SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the storm and not too worried that on the Jersey coast will take a hard hit. I'm still going to get extra gas for the generator which will get used one way or another either with the lawn tractor, chain saw, and finally snow blower once winter comes. I just make sure I put in gas treatment with having ethanol in our gas.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reference to posts regarding Hurricane warnings. This is what I received just prior to Katrina. I had already made my mind up to leave. It is quite a ways out at this point and hopefully will not be as strong as expected. The NHC is much better at forecasting direction, but not as much with intensity. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FROM 2005 AND IS NOT FLORENCE.

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES
AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE
OUTSIDE!

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
This looks to be coming ashore somewhere in Carolinas. Makes me sick to see this knowing what these storms can do. Hope all are preparing and taking seriously.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have been dealing with hurricanes since I lived on Galveston Island back in '79.

We currently have a beach house on Hatteras Island that is rented out this week. I will be contacting the tenants reminding them to pay attention to Dare County's EM which is pretty good.
Of course that means that we'll have to go down there (a 7 hour drive) and board up the house...

Fun, fun, fun!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

5am update

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've been keeping a wary eye on the updates as well.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking better for the Charleston area, but at the expense of somewhere further north. Will continue to keep an eye out and be ready. Those north, should the forecast hold, get ready.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Take care, all in the projected path.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Surf/swell forecast for Buxton, NC.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
They are calling for 10’ ft onshore swells here in Palm Beach and tides a few feet above normal. High tide just passed and it was easily 1’ above normal just below our docks. Amazing the power and influence from something so far away - right now it is flat calm, almost oily. The surfers are salivating waiting for what will be a smooth head high+ break.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Is that Buxton on Hatteras Island ?

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Yes, I would assume so.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes

https://www.swellinfo.com/surf...uxton-north-carolina

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
saw this web site at Conservative Treehouse

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.9;-77.9;4&l=rain-3h

very cool

At the bottom of the page, you can step through the forecast hour by hour using the "Next" button in lower right corner.

As you step thru, you see the hurricane approaching the east coast.

Then it lingers over NC and VA coast for several days.

Friday thru Monday could be ugly.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a little nervous about this one. My wife's whole family lives here:

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nothing to be nervous about. I'm sure they can find a place to evacuate to somewhere between 75 and 2,600 miles west of their present location.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm getting a little nervous about this one. My wife's whole family lives here:

I am familiar with the area. The Emergency Management in that area is up to speed since they have had plenty of experience in dealing with large storms. There will be a mandatory evacuation for the barrier islands as always. Board up and take what they need and go inland. It is stressful, but there is no need for anyone to perish in one of these storms.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.wunderground.com/c...Threat-US-East-Coast

Florence has re-intensified into a hurricane, and is expected to rapidly intensify into a very dangerous Category 4 hurricane by Tuesday as it heads towards the Southeast U.S. Coast.

Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the Southeast U.S. East Coast, or remain just offshore. The odds have increased that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a huge rainfall and coastal flooding threat.

details at link

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
saw this web site at Conservative Treehouse

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.9;-77.9;4&l=rain-3h

very cool

At the bottom of the page, you can step through the forecast hour by hour using the "Next" button in lower right corner.

As you step thru, you see the hurricane approaching the east coast.

Then it lingers over NC and VA coast for several days.

Friday thru Monday could be ugly.

Thanks for posting, this looks pretty ugly. They have the track significantly farther north than NOAA, though. I've got a sailboat in the Chesapeake, so I'm likely gong to have to pull her out regardless. Hope this thing doesn't just park over us.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post