SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MacOS Mojave - Anyone upgrade yet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacOS Mojave - Anyone upgrade yet? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
You’ll find it isn’t a very difficult learning curve. Many keyboard shortcuts are the same if you substitute “Command” for “CTRL” (command+C to copy, command+V to paste, etc.)

And the Option key is your friend. When you have any drop down menu expanded, hold the Option key and watch the choices magically change to provide other "options". Just tapping the Wi-Fi icon in your menu bar shows you what network you are connected to, and other available networks. Hold down the Option key while you tap the icon, and you'll also see full details of your connection, including router, IP address, the type of security in use, the BSSID, the Country, RSSI (signal strength), Noise, TX rate, etc. Use the Option key just about anywhere (including in Apps), for more choices. Another example, when you tap the Apple icon in the menu bar, you'll see Restart... and Shutdown... The ellipsis (3 dots) means you will have to confirm your choice. Hold down the Option key, and the 3 dots disappear, giving you an immediate Restart or Shutdown, with no confirmation box.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I recently moved to a Mac Book Pro from an old windows based PC, still learning but love it. I'm going to follow this thread before I upgrade to the new OS. My book is a 17 15" purchased refurb from Apple.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Mojave is a non-starter for me based on Apple dropping several vital services from the Mojave Server application (it no longer serves email, web, DNS, DHCP, and several other necessary services).

Bad move, Apple!

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Mojave is a non-starter for me based on Apple dropping several vital services from the Mojave Server application (it no longer serves email, web, DNS, DHCP, and several other necessary services).

Bad move, Apple!

Postfix and Apache are included in the distribution, just takes vi and Terminal to configure them to your liking. You might be able to compile bind, dovecot, and isc-dhcp-server, but I've never tried those (have compiled other things though). XCode is required for compiling, and it has become so bloated that the download is darn near as big as a full OS download.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've updated two of our Macbook Pros to Mojave.
No problems. I did make sure to back up beforehand.

It's also running on an older 2012 MBP 15" and appears to run smoothly (and perhaps increased speed over High Sierra). Time will tell.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Bad move, Apple!

Postfix and Apache are included in the distribution, just takes vi and Terminal to configure them to your liking. You might be able to compile bind, dovecot, and isc-dhcp-server, but I've never tried those (have compiled other things though). XCode is required for compiling, and it has become so bloated that the download is darn near as big as a full OS download.

Why use macOS when robust server OS's are readily available, better performing, hardware-independent, and free? The only virtue over BSD, Linux, etc. is a pretty cross-service-integrated GUI that eases configuration, now that option is no longer available.

For example: when I became frustrated trying to reconcile postfix and cyrus-imap's conflicted ideas of how to talk to SASL, I was able to bring up a High Sierra email server instance in a matter of minutes as a temporary expedient. This is the functionality that I am going to miss.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just installed on a 2012 Mac Mini, seems fine so far.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why use macOS when robust server OS's are readily available, better performing, hardware-independent, and free?

Personally, for my home network, I don't use macOS for those things, and agree there are better options. I run postfix, apache, isc-dhcp-server, dovecot, openvpn, ntp with a gps clock, unbound and bind, and my weather station app all on FreeBSD. But, you sounded like your were disappointed in the new macOS server app, as if you used it regularly. Sorry, just making suggestions.

I do always configure postfix and apache to my liking on macOS, simply because they are included and already compiled.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Has anyone who upgraded, and who has a non-retina screen (older Mac, external monitor) noticed any "fuzziness" in the fonts? There is a lengthy thread on MacRumors discussing this, as well as a Terminal command to help. Apparently it is more noticeable on lower resolution displays (1920x1080, e.g.).

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
XCode is required for compiling, and it has become so bloated that the download is darn near as big as a full OS download.

The XCode update is actually larger than the Mojave download (5.9 GB vs. 4.9 GB, respectively)!
quote:
Has anyone who upgraded, and who has a non-retina screen (older Mac, external monitor) noticed any "fuzziness" in the fonts? There is a lengthy thread on MacRumors discussing this, as well as a Terminal command to help. Apparently it is more noticeable on lower resolution displays (1920x1080, e.g.).

