SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The news here showed a half dozen ambulance crews from up here going down. I have not heard of lineman crews heading out but I expect they will.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
This should be a lot fun! I finally get to whip out my generator. I was already stocked up on food and water but hit the store for snacks and random stuff. Went to fill up my gas cans, and all the pumps were empty except 89 oct ethanol free, good deal. I have 2 propane tanks and 8 gallons of gas so I think I'll be OK with my Champion 3500 peak 3200 running inverter generator. Just need to keep on the refrigerators and lights. Kind of wish I had gotten the interlock installed. I will keep you guys posted once it gets closer.

Email me if you need any help getting power to things. I can walk you through one time emergency set up to get you power in the house.

ETA anyone who needs help on figuring out loads or what mixes of things are OK to run together, email me. I will try to help anyone who has genny questions.

I know we are not in the path, but they are calling on it to park and dump 15-20 inches on us.
I have a generator but we have never used it, going to get 15 gallons (3 cans filled up today). I may reach out to you as I have no real idea what I am doing with it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3587 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA forecast continues to shift south

NOAA
Florence is moving west-northwestward or 300 degrees at 15 kt.

By late Thursday, a mid-level ridge is forecast to begin building over the east-central United States, which is expected to cause Florence to slow down significantly by 48 hours

The NHC track has been adjusted southward at
days 4 and 5, and is a little north of the consensus out of respect for continuity, however, the GFS, ECMWF, and the ECMWF ensemble mean is south of the NHC track forecast, and additional southward adjustment may be warranted in future advisories.

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It is aggravating. They have declared a state of emergency here and all of Virginia. The university will close tomorrow and football Saturday was canceled.

Weather.com is calling for light showers...

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3587 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, what a change this morning. I live in SE Virginia. Yesterday they were predicting 10-15 inches of rain and tropical storm force winds and wind gusts. Now, this morning, for us they are predicting 2-3 inches of rain and windgusts under 20mph. But I heard possible rain dumps in the Carolinas of up to 4 feet.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
It is aggravating. They have declared a state of emergency here and all of Virginia. The university will close tomorrow and football Saturday was canceled.

Pretty dramatic changes in path this morning that I don't think any of the models had estimated that direction. I'm not sure, two days out, what other options you would have suggested for the state of VA yesterday given the seemingly pretty solid forecast?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about all of you but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t believe anything I hear about a major storm until after it happens. I feel like the townspeople in the story of the boy who cried wolf. The media is in such a hurry to get ratings they simply upsell every potential large storm as an apocalyptic event.

Granted, you still have to make certain precautions if you’re in the area... I understand that. I’m just saying I’m tired of hearing all the drummed up media-pushed hysteria that seems to almost always be way off the mark.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Pretty dramatic changes in path this morning that I don't think any of the models had estimated that direction. I'm not sure, two days out, what other options you would have suggested for the state of VA yesterday given the seemingly pretty solid forecast?

I wasnt being critical of the response just the situation. I apologize if that was not clear

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I don’t know about all of you but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t believe anything I hear about a major storm until after it happens. I feel like the townspeople in the story of the boy who cried wolf. The media is in such a hurry to get ratings they simply upsell every potential large storm as an apocalyptic event.

Granted, you still have to make certain precautions if you’re in the area... I understand that. I’m just saying I’m tired of hearing all the drummed up media-pushed hysteria that seems to almost always be way off the mark.

I agree completely. Eventually, they're going to get people hurt or killed (if they haven't already). People who rightly develop skepticism aren't going to evacuate when it's really necessary.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

2 days ago some of the models showed this exact movement but then changed back. Looks like they were right. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
I’m in the Columbia/Sumter area. We are launching jets to get out of here today. We are stocked up with food, water, fuel...plus chainsaws, chains, tarps, and the like.

I’m thinking we are fooked.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I wonder if the Gulf Stream will give this thing the heat to bump it up to a Cat 5 right before it hits? It’s only 30 or 40 miles off the coast.

I can tell you from my experience with Hurricane Andrew in 92' between passing over the Bahamas and making landfall here in my area of the low southeast coastline it jumped from a strong category 3 to make landfall as a cat 5. Working for Florida Power and Light Company I can tell you that at the south end of our Turkey Point Nuclear Plant, on the top of the South Gate Entrance Building which was manned during the storm, the anemometer blew off the building with a recorded gust of 212mph. Take care of each other during and after the storm. People and neighbors are really going to need to band together to help during restoration, especially the elderly, children, and pets. My prayers go out to you all.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I'm also in SE VA and spent the last few days sweating my nuts off preparing, somehow that seems to have acted as a talisman to ward the storm off. It's good to have modern technology's advance warnings but there's always uncertainty as to what a hurricane will really do right up until it strikes. It's hard to imagine how much damage flooding alone Florence will cause if it keeps slowing down and just camps out dumping rain somewhere.

I remember the Andrew storm. The auto shops down south were backed up for so long that folks had to go out of state for repairs. I was doing collision estimating at the time and the dealer I worked for in Norfolk, VA repaired some of the the vehicles damaged by Andrew. One Pontiac Grand Am looked like it had been sandblasted at a shipyard: the trim, glass, headlamps, wheels, paint, etc. were all etched from blowing debris. Hopefully everyone in the affected Carolina areas is either prepped to the nines or has left for safer ground. Good luck to all.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Atlanta is getting all the Apache choppers.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mother Nature has some surprises for us. As time passes we'll eventually see a real "Storm of the Century".

This might be one.

Be safe.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Atlanta is getting all the Apache choppers.

Yep. About 8 flew over my house yesterday.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Totally agree. Most people here don’t give a shit, only if it’s coming for them. I tend to follow this stuff closely because I do care what happens to my fellow citizens. The media blasts this shit out for ratings. Just happened in August to my friend in Hawaii. Media made it sound like that hurricane was gonna devastate. I kept touch with him every few hours during and that got hit with some hard rain and a fire shutting down a main Highway, otherwise nothing major. And there is a hurricane heading straight for them currently and it barely gets a mention on the current news cycle. Hawaii may be libtard but it’s still a state and part of the US. I hate the fucking media.

My prayers are there for the East Coast folks and Hawaii residents. I hope these hurricanes chill out and break down to tropical storms. They can be devastating.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m in VA now. Should be to Fort Bragg in a couple of hours. I was in a caravan of line trucks from Ohio headed south. Somewhere in WV we picked up a caravan of ambulances.

I just made my first stop for food and fuel since I was at half a tank. I plan on stopping every 90 mins or so now and topping off the tank. Gasbuddy is showing no fuel anywhere around base.

My son is staying on base but was told to send his family away so I am getting his wife and kids. She needs to hurry up and get her driver’s license. Didn’t matter I guess. He tried to get them out and their car gave up.

Shocked that I’m averaging 28mpg in my Subaru with the H6. I’m keeing my speeds between 75 and 80.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8007 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the way home this morning (Charlotte) about 15 miles south of Burlington I picked up a caravan of Emergency Operations Command and communications trucks. I believe they were from the Office of Emergency Communications.

I just saw the shift and kindof pissed since I just stopped at Wally World in Hillsborough.

I have to be on duty this weekend any ways. It would be a load off my mind if it passes us because I work in Charlotte but the house is in Durham.

Plus I just cancelled my DR appt. for Thursday in Richmond, that I have been waiting for forever to get.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another shift towards south

NOAA 11 am report 12 Sep 2018

Florence is about 500 miles off shore

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post