SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airplane Crash - Something you don't see every day.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airplane Crash - Something you don't see every day. Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Was driving back from Tampa last Friday and came upon this scene at the intersection of Rte. 54 and Chancey Road.

Pilot and passenger both survived. Passenger with minor injuries, pilot refused treatment and stayed at the scene.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Unsuccessful merge?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Another advantage of low and slow!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Authorities say a 1942 Boeing Stearman single-engine aircraft collided with a power line while trying to land during an engine failure or malfunction.

The landing gear reportedly struck the line causing the aircraft to cartwheel and crash.

Link

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
Wow, lucky to not get hung up in those high line wires. Glad the injuries weren't severe.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"Rubbernecking sons of bitches..."

Razz

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Second Hand Lions. Glad these two suvived.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Too bad to lose that old plane.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

My thought too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

My thought too.

Bet someone rebuilds it...they're too valuable to just trash... Glad no one was hurt !

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

My thought too.

Bet someone rebuilds it...they're too valuable to just trash... Glad no one was hurt !

Count on it!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That will buff right out!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Bye plane.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've both flown and rebuilt Stearmans. Had a friend once walk away from a Stearman crash resulting in the a/c total destruction... I was the first to arrive on scene and I found him standing beside the wreckage, with a small cut on his forehead. The first thing he said to me... "The poor airplane, that poor airplane".

Stearmans we're built as one of the primary trainers of WW II, and knowing they were going to be subject to abuse from student pilots they built them tough. Having said that, I've lost my share of friends in Stearman accidents as well.

Luckily many Stearmans were produced in WW II and therefore parts are subjectively more available...but with each passing year parts are increasingly difficult to find.

Sure hate to see the old girl busted up like that...but glad to see passenger and pilot safe. If you gotta wreck an old plane and want to walk away from it...that's the plane to do it from.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She'll be back. Great project for someone. Too much good there to even consider scrapping it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Any landing you can walk away from....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Passenger: STEER MAN!! STEER MAN!!

Pilot: Yes, Stearman!! HOLY SHHH....

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31434 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My father in law was trained mostly in a PT 19, but he had some time in a Stearman.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would like to have the rear wing so I could make a coffee table out of it.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post