SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GPS hand held mapping help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS hand held mapping help Login/Join 
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted
I recently purchased a Garmin Alpha 100 for bird hunting and dog training. I have been investigating mapping software and I am looking for input on what others have used.

I would really like to be able to overlay satellite imagery over 24k topo maps in the same scale.

I primarily hunt in North Carolina so I would start with the North Carolina chip.

The two biggest contenders right now are Garmin Hunt Maps and OnX maps.

Does anyone have any experience with either software or have knowledge about an alternative?

JD

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
For clarity, are you wanting to use the desired software on the GPS unit or as a stand alone? Platform of device could determine answer(s). Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap alternative that seems to actually outperform most GPS: "BackCountry Nav Topo Maps GPS" app for your Android phone (if you have one).

Free version for evaluation. Free maps. Map purchases and upgrade optional.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
For clarity, are you wanting to use the desired software on the GPS unit or as a stand alone? Platform of device could determine answer(s). Smile

I will be using the selected software on my Garmin Alpha 100. I picked that unit because it integrates the GPS functions with an e-collar for my bird dog.

quote:
Cheap alternative that seems to actually outperform most GPS: "BackCountry Nav Topo Maps GPS" app for your Android phone (if you have one).

Free version for evaluation. Free maps. Map purchases and upgrade optional.

I want to avoid using my cell phone as my primary GPS. Alot of the areas I hunt have poor cell reception and I don't want to drain the battery. I am also notoriously hard on equipment. I would probably end up dropping my phone off a cliff or in a puddle. The phone will remain safely inside a dry sack in my pack.

JD

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Several overlays to include topo, weather, elevation and you can create waypoints and add objects. You can then export files in a couple different formats including Garmin GPS.

http://caltopo.com/map

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I use Avenza maps on my cell.

Open Caltopo and generate my own pdf of where I want to explore. Send it to my phone and store it on the microsd.

Put my phone in airplane mode (the battery lasts way longer ya know).

Pull in the map and turn tracking on.

Works excellent for me and several others I know.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post