SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When It's Time to Give Up Your Guns, Who's Got Your Back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When It's Time to Give Up Your Guns, Who's Got Your Back? Login/Join 
posted
Due to old age or infirmity that is. Who do you trust to make that decision when or if you are no longer trusted to? Friends, relatives, wife? Do you have a plan? I hope that when that day comes, I'm too far gone to miss them. Can't imagine this going over well with me...... Alzheimer's runs in the family.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
When I deploy my guns go to my father. If that no longer becomes an option, probably my uncle, or my sister, locked in my safe. If neither of those, maybe two friends I trust like that.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Doesn't really matter. They can't take them without due process through the courts unless you gave them legal guardianship over you.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son...I have his back, he has mine...As always...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My wife first, then my son-in-law.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have made no plans along these lines.
I need to get on this...

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a sister I assume will outlive me and thus inherit everything. Barring this, I have nothing planned and will arrange their sale while still able to do so. Money to whatever charity is relevant @ the time.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
My son...I have his back, he has mine...As always...

This!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've made a list of the guns and their current values. Items that are truly rare, as in fewer than 50 exist, are categorized accordingly and an auction contact that specializes in that stuff is listed. All of it goes to Mrs DF and then to the boys. NFA stuff is on a trust.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I've made a list of the guns and their current values. Items that are truly rare, as in fewer than 50 exist, are categorized accordingly and an auction contact that specializes in that stuff is listed. All of it goes to Mrs DF and then to the boys. NFA stuff is on a trust.

Same, but can I add everything I have to my trust? I ask because like you just NFA on there currently. I wonder if I can just add everything to it to protect it all. When I pass I want everything I have going to my trustee anyhow.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Doesn't really matter. They can't take them without due process through the courts unless you gave them legal guardianship over you.

Can’t?

I understand what you’re saying, but can’t? Let’s rephrase that. They may not be able to legally take those weapons under normal circumstances, but if you’re mentally incapacitated by disease, most likely you won’t be complaining about it. If you are capable of making a legal complaint either someone jumped the gun on you or when you get it to court, you’re likely going to be disappointed. I took the car keys away from my mother when she got to feeble and confused by her dementia to safely drive. I did it with a conversation with her and appealed to her based on values I know she still had, but take the keys and cars was going to happen regardless. I couldn’t have lived with myself if something happened and I know she couldn’t have either. The same would apply to guns had that been the issue. I no longer have a relative in which guns and mental capacity might be an issue, but even for myself, if the time should come, there are those around me that I would hope would do the same.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My youngest son, an Army captain. He will be best equipped to assess whether or not I should have access to them.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Same, but can I add everything I have to my trust? I ask because like you just NFA on there currently. I wonder if I can just add everything to it to protect it all. When I pass I want everything I have going to my trustee anyhow.

IANAL, but I don't see why not.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For members who don't have one, I highly recommend getting a Gun Trust setup asap.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I add everything I own to my trust. It's setup in case I bite the big one.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Yes you can put all of your firearms and firearm related items such as ammo or gun safe in your NFA trust and the items will go to who you specify so there is no question to your wishes. The only NFA items that can be in the trust are ones registered to the trust. I have a few NFA items I bought as an individual and now I need to bite the bullet and pay the $200 each to transfer them to the trust.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I gave everything I own to one person for him to do what he wishes with it, he will be my trustee, guardian, heir. You cannot believe the freedom I felt immediately after signing the papers.

Now he has the worries!! Smile

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I set up my trust so that my nephew would receive everything gun related.

I figured he would still be alive.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post