SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard Shifting Hyundai Veracruz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Shifting Hyundai Veracruz Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
We've got a 2010 Hyundai Veracruz with just over 110,000 miles. Plan to keep it for a while longer. It's developed a hard downshift, seems like 3->2. Thing is, there's no maintenance interval for the trans fluid, no dipstick, and I don't know how to even check or add fluid.

Suggestions? Anyone know how to check the fluid, in case that's it? It's out of warranty, and I'd prefer not to take it to the dealer, but will if I have to.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try having the fluid and filter changed, 110k miles is a lot on tranny fluid.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I believe the transmission on that model is "sealed-for-life", so you can't add fluid anyways. But the problem may actually be caused by a software glitch. You may have to take it to a dealer to perform the software patch.

[Possibly even simpler: has the battery been disconnected recently? If so, it's possible the shift settings have been erased and the system must be pushed through a "relearning" cycle to recalibrate.]

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
No dipstick, so can't check level. Trans appears to take about 11.5 qts.

Fill plug is torx-t55

Level check/Drain plug torx-t45

Drain plug is a normal 1/2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUXpz67ysc

Recommendation is to drain and fill every 60k, by now the fluid is pretty close to dark red/black.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I believe the transmission on that model is "sealed-for-life", so you can't add fluid anyways. But the problem may actually be caused by a software glitch. You may have to take it to a dealer to perform the software patch.

[Possibly even simpler: has the battery been disconnected recently? If so, it's possible the shift settings have been erased and the system must be pushed through a "relearning" cycle to recalibrate.]

The battery has not been disconnected very recently, and we've been driving a lot (NM and back) so I don't think it's relearning. Although maybe it needs to be reset.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post