SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airplane Crash - Something you don't see every day.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airplane Crash - Something you don't see every day. Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Look at those trees...
Look at those power lines...

During flight school, I could never figure out why they always put trees and power lines on flight calculator questions about take off and landings. As I worked the problem, I always thought nobody would be so stupid to build a runway with a 50 foot obstacle on the approach or departure end.

Yet, it seems like nearly every time ~ there they are!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the pilot landing at an airport or an available open field? The article is unclear.

If he was headed for an airport, can FL members tell us which one? We can then look it up on www.airnav.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I think I saw that plane flying over Cape Coral before. If not then one marked up just like it.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Was the pilot landing at an airport or an available open field? The article is unclear.

The article states that he was making a forced landing, following an engine failure.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's the typical GA "engine trouble / failure".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
F=Fun
E=Emergency

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I would like to have the rear wing so I could make a coffee table out of it.

"Rear wing"? That's a new one! Roll Eyes

I I would like to see that!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

If he was headed for an airport, can FL members tell us which one? We can then look it up on www.airnav.com

ZPH

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Is Harrison Ford flying again?

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Look at those trees...
Look at those power lines...

During flight school, I could never figure out why they always put trees and power lines on flight calculator questions about take off and landings. As I worked the problem, I always thought nobody would be so stupid to build a runway with a 50 foot obstacle on the approach or departure end.

Yet, it seems like nearly every time ~ there they are!

The trees probably weren't there when the runway was built, but the neighboring land owners never cut them down. Eventually, they get tall enough the FAA poo poos them and the airport eminent domains the "irreplaceable" tree to the tune of $30,000.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

The trees probably weren't there when the runway was built, but the neighboring land owners never cut them down. Eventually, they get tall enough the FAA poo poos them and the airport eminent domains the "irreplaceable" tree to the tune of $30,000.

At the ZPH link posted by Dr Dan above, each runway lists obstructions but they're all trees, not power lines. However, at the bottom of the page it reads:

Additional Remarks
- 24 FT PLINE CROSSES APCH 800-1300 FT FROM RWY 23 END; MKD WITH RED FLAGS.

Those may be what the Stearman hit.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I would like to have the rear wing so I could make a coffee table out of it.

"Rear wing"? That's a new one! Roll Eyes

I I would like to see that!

Not to mention that "rear wing" is tubing covered in fabric. (horizontal stabilizer)

As a conventionally staggered biplane, the lower wing is actually the "rear wing." Still covered in fabric too, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
It can be rebuilt. Just time and money. You can rebuild an aircraft from the data plate if that is all you have. BTW, I have an ATP, A&P and IA.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Heard from a flying buddy of mine. The pilot of the bent Stearman is a UA Captain. Turns out that a former crew member of mine gave this pilot a familiarization flight in another friend's Stearman a few years ago. The word I'm getting is that while making the emergency engine-out landing the right wing clipped a traffic signal strung over the road. Apparently the pilot only recently bought this Stearman.

quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
I think I saw that plane flying over Cape Coral before. If not then one marked up just like it.

While you may well have previously seen this Stearman keep in mind that it is in Army Air Corps markings, and while I've seen all manner of Stearman finish jobs, it is quite common to see them in either WW II Army Air Corps or U.S. Navy markings. Often, if you are able to catch enough detail, you will find some individual markings in addition to the standard ones. Aircraft names, pilot names, individual identifying fuselage numbers, sometimes nose art, and of course the registration number, almost always found on the vertical stab.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post