SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good! Shoot to kill, no charges will be pursued.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 11pm Sat

little change in the plot

Max Sustained wind 45 mph
Movement W at 2 mph

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
It got bad after Harvey in Houston. People had pulled furniture and belongings out front to yank out carpet, people would drive around, and steal what they could while theowners were working. It got to the point neighbors were setting up checkpoints into their community, and turn strangers away.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think a shoot on sight order should go out for looters. They are second only to child molesters on the need to die low life scale. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I rent so to be honest propery damamge is low on my list of concerns, and is one of the main reasons I left. Renters insurance covers the stuff I may lose. I want to get back because I am worried about the aftermath (scum bag looters). Storm damage is one thing crime is another. Luckily I live somewhere where the county sheriff is even more pro-2A than I am (thats hard) and about 80% of the residents in my small slice of pie are either active duty Marines or retired. Not the young devil pups but guys with families. We look out for one another and their peoperties.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Personally, I think a shoot on sight order should go out for looters. They are second only to child molesters on the need to die low life scale. Mad

Jim

There is NOTHING worse than thieves that are stealing from people that are already in a really bad situation.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 2 pm report

The "zoomed in" plot is still very similar to the one for 8am today

However the storm has moved far enough west that Jacksonville is no longer within the identified storm contour.

Max sustained wind 45 mph
Movement W at 3 mph

As a dramatic example of how slow the storm is moving right now, look at the 5 day forecast

NOAA:

Florence continues to creep slowly westward and weaken across eastern South Carolina. NOAA WSR-88D Doppler weather radar data indicate strong winds near 60 kt still exist between 3000-10000 ft within intense rainbands situated between the Cape Fear/Wilmington area and Bogue Inlet, North Carolina. Although those velocity values
would typically correlate to 50-kt surface winds, those winds appear to be associated with small mesoscale circulations and possible
supercell thunderstorms, and not the larger tangential wind field.

In contrast, surface observations during the past couple of hours have only shown sustained winds of around 40 kt, so that is the intensity used for this advisory

Florence's inner-core convection and wind field will continue to weaken throughout the next 72 hours or so. However, the outer wind field and an associated band of deep convection in the eastern semicircle will likely produce sustained tropical-storm-force winds for another 12 hours or so, with some high gusts continuing until the band moves inland by late Sunday

Although coastal storm surge flooding will gradually subside today, especially after the midday high-tide period ends, extremely heavy
rainfall will continue to be a serious hazard associated with slow-moving Florence.

More than two feet of rain has already fallen
across portions of southeastern North Carolina, and more rain is still to come, which will cause disastrous flooding that will spread
inland through the weekend.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Parts of Fayetteville are now under manadatory evacuation.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
^^^^

https://www.charlotteobserver....rticle218465300.html

FAYETTEVILLE
Cumberland County, Fayetteville and the town of Wade have issued a mandatory evacuation order for all residents within one mile of the banks of the Cape Fear River and the Little River within Cumberland County.

Fayetteville and Cumberland County leaders held a news conference Saturday afternoon to implore residents to take the threat seriously and prepare to leave if they live in areas expected to be inundated by floodwaters.

“This is for real,” said Fayetteville Mayor Mitch Colvin. “We are seriously concerned with the flooding. Please do not become complacent. Please do not become comfortable.”

The Little River area spans from the Cumberland-Harnett County Line to Highway 87 in Spring Lake, Highway 401 in Linden, Highway 217 and Luke Road. Residents are being asked to leave immediately.

“The worst is yet to come, as the flood waters from other areas are accumulating north of the county and filling the river basins beyond their capacities,” the local governments said in their prepared statement. They ordered all people to leave by 3 p.m.

Those who remain behind do so at their own risk, officials said, noting that rescue crews may not be sent into the flooded areas after evacuation.

Fayetteville Police Chief Gina Hawkins can invoke a curfew at her discretion, Colvin said.

All lanes of Interstate 95 are closed from exit 65 to 81 and alternate routes are posted. Drivers are cautioned that high water has been reported off 210 in the Spring Lake area.

Hawkins said people should remain indoors, in their residences or in shelters.

The county’s seven shelters are just under half full, with 556 people in them as of 11:10 a.m. Saturday. Power remains out at the Mac Williams Middle School and W.T. Brown Elementary School shelters due to generator issues. The county shelters can hold 1,225 people.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
NOAA 2 pm report

The "zoomed in" plot is still very similar to the one for 8am today

However the storm has moved far enough west that Jacksonville is no longer within the identified storm contour.

Movement W at 3 mph

As a dramatic example of how slow the storm is moving right now, look at the 5 day forecast

NOAA:

Florence continues to creep slowly westward and weaken across eastern South Carolina. NOAA WSR-88D Doppler weather radar data indicate strong winds near 60 kt still exist between 3000-10000 ft within intense rainbands situated between the Cape Fear/Wilmington area and Bogue Inlet, North Carolina. Although those velocity values
would typically correlate to 50-kt surface winds, those winds appear to be associated with small mesoscale circulations and possible
supercell thunderstorms, and not the larger tangential wind field.

