SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That's still going to be 24 hours of 70-110 mph winds over some areas. With feet of rain. No matter how you cut it, it's gonna be bad.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weather industries latest example of hype and exaggeration.

Gone from Cat 4 at landfall to what now. People who live on the coast should shelter in place.

Evacuation has screwed up the logistic of much of central NC. Has proven how utterly overpopulated NC has become.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Jim Cantore's not even going to get out of bed for this.

Early evacuations are necessary because by the time you know what the storm is going to do, it's too late to do anything about it. The 5 day forecasts are not particularly reliable, but they are all we have. The hurricane's strength can go the other way as well. The day before Charley made landfall in Florida, the prediction was it would be a Cat. 2. Instead, it was at the high end of Cat. 4.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 8am on 13 Sep 2018

ET is Zulu - 4 hours

0900Z = 0500 ET

0500 Thu 110 mph at initial location circle
1400 Thu 110 at first H circle
0200 Fri 105 at second H circle
1400 Fri 80 at third H circle (inland)
0200 Sat 60 at first S circle
0200 Sun 35 at first D circle

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

NOAA 8 am Rain forecast

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its always "hype and exaggeration" when the event isn't as bad as originally predicted and it's mismanagement, incompetence and inept when the event exceeds the prediction...

Better to have people leave early and return to homes alive than the alternative.

I get the frustration at being hyped up it's just part and partial to experiencing these events, since Katrina you'll never see a Hurricane not taken seriously...

You really never know what they are going to do, as said this could just as easily gone to a Cat 5 as a Cat 2.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

NOAA 8 am Rain forecast

I'm in that lone yellow dot in SE Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Its always "hype and exaggeration" when the event isn't as bad as originally predicted and it's mismanagement, incompetence and inept when the event exceeds the prediction...

Better to have people leave early and return to homes alive than the alternative.

I get the frustration at being hyped up it's just part and partial to experiencing these events, since Katrina you'll never see a Hurricane not taken seriously...

You really never know what they are going to do, as said this could just as easily gone to a Cat 5 as a Cat 2.
The problem here is credibility. As someone who's lived in Central Florida for over 50 years, I can tell you that the media over-hyping these storms damages their credibility and in the long run, results in people ignoring them when they over promise and the storms under-deliver. 'That' is a dangerous situation. Not unlike all other news items, accuracy in reporting, even if it didn't generate as many clicks to websites and eyeballs on TV channels, would serve everyone much better. But we live in reality TV times, and the media has embraced that role in an effort to line their pockets.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Weather industries latest example of hype and exaggeration.

Gone from Cat 4 at landfall to what now. People who live on the coast should shelter in place.

We could always go back to 1900 when the first hint Galveston got was a warning from Cuba 6 days in advance which were ignored as exaggerated and irrelevant.

quote:
The problem here is credibility. As someone who's lived in Central Florida for over 50 years, I can tell you that the media over-hyping these storms damages their credibility and in the long run, results in people ignoring them when they over promise and the storms under-deliver. 'That' is a dangerous situation.

100% agree, and it's unfortunate that the cycle of overhype/ignore builds up until another under-estimated (by the people) miss costs a lot of lives.

Meteorology is a little hard for the average guy to get good info on, let alone grasp just he facts instead of the headlines.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12403 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The problem here is credibility. As someone who's lived in Central Florida for over 50 years, I can tell you that the media over-hyping these storms damages their credibility and in the long run, results in people ignoring them when they over promise and the storms under-deliver. 'That' is a dangerous situation. Not unlike all other news items, accuracy in reporting, even if it didn't generate as many clicks to websites and eyeballs on TV channels, would serve everyone much better. But we live in reality TV times, and the media has embraced that role in an effort to line their pockets.

Katrina effect, its never going to stop...

No doubt, since we're in the same neighborhood We've sat through the days of WAGD! reporting, dirty laundry, stories that sell, thats the way of the news world, and hey, the hurricane exploitation reporters have all that pent up energy...

I do agree it can get hyped, but again, if they didn't we'd bitch that we didn't know enough to get out of the way and blame them,

One way, too much info and folks sensitivities are upset, the other way not enough info, and people die....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 11 am

The outer edge of Florence has hit land

This is the light blue > 39 mph band (not hurricane levels)

The eye of the storm is still about 140 miles out to sea

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
One way, too much info and folks sensitivities are upset, the other way not enough info, and people die....
In the current environment of social media, TV, and the web, its virtually impossible to not get enough information to make an educated decision on what to do about a storm. Its media 'hype' that infuriates me. It poisons people's interaction with the media, destroys trust, and lays the groundwork for people to ignore warnings when they shouldn't. The media (and the weather community too) totally monopolizes on these weather events to drive clicks to their sites, and eyeballs to their channels. All of that equals more $$$ for their owners, which is the ultimate goal.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Water's rising on the shorelines of the twin rivers and in the sound. Boat launch areas that I've seen are starting to be under water already. And the rain hasn't even started.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Frying Pan Tower has a direct view of the hurricane when it comes in. Here is their live webcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Under water cam https://youtu.be/a-gJoO9A6so

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xh9tVu2P4_M

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well we could ban Hurricanes and stop the reporting Big Grin

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 2 pm

eye of storm is roughly 110 miles off shore
moving at 10 mph
max sustained wind at 105 mph

The bands around the eye:
light blue > 39 mph
green > 58
brown > 74

zoom in pic

zoom out pic

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Frying Pan Tower live feed is intense. Is that 100+ mph?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
How high's the water, mama?
Five feet high and risin'
How high's the water, papa?
Five feet high and risin'

Johnny Cash

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Even though this storm has been downgraded the diameter of the tropical storm winds have increased.

Here's a live video of Frying Pand Tower which is about 20 miles offshore of Buxton..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

And here is a video of water over washing the dunes just North of Hatteras Village where we have our beach house. I ubderstand that this is now a breach of the island and the ocean and sound are now connected ...

https://m.facebook.com/story.p...rum-thread.aspx&_rdr

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post