SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MacOS Mojave - Anyone upgrade yet?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacOS Mojave - Anyone upgrade yet? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I have a 2016 MacBok Pro, never bothered upgrading to High Sierra, but decided to go ahead and be quick on the trigger to go ahead and upgrade to Mojave that was released yesterday.

It is still installing, so haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, but sounds like a few good features.

Anyone else jump in yet?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I only have 4G's memory in my 11" Mac Air, I'm gonna wait.

I don't know if my 2009 15" wide screen Mac Book Pro will take the download and run with it..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
As I only have 4G's memory in my 11" Mac Air, I'm gonna wait.

I don't know if my 2009 15" wide screen Mac Book Pro will take the download and run with it..

Sounds like it is time for you to upgrade Wink

quote:
From an article I read:
With this new update, however, these are the Macs that will be supported by macOS 10.14 Mojave.

MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2012 or newer)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer, or older models with Metal-compatible GPU)
iMac Pro (2017)

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, just now. No issues seen, except my desktop photo was switched for the default. Took 45 min.

6mo old Maxed out Macbook Pro 15"

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I upgraded one non-critical iMac last night to see how it goes. No problems so far, but I’ll give it a week before doing my work computer.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting (mid-2012 mbp) a few days.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Install was uneventful. Have been doing some long overdue clean up and backup to Time Machine.

So far no issues. I really don't use the computer that much as I mostly use my iPad. Will go "old school" for a few days and work the laptop to make sure everything is working as expected.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I downloaded the full installer and made my USB stick for installations. I did a test install on an external SSD and played with it a bit. Later today I will install in on another external SSD to keep, upgrade each point release, and play with as it progresses. I have no plans to upgrade my primary Mac's though. Will run High Sierra on them until the final point release of Mojave is out (next September, probably). I tried the Dark Mode, and it is interesting. I will like to see which of my apps support it and how it looks, as 10.14.x moves along. I've learned my lessons about jumping on a new release early.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not yet, I have to get my screen replaced (2014 MBP with the screen delamination issue) next week and will likely upgrade after that is done.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Upgrading my Mid '16 MBPro right now. 31 minutes to go. By the way, I'm on my Desktop windows 10 machine currently.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I upgraded as soon as it came out.

My 2009 Macbook died recently and failed resurrection and exorcism, so I picked up a refurbished MacBook Air. So far quite happy with it.

The old MacBook was kept up to date with each new operating system, however, and had no issues up until it's dying breath.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
2017 Macbook Air is running fine on Mojave.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
There has already been a security flaw found in Mojave.

Mojave Security Flaw Discovered

quote:
There's already a vulnerability in Apple's newest operating system.

Security researcher Patrick Wardle recently told Bleeping Computer that he was able to bypass privacy protections in the new macOS Mojave to reach sensitive user data.

"I found a trivial, albeit 100% reliable flaw in their implementation," Wardle said of Mojave's security protections.

Wardle was specifically able to access the information about confidential user contacts (for example, addresses and phone numbers).

The flaw extends to a number of other Mojave security features as well. And this attack doesn't affect hardware, so Wardle can't use it to get into your webcam.

To access the information, Wardle used an unauthorized app to copy his address book to the desktop. The process takes only a minute.

However, we don't yet know the exact details of what Wardle has done. He'll be presenting them at the upcoming Mac Security Conference he is organizing in November. Until then, we won't know exactly how to protect your data from programs like this.

In the meantime, however, you can select and pre-authorize only certain apps to access sensitive data. To do this, go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy.

You should also be very careful about who you allow to access your computer, and about downloading and running programs you aren't familiar with.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Every time I get 4-5 yrs with a PC and it starts giving me issues I threaten to go MAC and forget the PC's.

That day came yesterday, when I bought a new 15" MAC book pro. I don't want anyone giving me any shit over this. I don't want to hear about the money spent, etc. PC fanboys keep it to yourself.

Started getting into it today. EASILY set up my e mail. I'm REALLY hoping this is a positive relationship.

Biggest task for this laptop is me running Lightroom Classic. Otherwise it's e mail, visiting web sites, the normal stuff.

Any Forums for MAC users? Especially for NEW, non techie users?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Every time I get 4-5 yrs with a PC and it starts giving me issues I threaten to go MAC and forget the PC's.

That day came yesterday, when I bought a new 15" MAC book pro. I don't want anyone giving me any shit over this. I don't want to hear about the money spent, etc. PC fanboys keep it to yourself.

Started getting into it today. EASILY set up my e mail. I'm REALLY hoping this is a positive relationship.

Biggest task for this laptop is me running Lightroom Classic. Otherwise it's e mail, visiting web sites, the normal stuff.

FN in MT

Welcome!

If you head over to Mac Rumors they have some decent forums broken up by specific categories

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My 2015 Mac Air is upgrading as I type.

I too got tired of replacig PC's every 3-4 years. Finally bought the Air and WOW! During set up and learning to use it I kept getting frustrated. I was so used to the windows convoluted way of doing things, once I relaxed and let the "Mac" flow through me it all became clear. Easy as pie to use, almost three years old and not even a hint of slowing down.

I haven't had any issues with updating yet so hopefully this one goes smooth also.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
From an article I read:
With this new update, however, these are the Macs that will be supported by macOS 10.14 Mojave.

MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2012 or newer)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer, or older models with Metal-compatible GPU)
iMac Pro (2017)

It looks like the longetivity of my Macs have brought me to the end of the line. Most of my Macs are 2011-2012 models, so no more upgrades for me. I do have one 2015 MBP, but I’ll stay on HS to keep everything the same.

Besides, Quickbooks will never upgrade past QBP2016 for Mac, so it looks like my tech is now frozen for awhile. I’ll never give Intuit another dollar, let alone a monthly subscription, after their treatment of Gunsite.

Speaking of which, I need a replacement for TurboTax for Business.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

FN in MT

Welcome!!

Best advice I received when I switched many years ago was to go about using the OS in the way you would normally think. Dumb it down from typical window process

Apple used to have online tutorials I’d check into. If an Apple store is close you can go and take any of the classes they give at the store

Want to delete a program.... drag it to the trash can and empty (some files may still be there, but for the most part all gone. DLL hell os no longer)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the Welcome and the info...I'll check out both suggestions.

My wife came home tonight with the "MAC Book, For Dummies". So that should help.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

FN in MT

Welcome to dark side!

You’ll find it isn’t a very difficult learning curve. Many keyboard shortcuts are the same if you substitute “Command” for “CTRL” (command+C to copy, command+V to paste, etc.)

Want to get a quick look at almost any file? Select it in finder and hit the space bar.

I don’t do any Mac forums, but macrumors forum is probably the most popular.

If I need to figure out how to do something I just google it and a wealth of info comes up.