SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Did Man Come Into Existence?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Did Man Come Into Existence? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
#1 God created us.

I won't say évolution doesn't exist at some level but the idea of man coming from pond scum is crazy.

But mud is OK? Or ribs in the case of women right?
Just not pond scum, that's right out.

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
#1 God created us.

I won't say évolution doesn't exist at some level but the idea of man coming from pond scum is crazy.

But mud is OK? Or ribs in the case of women right?
Just not pond scum, that's right out.

Biblical imagery not your strength? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. But, there are helpful resources.

https://www.amazon.com/Diction...-Ryken/dp/0830814515

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
#2, while being open to the possibility/likelihood of #1 as a precursor/complement to #2.

As in, the universe may very well be created, designed, and ran by a Creator, but with it also having taking millions of years of evolution, guided by both intelligent design and direct intervention, to get to where we are today.

The ideas aren't mutually exclusive.

I think I’m kind of with Rogue on this. An omnipotent being could create a past, present and future simultaneously and exist across time. I think there is some allusion in the Bible that God knew Adam was going to sin before he did it.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some men did come into existence from pond scum. In fact, they haven't changed all that much from the pond scum days.

Other men came into existence from a more enlightened supreme being who is perfect with the exception of the one big mistake, failing to clean up the pond scum before the little critters in there had a chance to reproduce.

Posts: 1034 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The OP's question reminded me of an incident from my youth.

My brother and I had been in a conversation with our father for almost 3 hours, and it was getting late at night. I could tell he was wanting to get to bed when he really tried to wrap it up and end it. He had mentioned the fact that he had to get up for work in the morning and we had to get up for school a couple of times. Finally, I said, "Okay, Dad, but just one small, last question, okay?" He sighed and said yes.

I asked, "What is the meaning of life?"

We all laughed and hit the sack.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10694 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
If not #1, then who cares?

Scientists. Curious people. Most people. Me.

My neighbor is a scientist, and an atheist. He once knocked on our door, told us he was scheduled for some surgery, wanted us to pray for him. Who would you like us to pray to (as you are an atheist)? "Just covering my bases".

He fully believes in natural evolution. I asked him if, given billions of years of evolution, a jet plane could form itself on our street, fully fueled, and take off? He replied that if the matter and energy are "destined" for such, then yes, it could happen. I asked where "destiny" comes from. He remembered he was late for an appointment. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
I believe every word of the Bible.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7047 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I believe that there is a Divine Creator, an Unmade Maker. I believe in the Trinity.
However I also believe that God could have worked through the process of evolution.
I also believe that my human limitations make it impossible to know the answer(s).

God bless you all, my friends.
[Disclosure: posted on post-procedure narcotics, feeling very mellow and loving.
Thank God he created anesthesiologists and pharmaceutical companies. Wink ]

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#2 of course

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
If not #1, then who cares?

My neighbor is a scientist, and an atheist. He once knocked on our door, told us he was scheduled for some surgery, wanted us to pray for him. Who would you like us to pray to (as you are an atheist)? "Just covering my bases".

He fully believes in natural evolution. I asked him if, given billions of years of evolution, a jet plane could form itself on our street, fully fueled, and take off? He replied that if the matter and energy are "destined" for such, then yes, it could happen. I asked where "destiny" comes from. He remembered he was late for an appointment. Smile

Sounds like he has a lot of faith. He just doesn’t know what he has it in.

Posts: 986 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do God's ever disagree?
And
If so then what?
And if I believe and follow the word of three God's
Does it give me a better shot
At eternal happiness ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Do God's ever disagree?
And
If so then what?
And if I believe and follow the word of three God's
Does it give me a better shot
At eternal happiness ?

If you're referring to the Trinity, God is one God in three persons. Christians are monotheists.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

Sounds like he has a lot of faith. He just doesn’t know what he has it in.

I think he has full faith and confidence that science is the ultimate god. I did once have a somewhat recognized scientist comment to me "how many things were considered scientific truth 50 years ago that today we laugh at? Roll forward - how many things do we consider scientific truth today that in 50 years we will laugh at"?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster: I asked him if, given billions of years of evolution, a jet plane could form itself on our street, fully fueled, and take off? He replied that if the matter and energy are "destined" for such, then yes, it could happen. I asked where "destiny" comes from. He remembered he was late for an appointment. Smile

Airplanes are not living creatures, so they can’t evolve. However, the humans needed to build one certainly did and could do so again.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
God

Posts: 4661 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
How Did Man Come Into Existence?

Related questions: Did anyone keep the receipt and are we still within the return window? Wink

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
GOD

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
7) You're correct. Let's just leave it at that.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2824 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post