SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 5am Fri

eye is 15 miles off shore

movement is WNW 6 mph
max sustained wind 90 mph

Kure Beach, Oak Island, North Topsail Beach are within the brown Hurricane zone

The hurricane wind zone is 150 miles on the long axis

It is more clear that the storm is turning to the left

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I woke up this morning and turned on FNC and could only take about 2 mins of it. What a ridiculous spectacle. These people are absurd with their coverage of this storm. I'll stick with OAN.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Frying Pan feed shows a beautiful sunrise. It's been clear for over an hour. Is this the eye?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frying Pan feed shows a beautiful sunrise

Notes at the site say Frying Pan lost power.

Highlights being played from previous recordings

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It's warm and humid with zero breeze and rain where I live in SE Virginia. We had mandatory evacuations a few days ago. I think that was wise given what was known then. But what a hit to the economy. A lot of businesses around here have been closed since Wednesday.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
It appears the eye of the storm has made landfall, just north of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach

NOAA 8am

Max sustained wind 90 mph, gusts to 115 mph

movement is now W at 6 mph

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I woke up this morning and turned on FNC and could only take about 2 mins of it. What a ridiculous spectacle. These people are absurd with their coverage of this storm. I'll stick with OAN.

There is apparently nothing else going on in the Whole Wide World!

The overpressurized natural gasline explosions and fires in greater Lawrence, MA, would be a significant national story if not for the hurricane.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Seen some pictures and video from the OBX, Buxton, Hatteras area. Dunes breached and water sand on parts of the main road. This morning the storm had pushed parts of the sounds empty. Definitely some damage but looks a lot better then it could have been there.

https://2ici3k3unys8ozllgrlz7r...arley-091318.mp4?_=1

Further south seems like it's taking the brunt of the storm.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
While I’m flipping between coverages I keep hearing that rescues are happening

If this is occurring in evac zones I think 2 things need to happen...
1.. those rescued need to kiss the first responders ass for risking their lives
2.. they need to be held financially responsible for the cost of the first responders to come save them

Brunswick County (Southport, Oak Island, Sunset Beach, etc.) has shut down all emergency operations on the coast. Everyone will be on their own for the next 24 hours or so.

I can't get in contact with my friend on Kure Beach. He is in a bunker. They aren't saving anyone either.

Topsail Beach/Surf City are getting hit with 110 MPH winds right now. I expect most of the island is under water.

Hey Chongo, off topic, but is your friend Richard Price?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Looks like the surge put New Bern under water. :/

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Looks like the surge put New Bern under water. :/

Hmmm, a shipmate who works on the opposite crew of me just went home a day ahead of the hurricane. We just changed out crews. He lives in New Bern. Dang.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Saw a few videos in Wilmington. They did not show massive flooding yet but that wind was hitting hard. Once all this is over, I suspect that town will be shut down for a couple weeks.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think RNMarine said he lives in New Bern. Frown

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
New Bern is practically in the water in normal situations. Hope all your friends and family are safe!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarinetoRN:
That's a big sucker and coming straight at us. Mandatory evacuations already in effect in some areas. I'm truly afraid my little town of New Bern is done for. A lot of businesses already boarded up and county services being shut down. I've heard rumor of mandatory evacuation orders for the entire county. I'll be spending this hurricane, like all the others at the hospital. Please keep us in your prayers. Looks like we'll need all we can get.

Hope the hospital is on some higher ground. Saw many hospitals doing evacs.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Too bad, New Bern is a wonderful town.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I think the problem for New Bern was that the storm blew the water from the Sound up into those two rivers. Eventually there was no place to go, except over the banks.

Neuse River had a surge of 10 feet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-North-Carolina.html

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...c-small-city-n909551

Surge of 30’ expected. Frown

It's sad. The most frustrating thing is these people were told to leave and they refused. Now they are scrambling to get out with all the roads flooded, risking the lives of others for their stupidity.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
While I’m flipping between coverages I keep hearing that rescues are happening

If this is occurring in evac zones I think 2 things need to happen...
1.. those rescued need to kiss the first responders ass for risking their lives
2.. they need to be held financially responsible for the cost of the first responders to come save them

Brunswick County (Southport, Oak Island, Sunset Beach, etc.) has shut down all emergency operations on the coast. Everyone will be on their own for the next 24 hours or so.

I can't get in contact with my friend on Kure Beach. He is in a bunker. They aren't saving anyone either.

Topsail Beach/Surf City are getting hit with 110 MPH winds right now. I expect most of the island is under water.

Hey Chongo, off topic, but is your friend Richard Price?

No. My guy is a sergeant with Kure Beach PD. We used to be assigned to public housing/gangs together. Best cop I’ve ever worked with.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post