I did a test install of Mojave on a 15" mid-2012 MBP, and I don't see any of the reported fuzziness (aliasing) problems with the fonts. That MBP has the high resolution (for then) anti-glare 1680x1050 display which might explain why I don't see any problem with the fonts.

I strongly dislike dark mode, but using light mode turns the background of the dock white, which makes most of the icons blend in with the background and not very distinguishable from the background. After using the right search words, I came across this article How to Use Only a Dark Menu Bar and Dock in macOS Mojave, and now my desktop looks "normal" again. I don't think that I will update my other MBP's soon (yes, I have a problem Smile), but after that dark mode tweak, I'm pretty pleased with Mojave, especially Stacks.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I did get the upgrade last night. So far, I like it, though I do see the fuzziness that rh described. Mine has the 1440x900 display.

Thank you, rh, for the link to the Dark Menu Bar article. I'll be exploring that this evening.

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Backing up prior to Mojave upgrade question:

My wife and I had Time Machine for our older MacBooks and it went belly-up within two years, losing everything. To say that we were pissed is a gross understatement.

She and I both have Western Digital hard drives for our new MacBook Pros, and we back up data and files regularly. Will that be good enough?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Should be fine, but quite frankly, with how inexpensive backup drives are right now, I'd get another set of backup drives and alternate the backups....remember: One Is None, Two Is One, Three Is Two

quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
>
>
She and I both have Western Digital hard drives for our new MacBook Pros, and we back up data and files regularly. Will that be good enough?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

My wife and I had Time Machine for our older MacBooks and it went belly-up within two years, losing everything. To say that we were pissed is a gross understatement.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a good investment ($40) to make for your Mac backup needs. It will clone your drive to an external that is bootable, as well as having all your data on it. You can also clone your drive to an image file, which you can store externally. You can mount the image and have your full backed up drive right there. Naturally, these are one-time full backups, like you would want to do before an upgrade. CCC can also be scheduled and make incremental backups.

When in doubt, mumble

Member!
posted Hide Post
Mojave pisses me off because a top of the line i7 2012 macbook Pro 17" with the upgraded AMD GPU video isn't Mojave compatible, while my exact same except lower range video (Intel cpu video) 2012 15" Macbook Pro is upgradeable. Apple could have simply turned off the AMD GPU so it runs on the CPU video on the 17" MBP and Mojave would work fine, but no, they would rather just say it won't work.

So now I will have to hack the system to turn of the AMD GPU and install manually.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just upgraded my '16 MacBook Pro to Mojave today. So far so good.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
It seems to be doing well on my mini.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides, Quickbooks will never upgrade past QBP2016 for Mac, so it looks like my tech is now frozen for awhile. I’ll never give Intuit another dollar, let alone a monthly subscription, after their treatment of Gunsite.

I switched to Banktivity a couple of years ago, it’s taken some upgrades to get the functionality I wanted, but I’m happy I made the switch. Easier to keep accounts updated, for one thing.

Carbon Copy Cloner was named above and I second its use for external hard drive backup. I also use Backblaze cloud backup, in addition to iCloud document storage.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok I thought it was running good until I tried to backup to Time Machine tonight. It stops about halfway through and says there was an error copying files. Says to run disk utility on the backup. I did, no issues found, and then tried again. Still no dice. Searching the net I see this has been a problem since Mojave. Anyone else see this? I do manual backups, not automated (my back up drive is not always connected).

My Carbon Copy cloner seems to be doing fine, should finish soon. It is on a different external.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Regarding the problem with Time Machine and Mojave, I am not experiencing a problem using Time Machine with my Mojave test system (mid-2012 15" pre-Retina MBP). However, searching and reading does indicate that there is a bug in Mojave's Time Machine, depending upon hardware configuration (Mac Minis?) or the installation and use of the software "App Cleaner". If you're using "App Cleaner", the developer has offered a workaround here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8561149 . In that topic it is also mentioned that a more general workaround is to reformat your backup drive to be case sensitive (which will erase your existing backups).

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post