10K.

It needed new tires (I put GY Duramax' on it), all fluids changed, some hoses, fuel and cabin filter and maybe some other stuff, but she runs beautifully! Two years ago we had a ~31" snowstorm that I drove out in of course, to 'test' my new machine, which was unstoppable on partially / barely plowed roads to un-plowed roads!

A true beast and a worthy vehicle for our very active alpine ski patrol and ski racing family.

Good luck with your search!

rob

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Ford Explorer for a while, but it was too nice inside for a pair of muddy boots in the back. Don't know what you need, but have you considered the Tacoma with a cap? That is what I used to replace the Explorer. Lockable inside storage, nice in the king cab, but can throw firewood, etc in the back. Very good 4WD system, never let me down. Got 190k on it now (2001).

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post