SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Should be fun here at Ft Bragg, NC. Hopefully they'll shut down Wednesday cause it's headed directly at here at this point.

If they shut down Wednesday can i still get in to get my son’s wife and kids? And maybe my son. Lol

I’m leaving Wednesday morning from Ohio to head that way.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing official yet. Just saying be ready by Thursday morning. As typical with the mil they will release the active duty tomorrow or Wednesday and expect us civs to stay through Wednesday or Thursday.

There is a Ft Bragg official notice on Facebook and other social medial sites. That's the best notice.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My daughter just got to their rental on the OBX yesterday. She, her husband and my two-yr old granddaughter will be moving inland tomorrow morning.
So much for their week on the beach. They may need to fly home to Kansas City Wednesday rather than trying to see if they get out on their scheduled flight on Sunday.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Where are the Navy ships going, Florida?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I don't know what I just watched, but I feel like I need to shoot a moose, or something.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Wonder how many takes it took for him to be satisfied. Big Grin Anyone want to tell him how easy it is to trim out the last two seconds? when he reaches up to shut off the camera?

I watched it to the end. He'll be checking the analytics. Wanna keep him smiling.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the Navy ships going, Florida?

Probably not. Most likely out to sea well away from the storm.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine from Boston txt me this. Made me laugh Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Hilton Head part of the mandatory evacuation?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Hilton Head, yes.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Buddy of mine from Boston txt me this...

Where in E. NC are you?

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Was just reading about hurricane Hazel.

When it hit Oak Island there were 357 homes on it.

When it left Oak Island there were FIVE homes left.

Our house and my in-laws' house are both about 23' above sea level near the middle of the island. Hazel hit during the highest tide of the year...so fingers crossed...but that is scary as hell.

Latest tracks have it going further north...but there is still a lot of time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
11 pm center line of the cone has shifted somewhat to the east

at present, the hurricane force winds are out to about 30 to 40 miles from the center

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This is such an odd feeling. I dearly want it to hit farther from us, i.e. south and west, fully realizing that means someone else will take the brunt.

Current track puts the southern OBX in the NE quadrant.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far they (Governors of both North and South Carolina) are taking this pretty seriously. Mandatory evacuations for large stretched of Sc coastline, and evacuations and school closures in North Carolina. South Carolina closed all schools in the lowlands and midlands effective today.

The models have done very little, in that all but one said the storm would not exceed 133 MPH winds, and yet it went from a Cat 1 to a CAT 4 in 24 hours and was within 3mph of being a CAT 5.

I typically do not get worried about hurricanes, but something is telling me that this is going to be a bad one.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
26 and 526 here in Charleston are being reversed at the moment. Not sure how this is going to make things for the next day or two.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Local meteorologist here in Richmond is reporting both Euro and GFS models trending toward a stall shortly after landfall in NC slowing to a crawl of about 3 mph then potentially a southwest turn towards eastern SC.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Was just reading about hurricane Hazel.

When it hit Oak Island there were 357 homes on it.

When it left Oak Island there were FIVE homes left.

Our house and my in-laws' house are both about 23' above sea level near the middle of the island. Hazel hit during the highest tide of the year...so fingers crossed...but that is scary as hell.

Latest tracks have it going further north...but there is still a lot of time.

A little perspective on Hazel...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA predicted rainfall looks worse

Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Was supposed to drive I-95 S from Richmond down to Savannah Thursday and then back up on Sunday. I think Savannah will be fine as usual and our local weather expert seems to think that the storm will steer SW of here enough not to be a problem for metro Richmond, but I'm concerned about the weather (and traffic) on I-95 Thursday and then about getting back on Sunday if there's severe flooding. Anyone in the SC/NC area have any insight on what to expect on 95 in this situation?

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post