SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Look at all the devastation and think...this only hit as a category 1. Just imagine if it had been a 4 or 5, which will still probably happen in my lifetime.

We got word that our house and my inlaws’ house are ok.

But many of my friends lost their houses or have significant flood damage. Truly sad.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm really glad that your home is okay. How soon can you get back to it. Sounds like weeks for some people.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Ours is rented. The tenant is a deputy there and stayed to work, and his wife and teenage son stayed at the house. They have no water/power/sewer, and intermittent cell service.

Access to the island is still cut off, I believe, until they can restore water/sewer.

My inlaws are out of town on vacation for several more days. They had just retired and moved into their house full-time. We both were very lucky.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Look at all the devastation and think...this only hit as a category 1. Just imagine if it had been a 4 or 5, which will still probably happen in my lifetime.
When its a coastal state like yours, tidal surge is always going to pose a bigger challenge than pure wind speed. If Florence 'had' been a CAT4 you obviously would have seen more wind related damage, but that CAT4 storm would have pushed unimaginable amounts of water inland that would have decimated virtually everything. Given the layout of the Carolina coastlines and the ocean floor, even mild storms are going to reek havoc.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If you have considered donating in regards to this hurricane and it's disaster, I would ask you to look at two officers I used to work with that have lost everything or almost everything. One has a child with special needs and the other is the single breadwinner (his wife was also an officer with us before she became a stay-at-home-mom).

Both are very good people, and continue to work despite their losses. The Wilmington Police Department is not a very high-paying agency, unfortunately, and any generosity would go a long way:

https://www.gofundme.com/innel...y-hurricane-flo-help

https://www.gofundme.com/chish...-hurricane-flo-help#

-JALLEN

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/2...cape-fear-river.html

Property damage and disruption from Florence is expected to total at least $17 billion to $22 billion, but that estimate could end up being on the conservative end, according to Moody's Analytics.

The company estimates 49,000 homes and businesses were still without power late this week.

Posts: 19566 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I got back on Monday. This place was trashed. I am one of the lucky ones who can still live in their home. Many aren't so lucky. We got over 30" of rain. Besides most of my roofs shingles being in the back yard and some water in the garage I fared well. My buddy lost everything. His house is underwater.

Good comunities here, everyone is working on it. I scored a carton of eggs today and a bottle of wine. That's a win. MRE's and SPAM were getting old. Water and electric is back on and the boil advisory was lifted today. Got cell and internet Wednesday night.

You know it was deep if they had to send out tuna boats to rescue civilians lol. I guess those shit boxes might be usefull afterall Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Mbinky, Chongo - good luck and know you and your neighbors are in our families thoughts and prayers. We have gone thru this a lot living on the Fl coast, and for neighbors it brings out the best. Let us know the best way to help from down here and I’m sure Sigforum will respond.

Glad you were both were fortunate.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/flo...-rise-105832903.html

Hurricane Florence is by no means done with the Carolinas, where some rivers are still rising and thousands of people were told to plan to leave their homes on Monday before rivers reach their crest.

About 6,000 to 8,000 people in Georgetown County, South Carolina, were alerted to be prepared to evacuate potential flood zones ahead of a "record event" of up to 10 feet (3 meters) of flooding, which is expected to begin Tuesday near parts of the Pee Dee and Waccamaw rivers, county spokeswoman Jackie Broach-Akers said.

The county's emergency management director, Sam Hodge, said in a video message posted online that authorities are closely watching river gauges, and law enforcement would be going door to door in any threatened areas.

In North Carolina, five river gauges still showed major flood stage levels and five others were at moderate flood stage, according to the National Weather Service. The Cape Fear River was expected to crest and remain at flood stage through the early part of the week, and parts of Interstate 40 are expected to remain underwater for another week or more.

While hundreds of smaller roads remain impassable, there was some good news: Interstate 95 was reopened to all traffic Sunday night for the first time since the floods, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper announced.

Floodwaters already receding on one stretch of Interstate 40 left thousands of rotting fish on the pavement for firefighters to clean up. Video showed firefighters blasting the dead fish off the highway with a fire hose in Pender County in eastern North Carolina. The local fire department posted online: "We can add 'washing fish off of the interstate' to the long list of interesting things firefighters get to experience."

North Carolina Emergency Management Director Michael Sprayberry said major flooding is continuing in eastern counties along the Black, Lumber, Neuse and Cape Fear rivers.

"Florence continues to bring misery to North Carolina," Cooper said in a statement Sunday evening. He added that crews conducted about 350 rescues over the weekend and that travel remains treacherous in the southeastern area of his state. But he said National Guard members would be shifting next to more door-to-door and air search wellness checks on people in still-flooded areas.

The storm has claimed at least 43 lives since slamming into the coast Sept. 14.

Posts: 19566 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post