SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
^^^ I suspect that flag will be gone soon...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hey has anyone seen the flag at Flying Pan Tower video, I hear there's a video, maybe we could get a link to that video... Big Grin

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Frying Pan Shoals

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Hey has anyone seen the flag at Flying Pan Tower video, I hear there's a video, maybe we could get a link to that video... Big Grin

I sure wish someone would create a forum where people could post that link, repeatedly. Wink

I'm not sure everyone knows where it is, based on the comments.

Frying Pan Ocean Cam owner page

quote:
The Frying Pan Tower is a Coast Guard Light Station located 34 miles off the coast of North Carolina

Putting in the lat/longitude from their page, it's about 53 miles SSE of downtown Wilmington, NC.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

https://youtu.be/deG4NxkouGM

The chat side of the feed says 110mph / 115mph

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Since the Hurricane was being blamed on DJT, will they give him the credit for it massive reduction in force/strength?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different

Link to original video: A link not going to Flying Pan Tower

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Here is the Chesapeake bay about an hour ago in Hampton, Va, and some shots of minor flooding in Poquoson, Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 5pm

looks like the first Hurricane winds have touched land

Max sustained wind 100 mph
movement WNW 5 mph (slowing down)
eye is about 90 miles off shore

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 8 pm update

Florence (eye) is now about 80 miles from shore
moving at 5 mph
when Florence was in open ocean, it was moving 15+ mph

Jacksonville and Wilmington have moved into a higher wind band

The next 18+ hours may be especially bad. With slow movement and strong wind, Florence is going to dump a lot of rain in the NC Southeast corner.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Ok...I just watched a guy on Fox News with his fricking arm wrapped around a light pole holding a microphone with what looks like a fairly stiff wind (maybe 25-30 MPH) moving a bush next to him...I mean, COME ON Roll Eyes ...at least wait till the real winds come (and sadly they will when this storm hits full on) Frown...it's not about your reporting drama...it's about letting viewers know what is going on with Florence.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok...I just watched a guy on Fox News with his fricking arm wrapped around a light pole holding a microphone with what looks like a fairly stiff wind (maybe 25-30 MPH) moving a bush next to him...I mean, COME ON ...at least wait till the real winds come (and they will when this storm hits full on)

Dan Rather pioneered this stuff with Hurricane Carla back in the 60s. It has become entertainment for the rest of those not affected. This kind of stuff is ridiculous.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Ok...I just watched a guy on Fox News with his fricking arm wrapped around a light pole holding a microphone with what looks like a fairly stiff wind (maybe 25-30 MPH) moving a bush next to him...I mean, COME ON Roll Eyes ...at least wait till the real winds come (and sadly they will when this storm hits full on) Frown...it's not about your reporting drama...it's about letting viewers know what is going on with Florence.

Dang rookies, this is how it’s done!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
cut the guy hanging onto the pole some slack

He is in Morehead City which has been in the Hurricane wind zone since 8pm

> 74 mph sustained wind

Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The Fox News guy in Morehead City NC is still wrapped around his light pole...wind has picked up some...

Seriously...everybody in the path of this storm stay safe...a bunch of rain and wind coming inland to already saturated land Frown ...don't take any chances.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 11 pm

eye is about 60 miles off shore

movement is NW 6 mph

max sustained wind 90 mph

Jacksonville and Wilmington are in the Hurricane zone.

the NW part of the storm receded slightly

big picture

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
longer history of the track

if you look closely, you can see the storm is starting to turn to the left

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
cut the guy hanging onto the pole some slack

He is in Morehead City which has been in the Hurricane wind zone since 8pm

> 74 mph sustained wind
Nope. I met that guy twice when he worked for the local ABC affiliate here in Orlando. He's a moron of monumental proportions, and hugging a light pole in a rain storm is right in his wheelhouse. Send him to Wisconsin in January and you'll find him stuck by his tongue to another light pole.

More importantly, I saw the storm has been downgraded to CAT 1. Still a powerful storm, but any downgrade in power is a plus.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I’m flipping between coverages I keep hearing that rescues are happening

If this is occurring in evac zones I think 2 things need to happen...
1.. those rescued need to kiss the first responders ass for risking their lives
2.. they need to be held financially responsible for the cost of the first responders to come save them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
While I’m flipping between coverages I keep hearing that rescues are happening

If this is occurring in evac zones I think 2 things need to happen...
1.. those rescued need to kiss the first responders ass for risking their lives
2.. they need to be held financially responsible for the cost of the first responders to come save them

Brunswick County (Southport, Oak Island, Sunset Beach, etc.) has shut down all emergency operations on the coast. Everyone will be on their own for the next 24 hours or so.

I can't get in contact with my friend on Kure Beach. He is in a bunker. They aren't saving anyone either.

Topsail Beach/Surf City are getting hit with 110 MPH winds right now. I expect most of the island is under water.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post