SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
a storm to keep an eye on for east coast

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching it intently, as I am supposed to run a 55' yacht over to Nassau, Bahamas on Thursday and spend 2 weeks over there. It's way too far out to really tell where it's headed at this point, but most of the models show NC.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I spent over a decade working emergency service work in three counties in the Cape Fear area. They have some excellent agencies and personnel. Multitudes better than when the last big one hit.

But there are exponentially more people living down there. And a lot of them are retirees that have never seen a real hurricane.

I am glad that it’s not my responsibility, but I’d be more than happy to go help if I was tasked with it.

They are certainly due a big one. We have a house on Oak Island that has survived 35 years so far since it was built. I hope it can withstand what comes.

Every year they say it’s going to be the worse year ever, but it’s been very mild for a long time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not concerned yet but paying close attention to it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I lived from Jacksonville to the outer banks, I’d be making preparations now. This will be at minimum a Cat 3, 2 days before it makes landfall. That gives it plenty of time to get even stronger by the time it reaches the CONUS.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the 5:00 a.m. update and discussion. Could be a Cat.4 on Thursday. I have folks that are still drying out from Matthew in NC, thinking of heading towards Wilmington/Jacksonville when retirement years catch me.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If I lived from Jacksonville to the outer banks, I’d be making preparations now.

Anyone who lives in this area and is not already prepared is doing it wrong.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm on the state emergency response team that goes and works communications in disaster areas. We got a heads up two days ago to be ready to roll. I'm packed and waiting for deployment orders. I just hope it's not as bad inland as Matthew was in 2016.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

M is > 110 mph

posted Hide Post
Ugh, not liking that last update.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
So much for the "experts" saying this will be a quiet hurricane season due to sand from the Middle East. The storms seem to be lining up since then.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nah. The God Damned Commies have been praying for this to hit DC, tear up things so the vote on Kavanaugh can’t take place as scheduled.

Maybe a couple of Senators will be washed out to sea, or the dome of the Capitol will fill with salt water, anything to put it off.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Why?^^^

Please delete your post so the thread doesn't get locked.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, the judge is in. Conjuring up Florence ain't gonna stop destiny.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching and watching this one for reasons stated above (and follow lots of hurricanes over the years). But I'm having a hard time believing that it's going to pick up so much wind speed so quickly and start moving so much faster......guess we can only wait and see.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ocean temperatures have been a little above average in most locations along the Atlantic coast. Fuel to the fire, so to speak.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I was walking out of the grocery to top off some supplies I got the emergency alert on my phone that we’re all going to die. Ok, maybe it didn’t say that exactly, but I’m sure everyone will be in full panic mode in the next 48 hours here in Charleston.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
As I was walking out of the grocery to top off some supplies I got the emergency alert on my phone that we’re all going to die. Ok, maybe it didn’t say that exactly, but I’m sure everyone will be in full panic mode in the next 48 hours here in Charleston.

Other than a fresh loaf of bread and a few bags of ice, I'm ready for it in case it comes up the Chesapeake Bay and bombs out. Folks from Jacksonville, FL northward need to monitor the situation.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
5 pm update

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now that I'm back in Florida, I've stocked up on Tony's Clam Chowder from Publix. I'm all set.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post