In contrast, surface observations during the past couple of hours have only shown sustained winds of around 40 kt, so that is the intensity used for this advisory

Florence's inner-core convection and wind field will continue to weaken throughout the next 72 hours or so. However, the outer wind field and an associated band of deep convection in the eastern semicircle will likely produce sustained tropical-storm-force winds for another 12 hours or so, with some high gusts continuing until the band moves inland by late Sunday

Although coastal storm surge flooding will gradually subside today, especially after the midday high-tide period ends, extremely heavy
rainfall will continue to be a serious hazard associated with slow-moving Florence.

More than two feet of rain has already fallen
across portions of southeastern North Carolina, and more rain is still to come, which will cause disastrous flooding that will spread
inland through the weekend.

Anyone know about how/why hurricanes move? I wonder it moved relatively quickly before landfall, then came to almost a crawl after making landfall, then appears to speed up as it moves through TN and KY, then once it hits WV, VA, PA, then New England it really starts moving. Why is this?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
They are saying that north east side of the storm is gonna come over and stay over Charlotte for days. The eye is not the problem.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a strong high pressure over the Ohio Valley that is acting as a blocker. Florence was As strong or stronger that was blocking the high from moving east. With Florence weakening, the higher pressure is able to move. As the high pressure shifts east, Florence can move. It all has to do with the upper atmosphere winds. These winds and pressures steer storm systems.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know about how/why hurricanes move? I wonder it moved relatively quickly before landfall, then came to almost a crawl after making landfall, then appears to speed up as it moves through TN and KY, then once it hits WV, VA, PA, then New England it really starts moving. Why is this?

Yeah I have a rudimentary understanding of this. It has to do with the interaction of various weather systems. The best explanations are found in the discussions put out by the NHC. I do not understand the various details but can follow logic. This is a complex science. For example some years back Hurricane Charley was headed straight towards the MS. Gulf Coast. The NHC basically said it was not a threat to the MS Gulf Coast as hurricanes do not cross frontal boundaries. The storm eventually made a right turn and hit Florida. It all comes down to steering currents.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 1.7 inches of rain in the last 24 hours here. Really expected more, but from what we have seen, we will likely get another 2" by the end of the day. Tomorrow is game-on and we are projected to get 4"+. I am basically getting the canoe ready, and painting "ARC" on it now.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 5pm

max sustained wind 45 mph
Movement W at 2 mph (really slow)

odd shape w a null point at the eye

the NOAA NOS observing site at Johnny Mercer Pier in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, has been reporting sustained winds of 38-41 kt and gusts to 46-48 kt during the past few hours
during the passage of light to moderate rain showers

Wilmington area expected to get another 15 to 20 inches of rain over next 3 days

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NC Dept of Transportation

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/pre...avel-conditions.aspx

Road conditions across nearly all North Carolina are rapidly deteriorating. As Hurricane Florence continues to pound North Carolina, flooding increases moving from the east to the west. Downed trees are also adding to the travel dangers.

All of North Carolina is subject to flooding as the storm moves westward across the state. Beginning late Saturday morning, flash floods began closing major interstates, U.S. routes and N.C. routes, including I-40 between I-95 and Wilmington and parts of I-95.

All roadways in the state are at varying degrees of risk for flash flooding Saturday and Sunday with major river flooding anticipated into early next week. Because flash floods come so quickly, it is strongly recommended that North Carolina residents find high ground and remain there until the risk of flooding has decreased.

Identifying detour routes through North Carolina for those traveling through the state using interstates I-95, I-40, I-85, I-77 and I-26 is becoming increasingly difficult as the remnants of Hurricane Florence move west and are predicted to cause significant flooding in South Carolina.

At this time, drivers who would travel through North Carolina will be detoured completely around the state. If traveling south on I-95, the route around North Carolina will be:

I-64 West in Virginia to I-81, to I-75 in Tennessee to I-16 in Georgia. From there, drivers can access I-95.

This is an extremely long detour, but it is the detour that offers the lowest risk of flooding at this time. Please note those conditions can change as Hurricane Florence moves across the southern North Carolina border and begins to impact South Carolina.

Last updated 2:44 p.m. on Sep. 15, 2018

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Has the looting started yet?

Apparently it has.

https://www.wral.com/weather/h...anes/video/17846454/

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 8 pm

plot almost exactly the same as 5pm plot

Movement W at 2 mph

More than two-and-a-half feet of rain has already fallen across portions of Southeastern North Carolina

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
20 miles south of Charlotte. We have had a day of wind gusts and rain in bands. It will be calm one minute, a few minutes later the trees will be bending over with horizontal rain. So far we have been fortunate. We have heard 4 transformers blow. The power blinks and comes back on. My generator is sitting here ready. My heart goes out to the ones less fortunate.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This thing is moving as fast as a woman in a shoe store...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Reports of looting in storm-ravaged North Carolina

http://video.foxnews.com/v/583...3001/?#sp=show-clips

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post